Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Emotional Based Eating, Binging, or Grazing

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    Oh hai, that's my OH again! ^

I always said I'd never get used to diet soda, now I can't stand the full sugar stuff. By the way, Decaf-diet Coke > Diet Coke. It just tastes so much nicer!

I loooove the full sugar stuff. Sweet, sugary nectar. In a perfect world where nutrition was a made up thing, my fridge would just be full of Fudge Brownie Frijj, Dr Pepper, Coke, Cherry Coke and Mars Bar drinks. All straws would be replaced with Red Vines. Sadly, nutrition is a thing, and knowing the damage those drinks do even in moderation is enough to keep me away most of the time.

I got into the habit of carrying a pint of water around the house with me at uni. I started with squash and just eased off of it. Sometimes I'll add a twist of lime or do the hot-water-lemon-and-ginger thing in winter, but just drinking water has become a habit. I don't need no other drinks!

I never drink enough. It can get to about 5pm and I'll realise I've not had anything to drink at all. I've started to buy bottled water in 500ml amounts because it's a mission for me to drink two of those bottles in a day.

Invest in/"otherwise acquire" some pint glasses, it might help. Drink tea! Also make it a thing to always have a drink with a meal, and actually drink from it. That way you don't do what I do and just inhale food without savouring or enjoying it.

We have pint glasses. Several kinds actually. Not all "aquired". I've started having a drink with meals now and try to take regular sips. Also, drinking when I feel hungry because apparently I'm just thirsty.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    Also, drinking when I feel hungry because apparently I'm just thirsty.
    So true. And even though I know that I (like everyone) often mistake thirst for hunger, I still forget from time to time and go on eating binges. And you sit there puzzled as to why you don't feel satisfied after you've eaten half your fridge.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    I started working in an Italian restaurant two years ago and have since gained about 12 pounds. It doesn't help that I work 11 hour shifts at a time and besides salads, the only remotely healthy thing on the menu is spinach dip (never mind the mayo that's mixed in!). It's hard.

I have a horrendous diet. I'm good during the day but as soon as it gets near the end of the working day I just start to crave crisps and crisps I must have. Not just one small packet, but maybe six in one sitting and then dinner. I've got to get tough with myself and just not buy them but lately I just haven't had enough willpower to keep myself out of the supermarket on my way home. Today I picked up a 21 pack of Walkers and actually felt embarrassed walking home with them even though they were in a shopping bag.

I haz problemz.

On a more positive note though, at the start of the year I gave up drinking booze at home (you haven't met my mother!) and have lost the taste for it now. I'll drink occasionally if I go out but one or two drinks is enough to get me hammered. So that is that problem conquered. I just need to conquer the crisps now and posting about it here is my way of publicly embarrassing myself.

I get massive cravings for chips, too. It doesn't help that in Nippon, there are seasonal chips, so in a year there are potentially over 20 varieties to choose from (not at the same time, mind) and we all want to taste the new yakitori flavour, etc. Luckily the bags don't come too huge, but that means I buy rice crackery things on top of that. It's a particularly vicious circle when Summer rolls around -drinking beer with rice crackers/chips. One of them runs out, you get more, and then the other runs out, and you get more of that until you think you could burst!

I started preparing for all this debauchery in the Spring by only drinking on the weekend if I felt like it. When I'm at the supermarket, I'll usually just by two cans so that I know that's the maximum I can drink that night. These days I'm not drinking as much as I used to, but I still fear Summer a bit. Keeping full with water and ice tea will be key I think.

And, don't get me started on chocolate!!

I always feel like I HAVE to try all limited edition sweeties and crisps, which is just silly. They're probably not even very nice anyway!

Lexa, have you tried kale chips instead of crisps? We've been talking about them in here/the healthy eats thread and they sound much better. I used to be a total crisp fiend, but I made the switch to Walkers Baked and then just stopped altogether. I think it helped to have a creme egg/wagon wheel moment with them too - "did I get bigger or did these packets get smaller? There's barely anything in them, this isn't worth it!"

God help me if there are ever Frazzles in the house though. Might as well just sit and eat a tablespoon of salt and oil.

There are Frazzles in our house. Thankfully, I can't stand the things.

For me, the issue lies with pastry and bread. I can ignore chocolate and sweets (most of the time), but I want a fucking sausage roll ALL the time.

I crave french baguettes. Everytime I go to the market, I pick one up at the bakery. And, by the time I've reached the checkout line, I've wolfed half of the loaf down.

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    Bread is my biggest thing as well. Especially if there's a nice chutney around. That = CARB DEATH.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Custard View Post
    I always feel like I HAVE to try all limited edition crisps
    This is how I feel too! I can't miss out on trying the new flavours. I need blinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Custard
    Lexa, have you tried kale chips instead of crisps? We've been talking about them in here/the healthy eats thread and they sound much better.
    I haven't, but I have the recipe that someone posted. It involves cooking though, which I've been far too lazy to do this month. I need to get back into my walking. When I exercise heaps, I don't want to eat much. I hurt my hip though and it's still recovering (and I'm off to Vienna on the Sunday, and bound to be in for a "Knoedel", "Wiener Schnitzel" and "Apfelstrudel" orgy.

Yeah, so...my friend in NYC has started to post pictures from her wedding and I am HORRIFIED by the amount of weight I have gained. I mean, I know the number...but seeing the pictures is really making me wanna cry (and binge).