Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trans thread :)

Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    I think these discussions can get touchy when the science differs from the way people experience their lives. A transwoman may feel that she was born a woman, but simply also had a biological error or complication.
    Well there's more to it, though, I think. Even the identity of genitalia can be up for debate. I know this is going to sound crazy, but a lot of trans-folk don't buy into biological binaries either. In the circles I run with, granted very extreme circles for many, part of consent is to ask what your sex partner calls their genitalia, because people have preferred nouns, much like they have preferred pronouns.

That said, I think the chart can be helpful, it's just one of those strange things. Even today, most cisgendered, cissexuals, believe that trans or gay or lesbian looks and acts a certain way. People are quick to assume identifications.

Also, I can imagine the chart can just feel uncomfortable, especially if you are transitioning with hormones. I've learned to especially make no assumptions with persons transitioning, not that you should assume anything, anyway.

make no assumptions with persons transitioning
    Yes, exactly.

ice cream and pizza Father Lucifer's Avatar
    Hi guys, I have been reading a book, Gay Soul.

It was written awhile back (1995) and is quite a spiritual, philosophical and informative book. It mentions something I never knew about, which is the 3rd and 4th gender; A lot of the contributors go into depth about concepts like "Male", "Female" and "Andogyny" are hetro-sexual concepts. It's very interesting and I recommend it because it has opened my eyes to a lot of left-of-centre thinking on orientation and gender that I otherwise would've been ignorant about.

Icon15

Lessons I Learned from My Transgender Nanny

One evening, nearly two years after I first hired her, Y and I sat chatting at the end of a workday, as we often did. While the girls played at our feet, she told me the news; Y had decided to start hormone therapy and begin the process of transitioning to a man.

My initial reaction could be summed up with three words: confusion, bewilderment and skepticism. Although I consider myself to be quite progressive and supportive of the LGBTQ community (both of my maternal grandparents are gay) I was pretty certain that this was the wrong decision. "Are you sure?" I asked. "Is it because you are trying to distinguish yourself from your identical twin sister?" "There are easier ways to not have a period anymore." "Could this be a fad?" Unsurprisingly, Y was upset with my inability to provide unconditional support.

While I tried to disguise my questions as legitimate concerns, in reality I was scared. How would she change? What did this mean for our relationship? How would this affect my girls? They already had one straight male caregiver (my husband), but now, who would provide them with that other side of femininity? I worried about losing a friend and a piece of my family.

Y's identical twin sister almost exclusively dates transgender men. Although many research studies have established a correlation between the sexuality of identical twins (these twins are more likely than not to be of the same sexual orientation), little research has been conducted on gender identity and identical twins. There are a handful of cases where both siblings in a set have transitioned to the opposite gender, and a handful of other cases where just one sibling transitioned. Genetic composition may be playing an important role here, but for now, it is too early to tell.

Whether gender identity is genetic or not, there is a bounty of evidence pointing to a biological connection. With the use of MRI brain scans, doctors have found that both male-to-female (MtF) and female-to-male (FtM) transgender persons show significant neurological differences from the non-transgender. When shown erotic images, MtF subject's brains respond closer to that of a biological female than a biological man. The FtM subjects showed brain responsivity that differed from both biological men and women.

Y's twin sister, N, has called Y "Brother" since they were little, and she was not surprised by his decision. Similarly, my older daughter did not flinch when Y changed his name and cut his hair short. To Elana, Y had never been a girl, yet somehow not quite a boy. Before I knew of Y's gender identity, I would argue with my toddler when she referred to Y as a boy. "No," I would reply, "Y is a girl." Even at three years of age, Elana would look me dead in the eye and tell me I was wrong (though she did use female pronouns when referring to him).

Over the next year and a half, Y experienced many physical and emotional changes. His weekly testosterone therapy changed his body quickly, his hips narrowing, upper body muscles growing, voice lowering, and rapidly growing facial hair. The emotional changes also started soon after the introduction of the hormones, and this is what I feared most. The testosterone left him more masculine. His perception on everyday issues became more concrete, while he grew less emotionally involved with drama that surrounded him. In addition, his confidence, as well as his sex drive, skyrocketed.

However, there was one very important aspect of Y that never changed -- his close relationship with my children. As a caretaker, he continued to be fantastic, loving my two girls as though they were his little nieces and he was their uncle. Their admiration for him never faltered, he was exactly who he always was -- fun, creative, and loving.

This is just a little bit of the story, the rest is at the link I provided.

Miss Universe Canada disqualifies transsexual contestant

VANCOUVER — Vancouver's Jenna Talackova was everything Miss Universe Canada was looking for when she was selected among 65 finalists for the 2012 competition, to be held in Toronto in May.

But the Donald Trump–owned beauty pageant confirmed Friday that the 23-year-old has been disqualified from the competition.

The reason, Talackova claims, is she was born male.

