Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Emotional Based Eating, Binging, or Grazing

This anti-carb nonsense going around for years now is just that ... nonsense. There's a revolving door on casting one or other macro as EVIIIIL. Used to be fat. Now it's carbs. It's all bullshit. We need adequate amounts of all to function. We need carbs to function. No carb diets are utter insanity.

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    I have been in a bad food way as of late. Like, a really lot.
    I am so angry with the healthcare system right now. I have been diagnosed with an eating disorder and have been in treatment a few times, both residential and IOP. I will readily admit I have been non-compliant with follow-up care; it's a mixed bag of no money and just simply feeling like I don't deserve it.

I had an assessment to enter treatment again. They'll take me. They want the entirety of what it would cost up front. With my deductible and yearly max with insurance, that is $6350. I don't know about any of you, but I certainly don't have $6350 sitting around. If I did, I would have probably remained in outpatient treatment and wouldn't need a higher level of care. I feel sad and scared and hopeless. How do I try and fix that? Food. I don't really binge much anymore, nor do I really purge often, but I certainly have issues with fast food addiction. I have maxed out all my credit cards with fast food runs. I try and make goals to not eat it, one day at a time. I fail nearly everyday.

The dietitian I see tries really hard to accommodate my financial restraints, but she is at her limit with that, as well. I have gone to OA in the past - like anything else, it really varies in terms of the quality of the meetings and what is shared.

There really isn't a point of this post except to type it all out and tell someone how I am feeling. I hate this and it needs to stop, but given my current restraints, I don't know how.

Please know you're not alone. Thanks for sharing
    I don't even try to deal with my ED. It's the least of my issues
    Hopefully you can find enough support system to get through this
    "this way, that way, i am of two minds" -sappho
    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/index.htm

Yesterday I made the mistake of mentioning to my mother that my husband and I were going to try to start eating healthier by cutting out processed foods. She immediately said, "Well what about weight watchers?" even though I said nothing about trying to lose weight. The only reason I brought it up was because it was part of why I wanted to leave her house early - so we could get home in time to do some meal prep.

Now, it's obvious to anyone who knows me that I've gained a significant amount of weight in the last year and a half. But that is a topic I avoid entirely with my mother because she tends to be overly focused on weight and looks, etc. and it's very triggering for me. I'm certain that her obsession with weight and looks and good vs. bad foods is, at least in part, a cause of my eating disorder.

I've already gotten a phone call from her today to check in on how our meal prep went last night. I told her we didn't get much done because we got home so late, but that I grabbed a whole wheat bagel on my way in this morning. Her response? "Well, isn't that too many calories? Can you even eat that much?" *TRIGGERED* I've been in a downward spiral ever since. It's all I can think about, like my weight is the elephant in the room every time I'm around her or talking to her.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say right now, other than I'm having a shit time dealing with ONE FUCKING COMMENT.

Guys, my craving for sweets and carbs is seriously in like HEROIN territory. I couldn't even get through one day.

How do I stop this? I've been googling all day. I'm seeing a lot of similar things - drink more water, etc. But I'm also seeing studies about how quitting sugar after over-consumption for an extended period of time leads to psychological withdrawal symptoms similar to those of people withdrawing from drugs or alcohol.

I'm berating myself hourly for having no willpower. My psychologist self says to stop the negative talk, accept that this is difficult, be more understanding of that, etc. but it's not happening.

I'm taking years off my life by poisoning myself with this shit and I. Can't. Stop. WTF is wrong with me? I never used to eat this way!

That's one thing that annoys me with the whole "drink a min of 500ml of water an hour" shenanigans, the constant pissing. If I am out and about not at work/home, it's an exercise of planning my journey around toilets. SO ANNOYING.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I have been living under the worst stress of my life since mid January. The anxiety has manifested itself into horrible spells of binge eating resulting in my gaining 40 pounds in the past three months. It's like a vicious cycle because the weight gain is ADDING to my stress, anxiety, and depression. I started taking my prescription phentermine again today but no pill will do the trick unless I get the binging under control. The cravings are worse late at night when I am convinced I won't be able to sleep unless I eat something so I usually hit up the fast food joints that are open later. I stuff my face with fatty foods and then go to sleep. This needs to stop not just for my mental health but also for my physical well being - when I try to do chores around the house my back is killing me and I get out of breath. Today is the first day in what I am sure will be a long and difficult journey. I can't believe I've let myself go like this and I am experiencing a lot of self-loathing because of it.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Kala .

