Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Q & A

General Q & A

For all your questions that don't seem to fit anywhere else!

Does anyone have any experience with Target's return policy regarding makeup/skin products. I ordered several things online (cleanser, mask, toner, scrub, lotion and primer), and after using them for a few weeks, they're doing nothing for my skin. I checked out Target's return policy online, and this is a portion of what it says about returns: "The following items are non returnable if opened and may only be exchangeable: music, movies, video games and software." It doesn't mention makeup, and I couldn't find it anywhere else, so I called their 1-800 number. The guy I talked to told me that my stuff wasn't returnable, since it's been opened. So, is that just standard practice when dealing with makeup/skin products, or should I still go to my local store and try to get a refund/exchange based on the fact that their return policy online doesn't list makeup as something that can't be returned if opened. I've never tried to return something like that, so I don't know if it's well-known that you can't. I can understand why you wouldn't be able to, considering it's unusable now, but surely they can take a $60 loss and make their customer happy. Or am I just out of luck?

This was a recent topic on another board I visit. The poster tried to return makeup that had been opened, because their return policy doesn't say you can't. Anyway, they gave her a really hard time and said they are trained not to accept those kinds of returns, but will do it just this once.

Personally I would feel weird trying to return that much stuff after using it for weeks.

Well, to be fair, their return policy is 90 days. I had it for almost three weeks, but only used it for two, really (and we're talking mask once a week, scrub twice a week, the others once a day--used sparingly, and most all of each product is still there--not that it matters, as I know it's not resalable, but I just want to clarify that I didn't use most of the stuff and then decide that I didn't like it). But I wanted to give it enough time to see if it would make a difference with my skin, which it unfortunately did not. If I weren't desperate for something to actually work on my skin, but too poor to test stuff, throw it away and buy new when it didn't work (or just be able to afford the high-end stuff to begin with), then I wouldn't even bother. I'd chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on. But $60 is a lot to me and is the difference in me being able to try a new product or being stuck with this until it's gone and just making the most of it (which is what I'll most likely have to do). Anyway, thanks for your response.

You'll never leave Harlan alive. orange shampoo's Avatar
    I'm not sure what brand of products you tried, but Rite Aid has an excellent return policy on such things -- you can return whatever you try. I've returned everything from crappy nail polish (normally I wouldn't bother, but it was seriously THAT crappy...) to a facial moisturizer that burned.

The Rite Aid 100% Risk-Free Beauty Guarantee.*
    Any opened or used beauty product of any brand name can be returned for a full refund when accompanied by a register receipt. Beauty categories subject to the guarantee are skin care/depilatories, sun care, bath/soap, hair care (shampoo, conditioner, styling and professional), hair color, cosmetics, ethnic beauty aids, fragrances, cosmetic organizers and personal care appliances.

*Offer valid on in-store purchases only.

My husband's employer just loosened the dress code and jeans are now ok, but they're not supposed to look faded or worn. Does anyone have advice on where to find jeans like that? Everything we've seen so far is super worn looking.

^^I purchased a bunch of work jeans at Banana Republic and have been happy with them. I find they most closely match the quality of my favorite 'premium denim' brand (Nudie) but are less expensive and can take the beating of constant washes without worry. I usually only purchase there during christmas season because everything goes half off, making the price point more sensible.

None of the washes online look quite right to me - Not sure if they aren't carrying the make I preferred, or if the images are just color corrected to death but something along the lines of these:

I'd also pop into HM if you have one around, they can be really hit or miss, but if you manage to hit the prices can't be beat.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we'll hit up Banana Republic at the outlet mall this weekend.

Dark washes are all over so hopefully it won't be too hard to find something.

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for loose face powder. I have pretty fair combo skin, and have been using Rimmel/ Maybelline/ whatever's on sale. I'm curious about Bare Minerals, or something similar, and whether or not it's worth the price tag. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There was this old brand called Coty Airspun Loose Powder that worked wonders. I haven't seen it in stores for a while but I believe it can still be purchased online.

As for Bare Minerals, it didn't go to well with my skin, so it always looked off on me. Like there was this perpetual sheen on my face instead of natural matte. I also need a lot of coverage due to ruddy skin, dark circles under my eyes and combo skin, and it seemed like BM never really did the trick.

I've been using this from e.l.f. I bought it because I've never tried e.l.f. before and didn't know their colours, so this was a good way to get 4 light ones at once. I really like it, but it's messy using this container. Once I'm done this one I will get one correct colour and hopefully it will be easier to use. I find they have great prices and good user reviews there too.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Makeup Forever HD powder is amazing. If I am having a good face day, that is all I need to bring it all together, and keep down shine. It is pricey, but lasts forever and I have never been so pleased with a loose powder in my life. They have colors or translucents.
    all i want to do is take naps on the sun

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by inexcelsis17 View Post
    Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for loose face powder. I have pretty fair combo skin, and have been using Rimmel/ Maybelline/ whatever's on sale. I'm curious about Bare Minerals, or something similar, and whether or not it's worth the price tag. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Bare Minerals gave me one of the worst breakouts I've ever experienced. It's quite common, I've read. Aside from that, it really didn't give me any coverage, and felt unusually heavy on my skin.

I really love the Laura Mercier mineral powder. If my skin isn't breaking out too badly and if my scarring isn't too dark that day, I can get away with this for coverage without anything under it. It's finely milled and never looks cakey. It's not cheap, but you don't need much.

Has anyone used Jane Iredale stuff? I'm thinking about trying it.