Thread: so i need some advice (though not for me!)

these days just seem to crush me

so i need some advice (though not for me!)

i'm not pregnant - i swear ! but i just found out my sister is (likely story). now, she's 31 years old, but it really is like dealing with a teenager who became pregnant. first, she doesn't have a job. second, the guy she's with is okay (she's been with him almost a year), but they have had tons of problems (ie. he's an alcoholic). and finally, this guy has a job, but it's really not a reliable source of income. and she still sort of still lives at home with the parents. and did i mention she doesn't drive?

anyways, she seems happy about it, so terminating the pregnancy is not an option. she has no health insurance, and her boyfriend has no insurance either...

what sort of options does she have? does planned parenthood do all the pre-natal screenings/appointments she needs? i'm not quite sure if she'll qualify for public aid/medicaid - she has a lot of money saved up (maybe about $50,000?) but no income at the moment. she's asking me for advice and what she can do, and i really don't know. i've looked up some things on the internet, but still feel completely lost. she really doesn't have any friends with kids either, so there really is no one to turn to who shares her situation.

can any one offer any help or advice i can give her? i'm really stressing about this, and it's not even me!!
    Last edited by Jessy; 09-25-2011 at 12:13 AM.

The $50k could likely knock her out of eligibility for medicaid, but it wouldn't hurt to apply. The worst they could say is no. I would start with a visit to the health department; they should be able to point her in all the directions that she needs to go.

Just be with her, make sure you go to the first few appointments when she learns things she should do/be prepared for, and hold her hand. I think its incredibly sweet that you're so concerned for her, but people have been having babies for eons and essentially is a pretty predictable process. Not much to learn really! Just be there and walk the walk with her - you will have the role of aunt to get used to too
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

I know some states have insurance for lower income people that don't qualify for medicaid. But, at least you know that if she doesn't qualify for any insurance that she has the money to pay for care during her pregnancy.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    sorry (sort of) to be a dick, but if there is any expectation that she get additional moneys without having to touch her 50K, that's pretty ridiculous. Medicaid has been notoriously difficult/lengthy to apply for recently, and that's for people without a shit ton of savings. Medicaid will definitely look at her assets and rightly so. Personally, i dont think i should be paying for the prenatal care of someone who has 50K in savings, but thats the republican in me i guess.

im sure she can get low-cost prenatal care at PP which i think is sliding scale/income based, and her kid might qualify for low cost health care through the state, but again that depends on how they look at her savings. Other than that, she could go to the library and get her read on about what to expect when she's expecting etc. etc.

these days just seem to crush me
    ^^it's okay, i feel the same way. i told her that she most likely wouldn't qualify because i didn't think medicaid eligibility was just based solely on income. she'll just have to go the planned parenthood route most likely to get low-cost pre-natal care.