4. There's More to Life Than This
    5. Like Someone in Love
    6. Big Time Sensuality
    7. One Day
    8. Aeroplane
    9. Come to Me
    10. Violently Happy
    11. The Anchor Song

I remember when I first saw this album cover, I thought that Bjork was from Asia. This is one of those albums that I had to pick up later after getting into Homogenic.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I remember when this album came out. I was in my first year of high school and alternative kinds of music were readily available on the radio and on tv. I really took notice of Bjork with the video for Big Time Sensuality. I brought the album late in the year but didn't get to listen to it often since I didn't have a discman or a stereo of my own and my parents absolutely would not let me listen to Bjork on the family stereo system

For Christmas 1993 my parents brought me a stereo of my own and Debut was the first CD I played on it Over and over and over again ...

I never really liked Debut. It's always been at the bottom of my list of Bjork albums, but I don't think I ever gave it a chance, thinking it was the typical dance/trance/electronic music, which I'm not a big fan of. I just put it on and have been loving it. It's totally wonderful, uplifting and fun to listen to. I think the fact that One Day was performed this tour and sounds so awesome awakened me to the greatness of Debut. It's definitely going up my list! I also rediscovered Post Now I just need to get into Volta!
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I adore There's More to Life Than This more than most songs ever. I actually gave the whole album a re-listen earlier tonight, and it's really stood the test of time well! Also holds up well against the rest of her career, I think. She's musically evolved so much, but Debut doesn't seem inferior in comparison (at least to me).

Dude, There's More to Life Than This is all kinds of awesome. I love the studio version, but the live take that made the record is just amazing.

The Toilet version of TMTLTT is amazing, so much better than the studio version. I can't imagine how did they imagine it would be fun to play that part in a bathroom.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Well, Debut was her best and her commercially most successful. The latest albums fall flat compared to the brilliance that was Debut.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samko View Post
    Well, Debut was her best and her commercially most successful.
    In Germany or worldwide?

Debut and Post were commercially most successful worldwide. She charted higher with others, but in the longrun these two sold the most.

My least favourite album.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    My least favorite is Volta, then Debut.
    I have never heard the studio version of TiMtLTT. Is it on a single as a b-side?

Yup! It's on first CD for Venus as a Boy.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Hm! I have that single! Will have to dig it up tomorrow. Or the day after tomorrow.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    This is possibly my other favourite Björk album. It is so celebratory, effusive and joyous. I put this on if I'm feeling glum as I'm guaranteed to be bouncing around the room by the time There's More To Life Than This or Big Time Sensuality comes on.

The blend of jazz, house and trip-hop music that defines the musical sound of this record gives that sense of joy and energy, and still feels fresh and vibrant nearly 20 years later.

What I love about it is the fact that it took some elements of popular music from that era - house and trip hop, and reinvented them through Björks wonderful sense of melody, jazz influences and arrangements, and breathed a different sort of life into dance music.

It's definitely been eclipsed musically by a lot of her later work, and she's had better singles, and better overall albums and more innovative musical exploration, but this record still holds that sense of the sheer happiness and ecstasy of the early 90's and sounds like an early love affair being played out musically.