Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: first pregnancy

I felt barfy around 6 weeks. It never progresses to actual spewing. It stopped around 12 weeks but would show up again now and then throughout.

I was probably six weeks in when it hit full-force. I'm now 11, and it's still going strong (that 11 is according to my last period, not my own calculations based on knowing when the magic happened, so to speak).

As to the ratio, if I'm nauseated in the morning, I'm going to throw up, period. Usually if it kicks in at night, I'm just miserably queasy until I finally go to sleep. The medication my doc gave me causes constipation, so I try to take it sparingly. Between the slowed digestion (thanks, hormones!) and the iron in my prenatal vitamins, I don't need anything else causing that lovely side effect.

I had my first freakout yesterday. Someone caught a styrofoam plate of bacon on fire in the microwave at work, and I immediately started panicking and worrying that it was poisoning me/the fetus. My OB nurse assured me that as long as I didn't breathe the smoke, which I didn't, everything would probably be fine. We managed to air out the building pretty quick, but the smell lingered all fucking day and was awful.

Have any of you done genetic screenings while you were pregnant to test for down syndrome and other trisomies? It is my understanding that these are relatively routine screenings done around the 12th week of pregnancy consisting of an ultrasound and a blood test. The ultrasound measures some folds at the back of the fetus's neck, measures the nose, and looks at the formation of the heart chambers, while the blood test screens for certain markers in the blood that would indicate the presence of the most common trisomies.

I called my perinatal clinic to schedule this screening (oh hai I am pregnant) and the woman I spoke with seemed really confused as to why I would want this screening, since my age and family history don't indicate a predisposition for these genetic disorders. Which seemed odd to me, since in my previous appointment they handed me a pamphlet with all the info, and made it seem like this is something normal and routine that they do for all pregnancies. They even told me to call to schedule the appointment when I was getting close to week 12.

I went ahead and scheduled the appointment, and then I asked both my sister and my best friend who is a few months more pregnant than I am, and they both thought I was talking about having an amniocentesis! And neither of them had any ultrasound or blood screening to test for down syndrome and other trisomies.

Anyway, now here I am wondering if I'm crazy for doing these tests if my baby is at a very low risk, and I'm also wondering if the perinatal clinic also thought I was talking about amniocentesis - although that seems really unlikely that a perinatal clinic would schedule a risky invasive procedure without first doing the non-risky, non-invasive screening. Uh. Has anyone else here done ultrasound and blood screening for genetic disorders?
    I never thought about love when I thought about home

I had it done, it was optional, but yes the doctor brought it up and asked if I was interested in the test. I said yes mostly for the ultrasound, I wanted to see the baby!! Everyone I know around here who had a baby has had this screening done, very routine here (Ottawa, ON)

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    I believe it's just a simple blood test right when you do the initial ultrasound right? I'm fairly certain it was just a standard procedure done with both of my kids. I'm not sure why it would be thought of as out of the ordinary. My son was born in CA and my daughter in CO, where are you?

I'm in Texas, and yeah the initial screening is an ultrasound and pinprick blood test - no big deal. The last time I was in (for a viability scan) I interpreted their information to mean that coming in for this screening is routine and that I should call when I'm getting close to 12 weeks to schedule it. So I was surprised when the woman I spoke with seemed hesitant to schedule me. I don't know - maybe the lady who answered the phone was the uninformed one. I should call back and ask to speak with someone else.

First of all, congratulations! Second, I don't think the blood test is necessarily common practice in all states. I don't believe I had one, but I did have plenty of ultrasounds. Maybe the woman you talked to is use to women only coming in for the test if the are a certain age or have other possible reasons to worry about downs. It seems strange that you should have to make an appointment though. I would think this would be something that your OB/GYN would handle. He or she would collect the blood sample and send it over to the other facility's lab, or something to that effect.

Thanks!

I have a midwife, and she sends me to the perinatal clinic for the ultrasounds and blood work that she can't do out of her office. And now I'm thinking, aha, I bet the perinatal clinic deals with at-risk pregnancies more often than a regular OB/GYN would, so maybe that had something to do with the confusion as to why I was scheduling it with them, like instead of with an OB/GYN.

Anyway. We've told our immediate family and our close friends about our news, but it's still pretty early and we're not quite ready for everyone to know. Well last night one of my husband's aunts wrote on my facebook page, "Big News?!?" I promptly deleted it and sent her a cheerful private message that yes, we do have some big news but we're not ready for it to be public. And thanks for her interest, we're really happy and excited, blah blah, see you at Christmas. We have some really close loved ones that we'll see at Christmas, and we want to be able to tell them in person.

It is so similar to when we got engaged. We tried really hard to keep it off of facebook for a little while to get a chance to tell our loved ones in a more personal way. But sure enough, a few loudmouths broadcast it all over our facebook pages and then some of our relatives found out on the internet instead of with a phone call. Having a baby seems to me like an even bigger life step that we should have the right to disclose in the way of our own choosing. Damn facebook.

Congrats to all!

I was nauseous from about week 6 all the way to about week 12 and 14 for my second child. I was also ridiculously exhausted, would go to sleep at like 6pm every night, ballooned by 40 lbs and significant amount of bloating toward the end that made my feet grow by 2 1/2 sizes. Me and pregnancy do NOT mix!

I did the ultrasound thing - its no big deal so feel free to push for it. Its a long ultrasound so you get to see the fetus moving around lots more, which is cool cuz you're not yet feeling him/her move around. I was considered "high risk" for my second pregnancy cuz I was 35; which annoyed me to no end but whatever. I got extra ultrasounds so that was cool
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats I had my suspicions -eyes you-

I had the ultrasound/bloodwork test done at 13 weeks as Steph said, it's pretty routine up here. I did it mostly to see the baby. It coincided with my mom's birthday so I sent her copies of the u/s photos in a Happy Birthday Grandma card.

hehe! I didn't want to spill the beans until closer to the 2nd trimester... which I'm almost there now. eeek!

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    I know some people who have refused it because of a high risk of both false positives and false negatives. I haven't actually looked up the data myself, but I've been thinking about it with this pregnancy because because I'm a bit older. The only thing that gives me pause would be a possible false positive. I don't know what I would do if confronted with the choice to continue the pregnancy or not.

^ same here. Personally I'm going through with the test to put my mind at ease at my whoppingly low risk / or prepare myself now for raising a special baby.

The odds are still really in favor of a healthy child; no matter your age.
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

After fuming this morning because yet ANOTHER aunt took it upon herself to announce my pregnancy on my facebook page (and speculate publicly on the date and whereabouts of its conception,) I came across this article and found some happy sanity.

Facebook Status Update: I'm Pregnant!

I was shocked by the reactions to my need for cyber privacy. It is an issue that would not even have arisen a few years ago. Am I really such a rarity in refusing to inform the world of my pregnancy on social media sites?

For me, sharing this personal miracle information is something to be done in person with the tangible responses included - a hug, a touch - not a poke on Facebook or an abbreviated exclamation on Twitter.
    I'm trying to maintain perspective about the relatives and understand that they're well-meaning and happy for us.
    ... and yes, I fully see the irony in complaining about this phenomenon on facebook while posting about it on Unf.