Page 113 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 2452

Thread: Björk news, updates, and random chatter.

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    I am having Cosmogony on repeat, especially when I'm not listening to it! It's along the vein of Dull Flame of Desire in terms of sweeping epicness, and it makes a perfect workout song. (Seriously! HEA-VEN *lift weight* HEAVEN's BODY *lower weight* etc.)
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

I enjoyed the album on first listen, and now after a few days with it, I can say that I really like this album start to finish. I haven't really connected with her post-Vespertine output, so I was cautious, but it really got me. I'm very impressed. I do hope I get to see a residency. (Have they announced a line-up or are they just coming out one at a time?)

really connecting with this album, more than with Medulla for instance. Cosmogony is much better than the single version although I'm unsure about Crystalline. I'm missing the vocals at the end but it doesn't really matter, the song is great. Every song on there is great in my opinion and it feels, once again, like a "bjork" album, whatever that means. Even the back cover reminds me of Post's. So far, my favourites are Mutual Core and Sacrifice although I'm only getting warmed up. Unlike Volta for which I felt a bit disappointed in certain tracks when I first listened to it (Dull Flame, Hope), there is no doozer on this new album for me.

Wow, "Moon" just totally hit me with its beauty. "Sacrifice" too, I love the Sharpsicord.

So I just decided to look up the e.e. cummings poem on which "Sun In My Mouth" is based, and I realized that the line is "with chasteness of sea-girls." I always thought it was "with chasteness of seagulls."

You know...unlike those other, slutty waterfowl.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    That's interesting! I just checked the Vespertine booklet and it's printed as "chasteness of seagulls." So either she got it wrong or changed it.

It might be too early to say so but I think Biophilia is in my Björk Top 3 with Vespertine and Medulla, which I did not expect.

Quote Originally Posted by dAmION View Post
    i get some of their points, but some of that was downright harsh. unnecessarily so.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I was just thinking that today that Biophilia and Medulla are currently my favourite two Björk records, with Homogenic and Debut right up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    I was just thinking that today that Biophilia and Medulla are currently my favourite two Björk records, with Homogenic and Debut right up there too.
    I would replace Debut with Vespertine. Selmasongs and DR9 are up there as well, because I'm partial to I've Seen It All and Gratitude. But I never could appreciate the Noh song!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I think Biophilia is one of her most consistent records, if not the most consistent. There's nothing on it that I would cut and nothing that feels weaker than anything else. "Dark Matter" and "Hollow" are definitely the most difficult but I feel they add to the feeling of balance on the album and I wouldn't be without them. I also think "Hollow" into "Virus" is great, inspired sequencing.

I haven't listened to DR9 in an age, I should do that. I agree, "Holographic Entrypoint" isn't exactly particularly enjoyable listening.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    I haven't listened to DR9 in an age, I should do that. I agree, "Holographic Entrypoint" isn't exactly particularly enjoyable listening.
    I normally listen before I sleep, and Entrypoint is where I pass out to enter Slumberland
    I haven't watched the show nor will I get to if youtube deleted the clips, wondering if there is a Noh play acted out to go with the song?

Re. Pitchfork review : I suppose if Radiohead had made Biophilia the exact same way, it would have gotten a 9...

The thing I've felt for a while with Björk is that the quality of her work doesn't always translate to good reviews. For example, a complaint I've caught a few times with Biophilia is that it's self-indulgent and overly difficult to crack. I get where those complaints are coming from, but it's Björk, for heaven's sake. She already did a standards album decades ago, with Gling-Glo. Even Debut had songs that, to this day, seem avant garde (I'm looking right at you, "Anchor Song"). I read some of these reviews and I'm left wondering what they're expecting, if not weird, self-indulgent, difficult to crack music.

"Thunderbold" and "Cosmogony" are the two I haven't connected with to much yet. The first seems to ramble on a bit too much while the latter needs a bit more of something.