33 26.19%
  • 500 Miles

28 22.22%
  • OTHER: Mary, Angels, A Silent Night With You, Carry

9 7.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Single (TBK-NOH)

Worst Single (TBK-NOH)

Tori's done some pretty terrible songs in the past decade, and lucky for us, quite a few of them were singles. How many people wanted to admit they loved Tori when Sleeps with Butterflies was tearing up the adult contemporary charts? Or when 500 Miles was making rounds in grocery stores across the country? It was a dark time.

ETA: I included the TOAL singles too, because the new Mary is pretty bad IMO.

Mary (10/03)
    Angels (12/03)
    Sleeps with Butterflies (1/05)
    Sweet the Sting (6/05)
    Cars and Guitars (11/05)
    Big Wheel (4/07)
    Bouncing Off Clouds (4/07)
    Almost Rosey (11/07)
    Welcome To England (4/09)
    Maybe California (5/09)
    500 Miles (8/09)
    A Silent Night With You (11/09)
    Carry (9/11)

Last edited by Octopussy; 09-30-2011 at 04:41 AM.

Cars and Guitars! The rim line alone puts this song in a class of its own. It's practically a platonic form, floating about as an ideal of Terrible.

I'm doing a top 5

1. A Silent Night With You - Easily the schmaltziest thing she has ever done. Bad lyrics and a bad vocal too - the last "siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilent night" kills me, but not in a good way.
    2. Mary - Corny and contrived but strangely non-commercial. The 2003 version is a massive failure all around, with some of her worst singing ever.
    3. Maybe California - I actually warmed up to this song a little recently, because the arrangement is kind of nice, but what a boring song to release to radio. Also, this is the type of song that people used to accuse Tori of writing even though she never did.
    4. 500 Miles - AKA soundtrack to the latest Disney girls adventure movie. One of her most embarrassing songs.
    5. Sleeps with Butterflies - I blame this song for the downward spiral, even though it may have started earlier (1000 Oceans?)

Cars & Guitars and Big Wheel are guilty pleasures for me, though I recognize them as terrible songs. Sweet the Sting, Angels and Welcome to England are mediocre. That leaves only Bouncing Off Clouds, Almost Rosey and Carry which are all decent songs.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 09-30-2011 at 03:56 AM.

That poll is actually the tracklist of the 20th anniversary album plus China and Leather.

You are what you wear. Corey Haim's Avatar
    MAYBE CALIFORNIA

honestly, i really don't have *that much* of a problem with the other tracks listed. well, maybe cars and guitars. but even that track is genius next to MC.
    It basically comes down to that word: love. I guess that's what it's all about.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Oh fuck, Maybe California. I didn't see it on the poll, and always forget it was technically a single. I would've voted for it instead of my hairtrigger Sweet the Sting reaction had I remembered. Though I still think Sting deserves a vote.

Was Maybe California a single? I honestly don't recall. In that case, MC all the fucking way.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshMownGrass View Post
    That poll is actually the tracklist of the 20th anniversary album plus China and Leather.

Probably A Silent Night With You; it's cute, but not sung as well as it could've been. Do I know all the lyrics? Indeed.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'm doing a top 5

1. A Silent Night With You - Easily the schmaltziest thing she has ever done. Bad lyrics and a bad vocal too - the last "siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilent night" kills me, but not in a good way.
    2. Mary - Corny and contrived but strangely non-commercial. The 2003 version is a massive failure all around, with some of her worst singing ever.
    3. Maybe California - I actually warmed up to this song a little recently, because the arrangement is kind of nice, but what a boring song to release to radio. Also, this is the type of song that people used to accuse Tori of writing even though she never did.
    4. 500 Miles - AKA soundtrack to the latest Disney girls adventure movie. One of her most embarrassing songs.
    5. Sleeps with Butterflies - I blame this song for the downward spiral, even though it may have started earlier (1000 Oceans?)
    A Silent Night With You I have never heard, nor have any desire to hear. And with the exception of Mary, I have not listened all the way through to any of the other 3 songs. They sounded so terrible after the first 30 seconds or so, that I pronounced them DOA.

How can any of you approve of a song that starts with chaw-chinch-a-chaw-chaw-chich-a-chaw... it is not only her worst song, but perhaps the worst song ever made. Eff you Cars and Guitars. Eff you!

Quote Originally Posted by G. View Post
    Was Maybe California a single? I honestly don't recall. In that case, MC all the fucking way.
    Basically anything that was on a 1-track promo, or anything that was a free download is a "single" in the Tori 2000's. Maybe California was a free(?) download before AATS came out, so I'm calling it a single. Same with Carry.

I can also say that the worst cover is ASNWY. They put "With" and "You" as one word.

I think SWB is by far the worst song of her career, so I voted for that.
    Sound is the blood between me and you

Maybe California

I didn't even know that Angels was a single?????

Well, where to start here...There is just one pure brilliance after another. The only good ones are Big Wheel and Bouncing Off Clouds. Welcome To England got killed by cheese-guitar and the rest is just unbelieveable. Probably Mary, cause nobody ever wanted to hear that shit and 500 Miles. I am still in shock.