Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Tennis!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Yeah all the commentators said it was really out of character. Apparently he asked the umpire to do something, the umpire didn't, the heckling continued, and then the spitting occurred.

Monday's fourth round looks tasty. The pick of the men's for me looks like Djokovic vs Hewitt, and on the women's there's Henin vs Clijsters and Serena vs Sharapova (which I thought could be great but I have a feeling it might be a Serena rout; Sharapova looked less than convincing today.)

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    Rafa almost went down today. Saw the trainer a lot. Makes you wonder if he can get much further. Knee troubles? Maybe.

Jennifer Capriati overdose

Former tennis world number one Jennifer Capriati has been rushed to the hospital following a reported overdose.

According to US website TMZ, paramedics responded to a call from a hotel in Riviera Beach, Florida on Sunday morning.

Capriati is said to have been later rushed from the hotel to a nearby hospital.

According to the star's father Stefano, the Olympic gold medal winner is in a stable condition and ‘recovering well’.

Capriati won 14 career titles, including three Grand Slams. She also won a gold medal at the 1992 Olympics.

WTF! Roddick out, Venus and Clijsters out. WEIRD women's semi-final line-up.

And now Martina Hingis and Anna Kournikova playing invitational doubles!

I loved watching Navratilova/Novotna vs Martinez/Tauziat the other night. Navratilova was still the best player on court, even being 15 years older than the rest and recovering from breast cancer. Seeing four women at the net, all of whom have single handed backhands was a joy to behold.

So, Federer out yesterday. I didnt like his sour grapes "oh, actually I've got lots of injuries, didn't I mention it before?".

This is probably the best chance Andy Murray will ever get to win Wimbledon, but he has Nadal to face next. Win that, and he'd be the favourite in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by JonBcn View Post
    I loved watching Navratilova/Novotna vs Martinez/Tauziat the other night. Navratilova was still the best player on court, even being 15 years older than the rest and recovering from breast cancer. Seeing four women at the net, all of whom have single handed backhands was a joy to behold.

So, Federer out yesterday. I didnt like his sour grapes "oh, actually I've got lots of injuries, didn't I mention it before?".

This is probably the best chance Andy Murray will ever get to win Wimbledon, but he has Nadal to face next. Win that, and he'd be the favourite in the final.
    I'm with you on Federer's reaction. Take your loss gracefully. He didn't, really.
    I am really excited because Lindsey Davenport is part of the professional tennis team in my city this summer. And Venus is coming next week!

Back to Wimbledon, I think Murray is due to beat Nadal.

So glad for Zvonareva. I've always really liked her.

Definitely. I love the invitation doubles event, it's fun but you can still see they're great players.

Federer's attitude was really disappointing. I liked Venus' press conference after the Pironkova loss, she said "I never talk about injuries," so she doesn't use that as an excuse if she does have injuries. I think for anyone who thought Berdych won because Federer was injured saw his talent today; his win over Djokovic was vindication enough. I'm glad he's finally made this breakthrough.

In the women's, I was impressed by Pironkova and Kvitova. Pironkova's got a very unorthodox game, and Kvitova is a powerful lefty who hits some amazing shots. I think they can do well if they maintain the consistency. To think Pironkova had never made it past the second round of a Grand Slam and Kvitova had never won a match on grass ever!

Quote Originally Posted by iamstilljamiepoo View Post
    I'm with you on Federer's reaction. Take your loss gracefully. He didn't, really.
    I am really excited because Lindsey Davenport is part of the professional tennis team in my city this summer. And Venus is coming next week!

Back to Wimbledon, I think Murray is due to beat Nadal.
    That is exciting!

Nadal was too good today. Murray played OK but Nadal was on another level. Murray's interview after was so miserable, monotone and annoying. Djokovic lost too but in his interview he was articulate, gave a lot of credit to Berdych, and was generally a good loser. Not saying Murray was a bad loser, but my GOD lighten up a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by uskidsknow View Post
    So glad for Zvonareva. I've always really liked her.
    Yeah it's good. I'm excited we have a couple of first-time major finalists in Berdych and Zvonareva. I think Serena will be too much but I'm hopeful for a good final. One of my all-time favourite matches was the Venus vs Davenport 2005 final.

Congratulations to Serena and Rafa

Thought the finals were disappointing, but as a whole I thought the tournament was absolutely fantastic. Roll on the US Open!

Yay, Wimbledon time!

About that Federer '15' thing; he's done a few things like that in recent years that have led me to go off him a bit. There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, and I can completely understand that it must be difficult not to cross it if you've had his level of success, but one of the things I like most about nadal is his humility.
    Federer is a smug arrogant ass. There are some funny facebook groups of similar minded people. Of course he is Swiss, so he must be perfect.

US Open is here.

Anyone watching?

Elena Dementieva announces retirement
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9140779.stm

Sad. I thought she was great.

Me, too. I would always root for her unless she was playing a favorite player of mine.

Speaking of which:care to name any favorite players?

Right now I am a a big fan of Caroline Wozniaki, Venus Williams, Andy Roddick, John Isner and someone whose name has escaped me.

People on Twitter are saying that Venus and Richard Williams are about to hold a press conference, rumoured to be a 2011 retirement announcement. Hope not!

I like all those you mentioned, plus I also enjoy watching Francesca Schiavone, lots of variety and flair. Of the top men, I just can't bear Andy Murray.