Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate Bush Chart History

Ugh, Maxwell. He didn't even have a hit with TWW here. Any Brit so music-historically inept as to call TWW 'the Maxwell song' needs slapping. And on the evidence of the quality of the performances involved, their vocal cords cutting. And a big jar of eye-make-up remover too.

It's really beautiful to me that TWW is so touching to so many people that it could get into the top 75 after a single performance on TV. And it's happened several times!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    "Running Up That Hill" re-enters at UK #51 on sales of 6,011 this week, making its first appearance on the UK singles chart since its original run ended in October 1985. It adds a 12th week to its chart run.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    "Running Up That Hill" re-enters at UK #51 this week, making its first appearance on the UK singles chart since its original run ended in October 1985. It adds a 12th week to its chart run.
    How funny! I wonder what sparked that re-entry.

ETA: Never mind, I read back a bit and figured it out. Those talent shows...
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

The Whole Story back inside the UK Top 100 at No.92 this week, from last week's No.124. I'm sure the Olympics effect will be enough to propel back into the Top 75 come next week. And I wonder where the new "Running Up That Hill" could end up...

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Oh this is beautiful, I'm double posting with delight:

A double whammy of excellence right there

!

Have updated the front page to reflect the news that the 2012 remix of "Running Up That Hill" gives Kate a seventh UK Top 10 hit single (eighth counting the On Stage EP) by entering at #6.

Also, The Whole Story re-enters at #21 to clock a 57th week on the official chart.

Have updated the front page to reflect the news that the 2012 remix of "Running Up That Hill" gives Kate a seventh UK Top 10 hit single (eighth counting the On Stage EP) by entering at #6.
    Yes!!

Click—click—drone.
    I'd just like to point out that this is not a "new" Top 10 hit for Kate. Whilst the 2012 remix was actually a new release, its sales were combined with those of the original for chart purposes. Remember that during its week of release, RUTH original was also charting steadily in the 40s and 50s on iTunes even after the remix had tumbled out of the Top 10, which was the reason it managed to still enter at #6 on the official chart. Just like the re-entry at #51 on 19/05/2012, this new run is still part of the original.

That's what I feared, which is quite disappointing. It would have been nice if they could have separated the sales.

Click—click—drone.
    That's what I feared, which is quite disappointing. It would have been nice if they could have separated the sales.
    But then the remix would most probably not have managed a Top 10 placing on its own! Still, it remains a rare achievement that, even thanks to a newly released remix, a song of hers has managed to grace the Top 10 twice within a 27 year span.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    It's semantic really. She's still now had hits in 5 decades, one of them being classed as a re-entry doesn't change that.

Alex, welcome!