Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama-rama-ding-dong-a-lama

Obama-rama-ding-dong-a-lama

News? Thoughts? Praise? Venom? for the President.

Obama's Gulf speech fails to connect to a wide audience because it is too high-faluten for the American public. Mind you, the speech was written for someone with at least a 10 grade (16 year old) reading level. Pretty soon he's going to have to tweet his speech.

omg Gulf oil disASStr bad. turts, birdies, fishies dead. mucho $$$ lost :'(!
    Last edited by Banjee; 06-17-2010 at 01:00 PM.

I thought his speech was just fine. Especially since this is so unprecedented.
    People want him to yell, scream and cuss, and that just aint gonna happen. He's not Dick Chenney.

What shocked me about the article is that a 10grade reading level is too much for most Americans. I mean, WHAT???? 10th grade? Really? Apparently, his "Yes, we can" speech was written at a 7th grade reading level.

Amurika, FUCK YEAH!

"9...11!!!"

How do they determine what "reading level" a speech is? Does it have to do with the vocabulary used?

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar

yeah, I think so. Vocab. how many letters and syllables a word has, and I would imagine that sentence structure (simple vs. complex sentences) and use of figurative language are also part of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post
    I was reading something earlier this week in that same vein regarding Obama's treatment of BP, because, didn't you know, ALL British people are at fault for the Gulf disaster.
    Last edited by Banjee; 06-17-2010 at 01:23 PM.

For you, Loca!

One more thing...

Quote Originally Posted by JayPea View Post
    How do they determine what "reading level" a speech is? Does it have to do with the vocabulary used?
    There's an option in Microsoft Word (I don't remember how to turn it on now but I'm sure it's in "Tools" or something) that will tell you what reading level, how many passive sentences you've used, etc. at the end of your spell/grammar check. It's a pretty interesting feature, and I'm sure it just looks at all the things Mario said. I do know that it doesn't take a very complex or densely written document to register a 12th grade reading level (which is the highest it gives)--i.e., some of my outlines have been "12th grade reading," which makes it so scary that the average U.S. citizen requires 7th grade reading material.

Joe Barton (R-TX) just apologized........ to BP.

Yes, these people will do anything to stick a thumb in Obama's eye. And of course, the Tea Party will line up behind them with copies of Atlas Shrugged in tote -- paying no attention whatsoever to the thousands whose jobs are gone and whose lives have been turned upside down by the spill. BTW the BP spill is the worst environmental disaster in... well, ever, I think. And Repubs are currently apologizing to BP.

You'd think our home, our fucking EARTH would be one thing to unite us, but I guess not. Fuck those bastard repugs!

ooh, Michelle Bachmann is chiming in too, concern-trolling about a "government takeover of private industry". It's almost too funny to be real... but then, she's a Tea Party heroine, which is not that funny. They'll be a chorus of "dittos".

Not surprisingly, Joe Barton's top contributor is a partner with BP on Deepwater Horizon
    http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/...-of-bp-on.html
    IMO, and I know this gets thrown around a lot, but I think he should be forced to resign. And I think people should be angry to see a public official being so blatantly whorish.