Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Tennis!

I'd be very surprised to se venus bow out before the 2012 Olympics.

Sad to see Dementieva go as she was a great sportswoman, but I never really warmed to her play. There was something that irked me about her not being able to serve for the first ten years of her career. It's not that hard to learn to throw a ball up in the air.

Years ago, I could have given you great lists of favourite players, but these days its tough to name just a few that I'll always try to catch. On the men's side I'd say Nadal and Mikhail Youzhny, and on the womens Schiavone, Date Krumm and Martinez Sanchez.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I loved it when someone said, re Dementieva's serve, "it would be quicker to walk around the net and hand the ball to the opponent." Her motion underwent many changes and looked deeply odd at the end. She was fortunate she had a strong game aside from the serve.

I also enjoy Nadal and also agree about Date Krumm - what an inspirational story! Thomas Muster seems to be launching a proper comeback in 2011 at the age of 43!

He was my favourite player once! I wonder what his objectives are; I really would be amazed to see him get past Challenger level, ranking-wise, but would love to see him play at Roland Garros again.

Clijsters won the masters ! Very nice - but what a shame about Dementieva retiring. I loved watching her, cuz she was such a good runner, but once I laughed my head off during a match she played against Sharapova. I don't remember how many time she double faulted on her serve, but it was A LOT. At times, she even started to laugh at it herself too - a shame really, cuz it really gave Sharapova the chance to grab the match and go for the win

as for players I look out for : always Nadal, Ancic and Fernando Gonzalez too, but those last two already seem half retired because of injuries. I also have a strange thing for Ernests Gulbis - don't know why exactly, but I like his looks

as for the ladies - guess that Lindsay Davenport will always be my fav, but at the moment I like to watch Peer, Date Krumm and sometimes Bartoli. I also like Tamarine Tanasugarn, but I haven't had many chances to see her play

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Serena Williams health scare

Tennis ace Serena Williams had a health scare this week after being rushed to hospital with a blood clot on her lungs.

On Monday, the 29-year-old was forced to seek emergency treatment at Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre in Los Angeles for haematoma - a pooling of blood caused by a haemorrhage.

Only the night before she attended the Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party.

Her publicist Nicole Chabot released the following statement to People magazine:

'Monday Serena Williams underwent emergency treatment at Cedars for a haematoma she suffered as a result of treatment for a more critical situation.

'Last week, Serena suffered from a pulmonary embolism [a blood clot in the lungs] which was discovered upon her return to L.A.

'She had been in New York for doctor appointments for the ongoing issues with her foot.

'Doctors are continuing to monitor her situation closely to avoid additional complications.'

The former world number one has been forced to take time away from playing tennis after undergoing surgery for a foot injury in July when she cut her foot on broken glass at Wimbledon.

However, she was aiming to return to the court after the extended break in time for the French Open in May.

She had been spotted in the medical centre several times over the past week but her condition took a dramatic turn on Monday.

She is currently ranked at number 12 in the world and has won 37 WTA titles.

Doctors are continuing to monitor her condition.

just been watching part of the Sharapova Peng match - boy, Sharapova hit one double fault whilst serving after the other ; she seems to be replacing old style Dementieva.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Love that Maid Marion is in the semifinals
    Last edited by Volta; 03-18-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log done had a child!"

Question

I don't know how to feel about Bartoli. In a way, I think she's a welcome addition to the tour just cuz she's different and seems to follow her own path and style.

on the other hand I saw her acting nasty to players when she lost, like totally ignoring them

Seso,
    I just pull for the underdog, a little. She has had some impressive results. She is a Wimbledon finalist, not a lot of players can say that, so I guess I shouldn't feel too sorry for her. But she isn't exactly the fittest player and with that awful service motion... it's cool to see a player with so much against her just up and make it happen.
    I am not a Sharapova or Wozniaki fan. Actually, as far as Wozniaki goes, I am glad to see her being more aggressive and going for winners. She was content to just be a human backboard and let the other player make mistakes for her wins. And there is nothing wrong with that. If it works.. it works, but she is not going to win a major doing that with the likes of the William's sisters, Li Na, Clijsters and Zvonereva. I feel like she is so used to winning matches that way, that when she is up against a big hitter on the big stage it all just leaves her.
    I think she is going to win Indian Wells. Without any doubt. If Sharapova can actually get her serve in.. then maybe it will be competitive.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-18-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log done had a child!"

I know the feeling Volto - in being a late Davenport fan, I always felt like I was pulling for the underdog too. I seem to like players that have something inperfect about them. Maybe that was what fascinated me about Bartoli - but then I saw her behaving so rude. I just could not see the reason why so I guessed it would just be a bad day, but to me, it seemed inapproriate - but then again, I've also seen her lose without a problem, so maybe I just need to let it go

I've seen the mean streak you're talking about before. I guess I just stomach it more because I hardly see her matches televised. Her unorthodox game can really be interesting.. when she is hitting flat ground storkes with all those angles... that two-handers on both sides just get.. Peng Shaui is in that category too. Now, with Andy Roddick, I was a huge fan. He practically kept American tennis relevant on the men's side all by himself in the middle 2000's. Blake, too, at times (I can't leave him out). But, there was always that babyfied side of him that I just couldn't stand. He was no Mcenroe when it came to arguing with the umpire, and it almost always cost him the match. Now, and I know this sounds silly, but ever since he lost that extra weight, he has been unbearable. I don't like him. He just takes it too far. He deserved a point penalty the other night, but if I were that umpire I doubt I would have given it either. Andy would have completely lost his mind. But, you know, who am I to be critical of an athlete who is probably singing their swan song, so to speak. He probably won't continue after the Olympics and all the pressure, and especially so when he has like 50 break points and can never capitalize on one against players lower in caliber than Roger, Rafa, and Novak. He's losing a lot of ground. Already, his serve is going down in mph.. and that forehand, that was such a weapon, is hit with so much spin it just sits up to be killed. Yea, I guess I can see why he loses it out there. But it isn't pretty.
    I don't feel similarly with Serena, and I think that is because for some reason she never has crowd support. So when she flips out, I think it is more of a rebellion, in general. The fans always cheer for her opponent, especially is Paris, (not in the US Open final against Jankovic - that was the last match I remember the crowd going crazy for her) and my God, the woman has tried everything she can to impress the French fans. Andy almost always has the crowd behind him. He gets away with a lot.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-18-2011 at 09:49 PM.

I'm not an Ivanovic fan, either, but I was really impressed with her, especially her serve at Indian Wells. I have the same motion. I toss it way to the right and always have to chase after it. I can never get it over my left shoulder and kick out wide to the backhand. When I see her hitting 114mph aces left and right, and second serves to Jankovic's backhand.. it gives me hope. You can get a good serve from time to time with a toss that you pretty much always have to slice to the forehand. It is possible.

Go Bartoli!!! Take out the Woz.

I can't bear to watch Bartoli, she just seems soooo weird!

Agree that Wozniacki needs to become more agressive if she is to win a slam.

Djokovic just kicked out Federer for the third time this year, hope he doesn't fall apart against Nadal in the final!