Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Girlie Lets Talk About Nails Thread

Cool The Girlie Lets Talk About Nails Thread

This thread has been long overdue!

Nail polish is my most favorite girlie product. I started growing my nails at around 6 or 7 years old. I hated the tenderness after getting my nails trimmed, so with enough whining, my mom said okay. Thanks to good genes, my nails grew like shoots. They never break and I'm constant trimming them down.

I'd much prefer to save myself some money and do my own nails. Visiting home in the US has always involved a mandatory trip to Sally's Beauty Supply.

My #1 must is CND Creative Nail Stickey Sticky Anchoring Base Coat (with top coat of course!)

Since I'm moving in a few months, I'm trying not to buy nail polish. This little multipack of mini bottles has been keeping me occupied in the meantime.

(Moved from the other thread)

Has anyone tried Sally Hansen Salon Effects? I wanted to buy the decals from Sephora, but didn't want to waste $20 on them.

I've also spotted Sally Hansen's new nail pens. I want to try them, but I don't want my designs to look amateur.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Marci, I am so jealous of nails like yours! Unfortunately I bit my nails all my life, through to about 5 years ago so they are a bit of a disaster in terms of shape and they are also quite weak. I used Revitanail for a long time to try and get some strength back into them, but I got out of the habit.

A few weeks ago I decided to start painting my nails again and to not give a fuck if I don't have the perfect shape. I've been wearing the Sugar Plum colour I posted in the other thread for those weeks, and noticed that when I took it off a few days ago that my natural nails looked much better and more even since I haven't been absently biting on them.

I do find nail polish - especially good quality stuff - to be really expensive. I like a lot of the O.P.I colours but they are $27 (about US$22) which is ridiculous. The Revlon one I brought the other day was on special for $13, but they are usually $18. But I really want a nice deep pink colour so hopefully I'll still have some money early next week that I can have a mini-splurge with.

^ Try OPI Nail Envy. That stuff has worked wonders when my nails were (and sometimes when they do now) brittle and constantly breaking.

Marci, I love the CND Sticky also!

I have been lamenting that Ulta does not have a free polish as part of the points. So I hope they will let me use my coupon for a Butter London polish. A little spendy, but nice splurge.

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    I was trying to grow all my nails for the wedding. I always have quite long nails all nicely shaped. Over the past few months I always seemed to break at least one a week right the way down. Grrr. Cutting them all off now and going to get falsies. What type have people tried? Gel? Acrylic? UV?

Quote Originally Posted by fullofwish View Post
    I do find nail polish - especially good quality stuff - to be really expensive. I like a lot of the O.P.I colours but they are $27 (about US$22) which is ridiculous. The Revlon one I brought the other day was on special for $13, but they are usually $18. But I really want a nice deep pink colour so hopefully I'll still have some money early next week that I can have a mini-splurge with.
    8ty8beauty.com used to have OPI polishes for around $4-5 a bottle. Looks like they don't carry OPI anymore (), but here is the link anyway.

http://www.8ty8beauty.com/nail_polis...lor-club-a.htm

TransDesign has them for a little less than $7.

http://transdesign.com/

I have ordered several polishes from 8ty8beauty (a couple of years ago, though) and I would recommend them. I have never ordered from TransDesign.

Has anyone got a remedy for unconscious nail biting as I'm trying really hard to stop biting mine, but am not even aware I'm doing it most of the time! Got some nail wraps in my GlossyBox this month and would love to use them

I know there are things you can buy to put on the nail that taste rotten to help you break the habit. Something like this. I know when I was about 10 I had the worst nail biting habit. Just wearing polish helped me stop.

I've tried the bitter tasting ones and scarily like the taste lol. Maybe I should go and get a file and polish and see if that helps?

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marci View Post
    My #1 must is CND Creative Nail Stickey Sticky Anchoring Base Coat (with top coat of course!)

That color is gorgeous! I am so into navy right now. If you like cremes, you must get China Glaze First Mate!

(Not my picture)

I feel like the only freak who doesn't have luck with Stickey! :\ I was still getting chips the next day. I'm having good luck with Nail Tek Hydration Therapy II + Gelous as a base. Gelous is amazing! I have very strange nail chemistry and no matter what, I usually chip within 24 hours, which of course is not acceptable. I picked up Gelous from Sally's and I get 4-6 days without chips now usually. Sometimes less, if the brand of polish I'm using isn't great or if my coats were too thick, or I'm working my hands hard with labor, but I'm so happy with it. I still have not found a top coat I love. I'm using Revlon right now, with CND Solar Speed Spray to dry it, but the Revlon isn't as shiny as I'd like. I can no longer use fast dry top coats. Chip city + my polish peeling off in sheets, no matter what brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    I have ordered several polishes from 8ty8beauty (a couple of years ago, though) and I would recommend them. I have never ordered from TransDesign.
    TD used to be good, but according to Makeupalley, they've dropped the ball lately. I wouldn't risk it. Many have had poorly packaged bottled arrived shattered, and it's apparently like pulling teeth to get a refund for it.

Head2Toe and VNS are my favorites. They don't sell OPI to the public anymore, though.

Oh how I need that navy! I have next to no blues in my collection. That needs to change.

This navy one (from my mini bottle package) isn't staying on my nails very well. I'm a little surprised considering different shades from the same pack have lasted me a good two weeks. I'll add that China Glaze one to my list. It's close to the color that I have on now, but I'm sure it's better quality. I've love to get new dark shades for fall.. dark purples, greens, etc. They just don't seem to like to hold up as well as some of the lighter colors.

About colors, I tried bright yellow for the first time this summer. I LOVE IT!

You do need it, Girl Friday! And the application is wonderful. My blues & greens used to share a tiny basket. Now they each have their own big basket. I just realized though that most of my blues are fairly light. I need to hunt down more dark blues. Any suggestions from anyone? These are the deeper blues I have:

First Mate by China Glaze

Misa - A Sin Worth Committing

OPI - Russian Navy

OPI - Light My Sapphire

OPI - Ski Teal We Drop

OPI - Cuckoo for This Color

OPI - Suzi Skis in the Pyranees

Sinful - What's Your Name?

Quote Originally Posted by marci View Post
    This navy one (from my mini bottle package) isn't staying on my nails very well. I'm a little surprised considering different shades from the same pack have lasted me a good two weeks. I'll add that China Glaze one to my list. It's close to the color that I have on now, but I'm sure it's better quality. I've love to get new dark shades for fall.. dark purples, greens, etc. They just don't seem to like to hold up as well as some of the lighter colors.

About colors, I tried bright yellow for the first time this summer. I LOVE IT!
    Could it be that you notice tipwear and chipping more easily on the darker colors? I know I was wearing OPI Steady As She Rose, which is a lovely greyed pale pink, and I thought it was wearing well, but as I looked closer, I had a ton of tiny chips and lots of tipwear. But it was not at all noticeable just looking at my hands from a normal distance. A good thing to do though is do a refresher topcoat on the darker colors the day after you do your nails, or two days after. It helps more than you'd think, and also makes it shinier, being dark colors tend to dull in shine faster than pale shades.

And you mentioning fall colors makes me want to put on two of my favorites (which probably look similar, but IRL are very different - Love Bite is a true dark dried blood color):

OPI - William Tell Me About OPI

and Misa - Love Bite

I dot on the color on my tips when I notice small chips, and then refresh my top coat.