Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing right now?

Dave, Loffie: hi!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Hey, Wout, how did Alan Wake treat ya? I never did hear an update from you.
    Good, a lot of fun, but not earthshattering.
    I loved the story, the vibe, the setting. But the levels were very lineair and it all came down to the same thing: walk, shine your light, gun them down, pull lever, walk on and so on and so forth. They dropped the whole sandbox thing, which I understand but is still a damn shame!
    Not something you'd play again after the credits start rolling.
    post28!

If I ever end up getting an XBox360 again (and the new one looks sweet), I'm sure I'll pick it up. My son keeps hounding me about it. I admit, I miss it for a few reasons.

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar
    I'm currently playing http://www.rsclegacy.com. It's my favorite game, I grew up with it in school while in Germany.
    Last edited by Malike-pakile; 03-21-2017 at 08:08 PM.

super mario galaxy 1 (Luigi Version)

I still haven't played the second game.

(^^^I had secret of mana game music stuck in my head yesterday)

Quote Originally Posted by JAE View Post
    What did you think? It was seriously one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had .
    I thought it was alot of fun, loved that it was actually laugh out loud funny as well!
    Sort of wish I'd bothered my ass playing it before now.
    Making me very excited to get Portal 2 when it's (eventually) released

Quote Originally Posted by gyabou View Post
    People who enjoyed Portal should check out Half-Life 2, fyi.
    See, I'm interested in getting The Orange Box, but I've never played Half-Life before and that comes with Half-Life 2: Episode 2. Would I be missing much jumping straight in there? I hate shit like this.

I am currently playing Final Fantasy V. I am very with the times. I am looking to buy some actual PS3 games though so I can actually start catching up with the rest of the world! I'm debating over Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted just now. I'll be getting back into FFXIII once I have an HD monitor to play it on, but I can't say I was loving it much when I tried it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Custard View Post
    See, I'm interested in getting The Orange Box, but I've never played Half-Life before and that comes with Half-Life 2: Episode 2. Would I be missing much jumping straight in there? I hate shit like this.
    Actually, the Orange Box comes with all of the Half-Life 2 games! (It just doesn't include the original Half-Life, but that's not that big a deal.) Episode 2 just gets precedence in the advertising because it was a new game at the time the box was released. I definitely recommend all of the games in the Orange Box (it also contains Team Fortress 2). I'd only say though that you should definitely get it for either PC or Xbox360. I've tried the PS3 port and the controls seemed really fucked up to me, and Valve doesn't support that port anymore because they were unhappy with it.

No, I would say that all you need to keep up with the story is just read a synopsis of the first one on wikipedia or something like that. Even aside from that you're not really going to be missing much even if you don't - the story of HL2 is pretty self-contained in itself and you can really just pick up what is going on while playing it anyway! You should definitely check it out!

ETA: oops, didn't register the Ep 2 part in there - like gyabou says, you get all aspects of Ep 2 so all you are missing is the first game, and what I said applies to that.

As far as PS3 games go Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted are good places to start and you can pick them up super cheap. Bioshock has a really interesting story and is also really cheap, as is Dead Space and if you really want to get up to date the Sega Mega Drive Collection is as well. play.com and playtrade all the way! I rarely pay more than £15 for a game any more and all of those should be a tenner at the most, including Orange Box. And then I sell them on playtrade for 90% of what I bought them for.

Anal Lisa, PS3 is the only option for me. No Xbox and my laptop is DEFINITELY not game friendly. Oh well!

JAE - I'm a bit curious about Dead Space, but I gave up on Extraction early on because it was too annoying trying to do stuff while on rails and being attacked. "Argh, I need to open these bolts with my raygun thing! Look, fuck off, monsters. FUCK OFF. WHY IS NOBODY ELSE SHOOTING AT THEM?? Fuck it I'm going back to Mario Kart."

The PS3 version of the Orange Box is definitely not the best, but you should be OK if you're not used to anything else - it didn't affect anything drastically for me and I was still able to enjoy the games!

Dead Space is fun - I picked it up cheap last year not expecting anything and I really enjoyed it. Luckily this one isn't on rails! I normally get really stressed out with survival horror games but I found it to be fun - the atmosphere is great and I got really engrossed in playing it.

Anal Lisa, PS3 is the only option for me. No Xbox and my laptop is DEFINITELY not game friendly. Oh well!
    Aw, if you definitely can't play it on another platform, I'd give it a try on the PS3. You can also probably buy the Orange Box used very cheaply for the PS3 (I scored a copy for $19). I just hate using a controller (WSAD allll the way) so the issues with the PS3 port ticked me off doubly. JAE is probably right, if you're used to using a PS3 it shouldn't bother you quite as much.

Andrew, get thee a copy of the orange box STAT.
    Half Life 2 is a must play!!!

Also, ps3 goodies: Ratchett and Clank and Uncharted are indeed essential. Dead Space is way better than Resident Evil 5. And I really enjoyed Little Big Planet and Infamous.
    post28!

How do we feel about Fallout 3? I've never bothered because I thought it was just another mindless 1st-person shooter war game, but the post-apocalyptic RPG elements are intriguing me.

I'm coming to accept that popular gaming has largely gone in directions that aren't for me. I suppose the retro renaissance that's happening just now will appease me somewhat!

Fallout is not your everyday 1st person shooter. It's more like Oblivion. You can shoot 'real-time' but you mostly use a targeting system that's very jrpg in nature.
    It's a very good game, but I found the settings to become quite boring and empty after a while. Still, that was after I sank a LOT of hours in it

If it's your cup of tea, Oblivion is totally amazing.
    And for retro-style gaming, keep an eye out on the ps-store games. That's where the more indie, oldskool things end up. Try Flower!
    post28!

Yeah Fallout for me is a difficult one - on the one hand it's really interesting from an RPG perspective because of the vastness of it - I love post-apoctalyptic stuff so it was fascinating to really explore that world in the first person. BUt like Wout says, it can become sort of boring after a while, I think because the colour scheme rarely changes and a lot of the environments start looking the same - but I can't really complain because I did sink dozens of hours into it. One of the good things is that you can change the difficulty setting at any point in the game, so if you were more interested in having a less intensive experience and just doing casual exploring while following along with the story, you could bump it right down to easy. Personally I would go for the other tighter games first or even if you do get it, keep it as something you come back to every now and again in between playing other ones and that way you won't get as fatigued by it - I find it a lot more enjoyable going back to after a while. Whatever you do though, don't get the Game of the Year edition - it's glitchy as fuck. You'll miss out on the DLC but it really isn't necessary anyway unless you are into the game in a big way.

And yes, LittleBigPlanet is lots of fun! I found the level creation stuff to be too complex but as a simple (although it gets difficult towards the end) platformer it's pretty unique from anything else that's available out there this generation.