Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: The Girlie Lets Talk About Nails Thread

^Coffee filters work too!

HEY YOU. Tomorrow is the last day of the a-england anniversary sale! Duos for 10GBP, trios for 14GBP, and singles for 6GBP.

Finally getting Dragon, Bridal Veil, and Ascalon! Thank god tomorrow's payday.

Senior Member wheretheorchidsgrow93's Avatar
    Anyone got tips to stop biting? My biting habit is ridiculous...I tear the cuticles off and everything >.< I think people are noticing my nails in work so it's time to stop.
    I'm glad you're on my side, still.

The only way you're going to cure it is a mild form of CBT, as the stuff you paint on to make them taste bad doesn't work for most.

I chomped on my nails when I watched TV and films or got anxious, realised I was doing it, and fiddled with bits of paper and origami instead. It was harder then I thought to catch it though- I asked people to yell at me if they caught me biting, which helped a lot.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    The only way you're going to cure it is a mild form of CBT, as the stuff you paint on to make them taste bad doesn't work for most.
    That has totally blown my mind. I bit my nails from when I was a little kid and there have been two times in my life when I've stopped. The first was in my mid-20's when I lost a lot of weight. I felt a lot better about myself and they were able to grow out, although I would bite from time to time. I eventually started biting again proper.

The other time was in my early 30's after a couple of years in therapy. I began to bite less during that period, but still did when I was anxious. Then, due to therapy, I made a couple of big life decisions and it has just occurred to me now, literally as I read your post, that ever since that time I have stopped biting my nails. So, I guess that indicates that, for me at least, the biting really was a way that I dealt with my anxiety and since being in therapy and learning other ways to channel my anxiety (and even recognising that that's what I have) that habit has gone completely.

LIGHTBULB MOMENT (which is probably not that helpful for you orchids, sorry!)

There are some people who bite because they like the feeling of it, and some of us who did/do it because it's anxiety related. I guess the moment iof finding out the why you do the habit is the start of breaking it. It's a bit like people with trichotillomania, just that nail biting seems to be a bit more socially acceptable (to a point, anyway.)

Not going to lie, I still will nibble occasionally if SUPER STRESSED, but not to the point of the horrible little stumps they were and I stop after and force myself to quit it.

Senior Member wheretheorchidsgrow93's Avatar
    I've tried the no bite stuff but it doesn't work too good for me...maybe I need to apply it more? I'm gonna try.
    I'm glad you're on my side, still.

If I remember right, I started wiping my nails with nail polish remover. It tastes NAAAASTY!

is there a nail strengthener that works really well? That's a big problem with biting my nails, it seems as soon as I grow them they get thin and rip and tear easily. I think if I had something that would harden them it would be harder for me to bite them off.

I haven't found one yet, but I have a horrible tendency to use my nails as tools. Also wash my hands a lot, so that's weakening them as well. I tried using a Sally Hansen hardener and it did an ok job keeping my nails intact. The problem was that the solvents in it dried the heck out of my cuticles. I still think diet, keeping your nails out of water and other solvents do more to keep nails from breaking than many of the hardeners on the market.

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    I have had good luck with Nailtiques Formula 2. I went through a period last year where I could not even wear polish. My nails were so weak that it would peel off in sheets within hours. My nails were thin, peeling, splitting. It was awful. I tried a lot but this was the best, and I still use it. When my nails were really bad, I used it daily for a week (then removed it) and repeated the same the next week. Now I just do maintenance and use it once every few weeks for a day or two.

Like SMMY, I use my nails as tools and never baby them. I wash my hands at least 20 times a day and scrub my scalp to make sure my treatment shampoo gets right down into the skin, and still this has helped a lot. My nails were really a wreck and I was ready to give up on them until I read about this on MUA's nail board.

Thanks, owls. I may try that. I'm just really horrible about my nails (note to self: next time actually go get a screwdriver, rather than use your fingernail as one) and constantly am breaking or chipping them. I try to keep some sort of polish/coating on them, mainly because when they do break or crack, it usually extends down to the skinline or below. This means I have to file it down to nub and then grow it out long enough so I can again file the rest of the damaged nail off. My nail aren't thin, they're just dry from water, other solvents and my abuse of them. My cuticles are a disaster. I try to remember to put lotion on at night, but eh, I'm prone to forgetting. Also have a bad habit of not wearing gloves when I do yard work. And it's not so much vanity, as the ragged cuticles/rough edged nails snag on fabrics and are scratchy. I'm a terrible glamour puss when it comes to my hands - we won't even talk about toes or the condition of those nails - Frankenfeet!

On the bright side - I'm asking for a swiss army knife for my birthday, so maybe that'll cut down on the nails as tools syndrome.

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    I'm the same. It used to be fine. I just had naturally strong nails, I guess. I've even pried open paint cans with just my nails, which isn't the best idea. Nothing used to split or break them, but in recent years, they've become quite weak and I definitely need help to keep them strong. Nailtiques has other products as well you might want to look into, if you're mainly looking for something to protect them from water damage. I believe they have one that is for when you're just looking for something to protect your nails, not actually treat them. It's unbelievable how weakening water it. Whenever I am lazy and go without anything on my nails for a few days or a week, they really get bad. I have to be mindful to keep at least a clear coat of something on them. Lately, I try not to go more than a day with them completely bare. I have the same problem with cuticles snagging on things. Burt's Bees makes a good cuticle balm/cream, but I always forget to actually use it. Even using it a few times a week helps, though. I really don't like hand lotion, as much as I know it helps. There are very few that aren't greasy, and the ones that aren't greasy usually are highly fragranced, which I hate.

There is an Rx product in the states called Genadur that isn't HORRIBLY expensive (insurance almost never covers it), and it is a bit of a pain in the ass because you have to paint it on daily, and then take it off weekly with nail polish remover (it strengthens the nail, and is FDA approved for this). BUT the patients I have had who could actually keep up with it swear by it. That little bit of daily attention can't hurt and then when you want to bite, thinking about that process might give you a reason to stop. But nails take a LONG time to grow out. So if you have been biting and salivating all over them and damaging them, you will need a complete grow out (three months for nails on the hand, a YEAR for the big toe on average). That requires a lot of patience! Just knowing how long you have to wait may give you hope, though. It sounds like people thinks they have really crappy nails when in reality they don't! Nails are just slow business. But basically, keep them dry as you can, keep the nail beds and cuticles as moisturized as possible, CUT them short every week and keep trying! Good luck to you all. I would also mention that if you do all this (for a good 3 months) and they still crack and peel or have pits in them, you should have an internal workup as this can be a sign of some other disorders or deficiencies.

I'm a nurse who works in derm and plastics for what it's worth...
    all i want to do is take naps on the sun