Page 63 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: Björk news, updates, and random chatter.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Another photo

Lyrically, I'm really surprised no one mentioned Hidden Place!

now, i have been slightly shy
    but i can smell a pinch of hope
    to almost have allowed once fingers to stroke
    the fingers i was given to touch with
    but careful careful

he's the beautifullest - fragilest - still strong
    dark and divine
    and the littleness of his movements
    hides himself
    he invents a charm that makes him invisible
    hides in the hair

can i hide there too?
    hide in the hair of him
    seek solace
    sanctuary

I listened to Vespertine again last week and realised just how amazing a lot of those lyrics are.

I was just coming in to say how I was listening to Vespertine last night on a long drive home, and both the music and lyrics grabbed me after not hearing it for a long time. Hidden Place is amazing. It's Not Up To You is such a cute, effective message. Unison is just breathtaking and fills me full of love and hope. It's such an amazing album. And oh yeah, Harm of Will is just brilliant.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

One of my Vespertine faves, and one I feel is quite underrated, is "Sun In My Mouth." Just gorgeous!

There's not a song on it I don't like, but I always felt "An Echo, A Stain" was more of a mood piece that I can admire rather than actively love. A few weeks ago I listened to the Vespertine Live version from the Live Box and thought it was very good.

I think it's incredible how sexual Vespertine is, and in some parts, how graphic- " Crouching/Sucking him" - but turns the idea of sex as something dirty into something absolutely beautiful.

It's interesting how she seems to totally own others' words in Vespertine. "Harm of Will," as Adam mentioned, for example - written by Harmony Korine for Will Oldham, but totally fitting for the record. And e.e. cummings' poem in "Sun in My Mouth". The way she sets them to music and then delivers their words is as important and powerful - if not more important than - the words themslves.

I agree - I was just thinking about that with Cocoon as well; it's quite a saucy, sexual song but I feel she gets that beautiful mood perfectly - "gorgeousness! He's still inside me" when she sings it sounds just full of joy. And the song itself, with all the microbeats, and the way her voice is really high and whispery and close to the microphone captures the intimacy she was going for excellently.

Quote Originally Posted by clarion View Post
    It's interesting how she seems to totally own others' words in Vespertine. "Harm of Will," as Adam mentioned, for example - written by Harmony Korine for Will Oldham, but totally fitting for the record. And e.e. cummings' poem in "Sun in My Mouth". The way she sets them to music and then delivers their words is as important and powerful - if not more important than - the words themslves.
    That's a great point, and I agree.

As much as I love Vespertine it's almost too much, you know? It makes me feel quite voyeuristic.

Agreed with all! But I just love the album. Not too much for me...Just enough!

feel it seep thru the slick divide MyNameisWarts's Avatar
    You guys! Bjork did not write the lyrics to the Dancer in the Dark songs!

(she may have changes some of them for the recording of Selmasongs but it is by and large Lars Von Trier's poetry )

They took the gay right out of me. Buelis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    One of my Vespertine faves, and one I feel is quite underrated, is "Sun In My Mouth." Just gorgeous!

There's not a song on it I don't like, but I always felt "An Echo, A Stain" was more of a mood piece that I can admire rather than actively love. A few weeks ago I listened to the Vespertine Live version from the Live Box and thought it was very good.
    That's interesting, because that's how I feel about Harm of Will, however I adore Echo/Stain unconditionally.

Vespertine is such a perfect album. I don't really have much more to add that hasn't been said already, but I always look forward to listening to it during the winter months.

Anyone having trouble with the new 'past' section at bjork.com? The link appears to me, but I click on it and nothing happens, the galaxy doesn't go anywhere. I tried opening the site with Firefox, Chrome and Safari and everything works just fine, except the 'past' link. =S