Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumbstruck with the sweetness of being: Ys Listening Party 25th Sept 11pm GMT/6pm EST

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Those orchestrations are really wonderful, yet never become the singable melody of the song, if you know what I mean? They highlight, and dance around, and create atmosphere, and keep the music feeling fresh, but never overpower her vocal melody.

I love it when the harp drops out for "you came and lay a cold compress upon the mess I'm in"... it makes it all the more potent a line.

I just can't imagine how she can remember all these lyrics and these, like you said ebby, complementary melodies as she's performing live. Wow.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Kari calls Emily a Joanna "gateway drug" and I think that is so right - on first listen, Ys can be a bit overwhelming or at least it was for me, but Emily was the one that really kept me coming back.

The melody change into the "help me find my way back in" bit is extraordinarily beautiful.

It's one thing that I think she does rather masterfully is having some real musical complexity to her harp / accompanying parts, and keeping the vocal melodies quite straightforward, folky, and singable. It makes the music both accessible and yet complex, interesting, and engaging. There's real artistry to her melodic writing - some of her melodies on this album are some some the strongest ones she's ever written.

I also think this song flies by. I just looked down at the time at the "pa pointed out to me" bit and it's already been on for almost 10 minutes.

I'm still fairly new to Joanna and Ys was the last album I got but it definitely significantly increased my love for her and this track was a big part of that for the reasons ebby mentions. I wouldn't try singing though, the people around me wouldn't like that. At all.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

*sniff*

Not the most constructive comment, but still, *sniff.*

I love meteor spotting!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Those low bass plucked strings at the end are so wonderful.

(sorry, my internet crapped out for the second half of that song)

Monkey & Bear was the last song I got into on this record, but it's grown so much in my love ever since. That opening is wonderful.

The orchestration in this track is wonderful - some great little brass moments and the like. Really colours the music quite beautifully.

...I have no idea what's going on.

...and their applause caws the kettle black
    and we can't have none of that!

That's adorable.

Monkey and Bear is possibly the album's most underrated, I feel. It's amazing, of course.

Lyrically this one is a little more cryptic, I think. I honestly leave the lyrical interps to other people, and just revel in the sound of the words she chooses. Even if the lyrics were poetry and not sung, there'd still be so much music in those words.

This melody that comes in from :"deep in the night
    shone a weak and miserly light
    where the monkey shouldered his lamp" is just so divinely beautiful. And those winds playing around behind her before the surge of the strings!

and then it comes back with the dual vocal to the end.... UGH brilliance.

IIRC the names are also references to the stars again - there are a buttload of astronomy references in this album. Ursula = Ursa = Bear. Ursa Minor and Ursa Major.