Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Tennis!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

All Things Tennis!

An all things tennis thread.

Wimbledon starts next week and I for one am looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe. Been reminiscing by looking at old YouTube clips.

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    Me too!
    That Roddick/Federer match was epic!
    I don't think Roddick can do that again, though.

I so wanted Roddick to win. I like Federer but I did not like how he wore this cardigan with '15' emblazoned on it, packed before he knew he was going to win. (It was his 15th Grand Slam.)

Wimbledon draw out today. Some interesting match-ups and potential clashes. A Federer/Roddick semi-final in the offing; possible fourth round between S. Williams/Sharapova and Henin/Clijsters. Excited!

Here's Venus looking very nice at the Wimbledon player party - also her 30th birthday!

Fascinating article about life on the WTA Tour
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010...s-emma-brockes

I thought that reports it was unfriendly were a bit of a myth. It seems not. Strings-cutting! Lunch voucher stealing! Bitchiness in the locker room! It sounds horrible.

Yay, Wimbledon time!

This will be the first year since 2001 that I havent been there in person; thank god for the BBC and their six-screen streams. not sure who I want to win. I'd like another Federer-Nadal classic (as there's no finer sight in tennis), but I'd also like to see Murray do well. I'm not a huge fan, but let's have him Wimbledon once so at least we can get all this 'no British winner since Roman times' nonsense out of the way. On the women's side, it's difficut to foresee anyone not named Williams lifting the trophy, though it'd be nice for a change. Of course, Henin came back with the stated intention of winning Wimbledon. She won the piffly s'Hertogenbosch title yesterday, but not that in the style that she really should have, if she expects to win Wimbly, and could face Clijsters in the fourth round.

About that Federer '15' thing; he's done a few things like that in recent years that have led me to go off him a bit. There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, and I can completely understand that it must be difficult not to cross it if you've had his level of success, but one of the things I like most about nadal is his humility.
    Last edited by JonBcn; 06-20-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Interesting first day at Wimbledon - Federer a whisker away from losing in the first round. Down two sets with opponent Falla serving for match. But he came through, as champions do. Entertaining one. And Djokovic vs Rochus was good, finishing under the lights of the Centre Court roof at 11pm. In the women's Schiavone is out but I wasn't too surprised at that one. Oh and Lindsay Davenport has joined the BBC commentary team and she's great!

Longest match in tennis history. John Isner v Nicolas Mahut, 59-59 in the final set. 10 hours of play in total - longer than Serena Williams' seven wins at Wimbledon last year put together. Most games in a match, longest set in a match, most aces in a match - and it's still going. They've stopped play due to darkness but it's back tomorrow at 59-59. Incredible!

How amazing was that? I was watching from about 20-20 and it just went on forever. It's a pity they've had to go on into a third day, because neither one of them is going to be in a fit state to do much damage in the draw after this (and this is only a first round match, some players are already into the third round). It's a pity one of them has to lose, but I hope Mahut can take it - Isner's tennis is soooo boring. Mahut also won a 24-22 final set in qualifying last week!

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    I guess it's that annoying American solidarity thing that makes me want Isner to win. That said, he looked like a hurting unit (and rightfully so), wheras Mahut looked like he just got out there!

Isner is kind of boring to watch. His type of game is one that makes me not want to watch men's tennis.

Holy God. FINALLY over. Isner wins it, 4-6, 6-3, 6-7, 7-6, 70-68.

To me, Isner always looks like he's whacked out on valium. Perhaps its the altitude.

INSANE.

I feel so bad for Mahut. Good player, should be higher than No.148. Isner does look a little whacked out, for sure. The whole thing was just quite incredible really. An 11-hour tennis match.

Oh and the Queen came to Wimbledon for the first time in 33 years today! Andy Murray and Jarkko Nieminen bowed (she was in the Royal Box for their match) and then after the match they went up to the balcony area for a chat with Liz.

She also met the top women British players and then Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova, Jelena Jankovic, Caroline Wozniacki, Venus Williams, Andy Roddick, Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams, and Roger Federer. Was fun seeing them all lined up and bowing and curtseying and trying not to shit themselves. Roger looked very dapper.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10399688.stm

Yet more drama. Victor Hanescu spits at crowd, quits match, four people arrested.

There's something in the water down there at Court 18.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8764203.stm

Apparently they were shouting racial slurs at him in Romanian (basically calling him a 'gypsy', which for them is like using the N-word).

I'm a bit torn here, Hanescu is the last player I'd ever expect to behave like that, but on the other hand if it's true, I think that if he can be provoked into that sort of behaviour by a bit of name-calling, perhaps he needs to have a look at his own view of gypsies?