Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: American Horror Story

there is no home without you hollerskates's Avatar
    love frances conroy and jessica lange!

Saw second episode..still love it!

Eh...I saw half of the last episode, and I think the show is just way too jumbled for its own good. I turned it off. There's a way to do horror and suspense without resorting to lazy storytelling. I might read the episode summaries (just to see what Bondage Guy's story is), but otherwise I'm not that interested anymore.

The first five minutes of every episode will show one of the murders that took place in the house. I'm glad the writers are doing that since there's so much that's gone on in that house over the decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlefish View Post
    Eh...I saw half of the last episode, and I think the show is just way too jumbled for its own good. I turned it off. There's a way to do horror and suspense without resorting to lazy storytelling. I might read the episode summaries (just to see what Bondage Guy's story is), but otherwise I'm not that interested anymore.
    I'm still watching it because I am enjoying it, but I have to agree on some level. I feel like there's no mystery or suspense. It feels like they've been in the house for less than a week and a year's worth of haunted house shit has already happened to them. Either I'm not picking up on the correct timeline or it's completely over the top.

I have to agree that the show is too OTT. I'm just not one that gets scared or even surprised by loud, in-your-face stuff because I've seen it all before. It will get boring fast. I hope they'll back off a bit and go for more subtlety instead. Otherwise it's no better than a teen slasher flick.

I thought the second episode was much better paced than the first. I like the way they're setting up little nuggets of mystery here and there, therein creating a really alternate universe in a way. I agree they should slow down on the horror tactics and just ease into the story. But I think the show has a lot of potential and yes, Jessica Lange is obviously insanely creepy and great!
    Sound is the blood between me and you

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah. View Post
    I have to agree that the show is too OTT. I'm just not one that gets scared or even surprised by loud, in-your-face stuff because I've seen it all before. It will get boring fast. I hope they'll back off a bit and go for more subtlety instead. Otherwise it's no better than a teen slasher flick.
    While I think it is much more nuanced than a teen slasher flick, I agree about the OTT-ness of the show. There was so much going on in the pilot it felt like a desperate bid to appeal to every horror fan out there by pretty much referencing every fucking horror film ever made. That and the Saw-esque editing in some of the scenes felt like the show was going too much into current horror territory and not enough into the classic haunted house vein. But pilots often tend to be messy, and I have to say I'm quite intrigued by some of the story lines, so I'm going to continue watching. Also, Frances Conroy, Jessica Lange, and naked Dylan McDermott make the show worth watching. Not crazy about the woman playing the mother, though. The whole "we don't have sex anymore" fight had me laughing, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intention.

^
    Connie Britton? I think she is fantastic!
    My face screams without an emotion

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    the show is completely ridiculous, but i am sucker for it.

Jessica Lange is blowing my mind. Her character is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarella View Post
    Jessica Lange is blowing my mind. Her character is amazing.

^^ That is a very popular theory on a board I read for the show.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    That's what my husband thought immediately following the show.

"No, she is literally a cocksucker."

Love the show so far. I do wish they'd ease into it more, and the critique about so much shit happening in just 2 episodes is right on. And now they're going to sell the house? I mean obviously that is what anyone in that situation would do after an attempted murder, but now what?

The "now what" is why I'll be tuning in, though. At least until it turns into a pile of crap like Glee/Nip Tuck eventually did. This is the strongest cast of actors I think Ryan Murphy has ever had associated with one of his projects, though.

Tonight's episode is called "Murder House". This is the brief synopsis the show put out for this installment.