Have no real solid advice. Myself, I try and "prepare" for grazing. Meaning...eat food that isn't particularly bad that I have readily available for when I feel like it.
    - Hummus. I always intentionally store cans of chickpeas (or other beans), garlic, lemon, pine nuts or other nuts, lots/lots/lots of fresh and dried herbs, and oil, so when I feel like it, I put my immersion blender into it even when it is the middle of the night. Sometimes I slap it on melba toast with a good wine on the side to make it feel less like grazing, even though it is probably worse so. varying with peas and bean and herbs is almost an art with limitless potential.
    - Cottage Cheese. To combine with a bit of pesto, onions, garlic, artichokes, capers, tomatoes, lots of herbs like black pepper, oregano, rosemary, saffran....
    - Quark. Ideal for combining with a spoon of caocao and some honey for that necessary chocolate fix.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

I don't buy the thing I love, and I don't eat it. There's a reason there's no jellybeans or tubs of ice cream in my place, as I know I will eat them in a day. We had candy for easter in case kids came around to beg for it (some sort of Swedish thing, like halloween) and I just ended up snarfing the lot.

Like Spikey I have graze food, of which hummus is one too.

--greek yoghurt with nutmeg and honey is my "I am craving icecream" fix. Works.

--tomatoes. Slice them with a bit of oil, vinegar and salt and it fixes my crisp cravings.

I still cannot for the life of me stop myself from eating toast though, for all the crispbreads in the world cannot replace it. (I've tried, can't quit bread. I love you, bread.)

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    hummus is one too.
    tomatoes
    toast

I try to eat before 8 p.m. and then I brush and floss and use mouthwash, and that's my cutoff point for eating. It would be a pain for me to re-clean my teeth again if I ate again and that's my deterrent from eating again.

there are wonders working inside me Red_Rose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    This is basically me. If I don't buy it, I can't eat it. I cannot have junk food in my house ever. No ice cream, no chips, no pretzels, none of that ish. The only indulgence I allow myself is a measured ounce of Good Cheese if I get my workout done with a Wasa Light and Crisp cracker or two. I also make sure I have fresh fruit in the house at all times. It's totally okay to eat two apples. It's just totally okay.
    Exactly! If one apple a day keeps the doctor away, two must be even better!

Fresh fruit, hummus, salt free popcorn, yes, all of these. Must haves. And also mini/baby carrots. Sometimes I hate them but they're easy to eat for the lazy folks like me. My other rules include, like you guys, no sweets in the house. I see sweets, I eat them. Especially cake! NO CAKE. Husband is allowed his nasty ice cream with nuts (it's the texture conflict that gets me.) I can keep my mitts off that. Nothing else though.

I also have a rule that each day, I must make some kind of greens meal--whether a green smoothie, a salad, whatever. Half an avocado with some tomatoes, even, and a bit of vinaigrette. Most of all though, I must also prepare one veggie a day and eat it all by midnight. The leftover golden beets saved me from several naughty food indulgences tonight...and I got a tablespoonful of chocolate almond butter as a reward.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    OMG - I have a hummus problem. Like, I cannot just eat two tablespoons of hummus. Who can??? If I open up a tub of store bought hummus, that shit is gonna be gone. And hummus is not exactly a low calorie food.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Alan View Post
    And hummus is not exactly a low calorie food.
    It can be, if you make your own and cut down on the oil (a lot) and nuts (a lot). Just use relatively loads more of herbs, water and lemon juice; it is how I do it.

these days just seem to crush me
    It doesnt help that when i get even a little hungry, my anxiety goes into overdrive and then i'm like "EAT ALL THE THINGS!" A little rumbling in my stomach quickly unfolds into certain death until I eat. It sucks so I feel like i need to have snacks on me at all times or something. I'm trying to find healthy snacks but popcorn gets boring. i was thinking nuts or something but those get really expensive (WTF why are they so expensive!). Ugh, carrots and any sort of "hard" veggies are out 'cause of my jaw problems. Any other ideas? Any beverages? Drinking water helps it a little bit but not for long.