Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Emotional Based Eating, Binging, or Grazing

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    I want to a facility for eating disorders last September. I got out and did well for awhile but since I've been home I've gained 30 lbs. we are desperately trying to search for somewhere I can get help since I've lost my insurance. There's a lot of places that do sliding scale for therapy and stuff but not for dietitians.

Eating disorder facilities that don't cost 1100 dollars a day are non-existent.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    ^Sorry you're going through that. Hope you find some help soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I'm doing some stuff in therapy right now that's bringing up a LOT of old emotions. It's making me actively want to binge on chips, which was my Drug of Choice when I used to binge in high school. That and ice cream. Regression isn't super fun. Other than an ice cream cone and a few too many gin and tonics, I'm doing ok. My weight is stable.
    Oh god yes, chips! That's exactly what I binge on the most. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but anything salty/crunchy and I'm out of control. There were days when I'd eat most of two regular sized bags of kettle cooked potato chips in one sitting.

^
    I'm not a sweets person, either. But chips. Yep.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    Well, I've slipped off the wagon again these last couple of weeks. My therapist wants me to start logging my feelings if I binge, but I have a hard time pin-pointing what's going on when it happens. I just know it's a big escape to sit watching TV or a movie with a fuckton of junk food in front of me. I'm not sure if it's my depression or anxiety triggering the binges, or maybe some of both. Has anyone else been able to identify triggers?

For me: boredom/being alone/inactivity. If I'm on my way to a movie or a concert, I'm not going to binge. If I'm going to meet up with a friend, I'm not going to binge. If I'm going home to the apartment where I live alone, and I'm going to the spend the rest of the night or weekend alone, a binge is much more likely.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    For me: boredom/being alone/inactivity.
    Yeah, I'm finding this to be true for me as well. It basically seems like my depression is really the source behind it all -- I'm dissatisfied with so much of my life, the food is a small way I can comfort and reward myself, or something to look forward to in order to get me through a shitty day.

I tried an OA meeting last night, but not really sure it's for me since I heard "food was what was really between me and god..." and apparently they're really strict about certain foods not qualifying for abstinence. I'm gonna give Weight Watchers a try instead.

Your experience in OA really depends on the meeting you attend. I've been to a great group and one that's bloody awful.
    Weight Watchers worked for me for awhile but I have/had some scary eating disorder behaviors that I needed to address before I could actually follow the principals of it. I am trying really hard to stick to the philosophy of my dietitian now, that no food is bad food. Kinda like weight watchers in that nothing is really off limits.

I'm trying to stave off a pretty hardy addiction to fast food. That's been hard.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I'm doing Weight Watchers at the moment. It has been very successful for me in the past, prior to my depression at which point all of the weight (and then some) that I lost came back on. But it's been a few years now and I am mentally and emotionally much, much better so I thought it would be a good time to try again.

The other peeps are right - WW is great because no food is off limits. It's all about portions and not having some things every single day. I've been back on the programme for just over 2 weeks and after about 3 or 4 days of tracking I was overwhelmed at how much I eat, and the stupid stuff I was choosing to eat. Simply being aware or mindful of what I was putting in to me was enough for me to walk past the chocolates and chips at the supermarket.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    Well, I went to my first WW meeting last night and bought a monthly pass, so I'm committed. I'm hoping the accountability and support are enough to stave off binge cravings. Only 56 lbs to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Well, I went to my first WW meeting last night and bought a monthly pass, so I'm committed. I'm hoping the accountability and support are enough to stave off binge cravings. Only 56 lbs to go...
    That's awesome! I think I lost about 10-15 pounds doing Weight Watchers meetings.

I'm seriously considering going back to the Weight Loss Center I used a couple of years ago. I lost 18 pounds with them. It seemed really restrictive to me, but I think it's because I had been eating so. much. bad-for-me shit that anything would've seemed strict by comparison. Obviously it worked, but I may talk to them about tailoring a plan for me a little bit - weighing in two times a week won't work with my schedule the way it is now.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    ^

JP, I think it's going to take a big adjustment for me as well to get used to restricting myself when eating because of the large amounts of food (junk) I've been stuffing in my face for a couple months now. Good luck if you start with the Weight Loss Center.

i failed 4 times on WW. Not really because of the food portion (I REALLY like the recipes that are featured on there), but I can never keep up with having to log in all of my food. I'd forget and then mess up trying to remember what I had, and then I wouldn't be completely honest of exactly what foods I had. I'm trying to do more thoughtful eating, recognizing if I'm actually hungry or bored hungry and doing more physical activity (also not eating as much junk food. I'm crazy craving some Cheetos right now). I lost like 10 lbs within a week!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    ^

JP, I think it's going to take a big adjustment for me as well to get used to restricting myself when eating because of the large amounts of food (junk) I've been stuffing in my face for a couple months now. Good luck if you start with the Weight Loss Center.
    I feel like my biggest hurdle with weight loss is that bad eating has become so habitual for me that I don't even realize it. I've managed to unlearn every single good eating habit I ever had. All of them. I don't grocery shop the same, even when I'm trying to buy "good" stuff. And since I've developed these horrendous eating habits, I have lost all my willpower. I used to be able to resist the bad shit fairly easily - I'd have it every now and then (as in, every two weeks) - but now if I get within 20 feet of a candy bowl or snacks I'm tearing it up.

Apologies in advance if this is offensive to anyone, but as someone who struggles with these issues, I found this both hilarious and poignant:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gia...blems-f,34479/

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    not a goddamned day has gone by this week that someone hasn't walked into my office trying to give me donuts, candy, mixed nuts, sell me fundraiser candy...arrrggghhhh!