Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Tennis!

I saw a bit of Nadal playing Mayer last night and Rafa looked in good form. And Venus is in the second round!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Djokovic lost. In the second round. This is historical.
    I don't think he's lost this early in a major since he was a teenager. He's won the Aussie Open 6 times and was two-time defending champion.
    Gone. When hope is almost gone, you know that's the time we must stand strong --
    Every girl in every band- Every cosmic cowboy in the land -to the Earth will you show mercy?

Mirjana's win last night was... I was so emotional for her. Her story of abuse from her father, taking her mom and her sisters and fleeing in the middle of the night. Living with very little money, not playing tennis for more than a decade and now at the age of 35 to reach a Grand Slam Semifinal.. something she hasn't done since 1999 Wimbledon. It's just an amazing story.

In tennis you were over the hill if you played after 29. The last decade it is now common for people closer to 40 to be making the biggest strides in their careers.
    6/8 of the players left in the draw are 30+
    Venus is 36
    Roger, Serena, and Mirjana are 35
    Stan and Rafa are 32 and 30 I believe.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-25-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    Gone. When hope is almost gone, you know that's the time we must stand strong --
    Every girl in every band- Every cosmic cowboy in the land -to the Earth will you show mercy?

I'm glad we won't have another Murray vs Djokovic final. I find their matches so boring. I would like to see Nadal win so he can become the first male tennis player to win each major at least twice in the open era. On the woman's side I'd like to see Venus win her first Australian Open.

Venus is playing Vandeweghe right now and I think she was broken in the first game of the first set.. :/ Hope she bounces back though!

VENUS WON!!! She's into the final. I wonder if she'll face Serena.
    Last edited by dAmION; 01-26-2017 at 04:56 AM.

VENUS! Grand Slam Dreams Do Come TRUE!!!

So excited to have an all Williams final again after so long! I'll be thrilled if either of them win. They've both made tennis history and are still playing for more.

I'm staying up late to watch at least part of the Women's Final live. Anyone else?

I just woke up to get ready for the women's final!

^Nice!

guess Serena being pregnant comes as a relief and a chance for Sharapova

Sharapova's return has been one of the most controversial in the history of tennis.
    And it's a sad state of the women's game when player can be gone for 15 months and make the semis of a pretty big event like it was nothing difficult at all.
    The WTA has a lot to think about. All their "stars" are starting to play less and less/and or losing early.

The men's game (ATP) has been a much more exciting time for me with all the young talent coming from just about everywhere including some really talented young USA guys.

The WTA tour is all over the place at the moment. I guess that could be appealing if you're already a fan of tennis/WTA tennis, but I don't think it's good for the tour overall. Tennis is such a small sport compared to the team sports that you need the superstars to bring tennis to the forefront. Serena and Maria have been the anchors of stability for the tour the past decade. With Serena out and Marie just coming back were now left with a slumping Kerber and Muguruza. Hopefully things will get more orderly in a few months once Maria, Vika, and Petra are all back on tour. I don't mind the chaos so much, but I think it must be hard to promote women's tennis when you can't bet on top players having consistent results.

The men are in a much better position with Roger and Rafa having a resurgence with a slumping Murray and Djokovic. Plus you got players like Zverev, Thiem, Kyrgios who have exciting games/personalities to latch onto.

Do any of you listen to tennis podcasts? My favorite are NoChallengesRemaining and TheBodyServe

I don't listen to any podcasts period. I don't really know what a podcast is. lol

Anyhow your assessment is very on point. I think there are some great stories to unfold but probably only at the majors for the women. Venus is a good story; playing so well into these late years of her career. Wozniacki looks to press on but she is a counterpuncher and younger shot makers will win against her.. even Aga. Halep got a lot of success and has shrunken back because of it. No one really wants to lift the mantle and bring about fun and flare. The tour used to have so much talent and so many personalities. Ah well.
    I always cheer for my vets like Jelena, Sam, Sveta.. and I am excited about Konta's potential. She has amazing athleticism and power. The Pliskova's are exciting to a point with the easy power and the tattoos.
    And Petra's return will be a big celebration with all she's been through.