“She did not meet the requirements to compete despite having stated otherwise on her entry form,” stated a Miss Universe Canada release issued on Friday.

“We do, however, respect her goals, determination and wish her the best,” it concludes, without specifying what requirements she did not meet.

Talackova set the blogosphere abuzz earlier this week after it was discovered she had sexual reassignment surgery in 2010.

Her profile and photos from the pageant’s website were subsequently pulled.

The statuesque blond told The Vancouver Province Friday she needs to speak to her lawyer before taking part in interviews.

But Talackova has made statements online over Twitter about being “disqualified for being born.”

By March 18, she had apparently already been told by Miss Universe Canada her place in the competition was in jeopardy.

“Still waiting to know if I’m able to compete ... praying and fingers crossed,” she Tweeted that day.

Two days later, she got the news.

“I’m disqualified, however I’m not giving up,” she wrote, defiantly. “I’m not going to just let them disqualify me over discrimination.”

Responses to her plight posted online have been mixed.

Some have welcomed her inclusion in the competition, while others believe such pageants are for women born as women.

Miss Universe Canada contestants must meet a basic requirement of being a Canadian citizen and between the ages of 18 and 27 to compete.

They also must not be married, pregnant, and have to fill out a more comprehensive form if they meet the basic requirements.

There is no mention of rules regarding sex-changes or cosmetic surgery.

Talackova has been rather open about her transsexual past online.

During an interview for a transsexual beauty pageant in Thailand — Miss International Queen 2010 — the Canadian representative refers to herself as “a woman, with a history.”

That history includes recognizing herself as a female since the age of four and beginning hormone therapy when she was 14.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Fiesty redhead big haired rock singer on twitter confirms my best hopes about T'Pau's "top 7 smash" from 1988 (and her general insightfulness)

"There's more to this feeling than a differing mind to anatomy..."

pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    Tom Gabel of Against Me! Comes Out as Transgender

I don't know her music but this seems like a good thing in terms of awareness in the music world, I hope it all goes well for her.

Last edited by Andrew; 10-24-2012 at 06:14 PM.

^ this is huge news in the punk and folk-punk scenes. facebook exploded with it last night. also, the album "reinventing axl rose" is great and prolly one of the more influential albums of the aughties.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Finally found some lyrics for the new song on a blog

transgender dysphoria blues // laura gabel [as best as i hear the lyrics?]

Your tells are so obvious.
    Shoulders too broad for a girl
    Keeps you reminded,
    Helps you remember where you come from.

You want them to notice the ragged ends of your summer dress.
    You want them to see you like they see every other girl.
    They just see a faggot.
    Now hold your breath until it gets you sick [?]

Washed up on the coast,
    Oh, we should do this thing the whole day long.
    Washed up on the coast,
    Washed up on the coast,
    Oh, we should do this thing the whole day long
    With you.

You've got no cunt in your struts.
    You've got no hips to shake.
    You know it's obvious
    But we can't choose how we're made.

You want them to notice the ragged ends of your summer dress.
    You want them to see you like they see every other girl.
    They just see a faggot.
    Now hold your breath until it gets you sick [?]

Washed up on the coast,
    Washed up on the coast,
    Washed up on the coast,
    Oh, we should do this thing the whole day long
    With you.

With you!

With you!
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

She's a very good songwriter and I'm very curious to see if the hormones will affect this passionate, strong and sexy voice:

This is one of my favorite bands, totally outside my usual style but I saw them live about 5 years ago and fell in love. I always felt like Tom (now Laura) was sensitive and empathetic to LGBTQ issues (I was introduced to them by quite a few of my lesbian friends who are huge fans) but I never had any idea that she was struggling with this. Everyone is looking back at a lot of lyrics and songs as clues - "The Ocean", "Bamboo Bones", "Searching for a Former Clarity" - but I never assumed they were necessarily autobiographical. I do think this could be huge in bringing trans issues to a segment of the population that wouldn't normally be exposed to them.

If anyone is interested in checking out their music, I'd suggest starting with either the album New Wave or White Crosses, which are their most recent releases. Or for individual songs, "The Ocean", "Borne on the FM Waves of the Heart" (duet with Tegan Quinn from Tegan & Sara), "Thrash Unreal", "White Crosses", "Suffocation", or "Bamboo Bones". The early stuff is fantastic as well but probably a lot less accessible, especially for people not into punk music.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Lana Wachowski is awesome. She gave a speech when the Human Rights Campaign gave her an award, and it's hilarious, touching, and really engaging: There's a video over on Gawker showing it.

She makes an interesting point comparing anonymity to virginity, and that you can only lose it once, and after then you can't get it back again, and talks about the decision to do press again for Cloud Atlas and realising that talking about her transition would have to become a part of that.

^ That was awesome and very inspiring!

Pat Robertson's surprising thoughts on trans-folk