Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Debut

Human Behavior sample:

Also, Arthur Lyman's Dahil Sayo was sampled at the very end of Aeroplane, but I can't find a YouTube link for it. But if you look the track up on iTunes, you'll find it. The part Björk sampled is at the very beginning.

I do like this album, but not as much as most of what followed it. It does hold up really well, though, and I've grown to appreciate it more over time.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    This album has grown on me a lot. I imagine hearing it in the '90s is a much different experience than hearing most of it for the first time in 2011, which is what I did. It's a fun record, but for all its production and big beats, it still feels timid. The only songs I can't really appreciate at all are Like Someone in Love (shmaltz), and the studio Violently Happy. The title "Violently Happy" makes me think of neon anime characters bouncing around, but the song is actually pretty dull - It's neither violent nor happy. All the live versions I've heard are quite excellent though. The one from the I Miss You single is one of my favorite tracks right now.

I've yet to find a definitive version of Big Time Sensuality - the song is so malleable but it seems like no one ever got it right.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    "like someone in love" is a jazz standard, and that kinda seems kinda like a leftover from her Gling Gló album, although this album does combine jazz influences with dance ones, so perhaps this was the pure jazz ballad moment.

I love that pause in tempo that track gives, and by then I'm usually smiling like a fool and ready to dance around my room to BTS (this album is like the best happy pill ever to me, though.)

I know what you mean though about Violently Happy - it hasn't aged particularly well, perhaps because it's the most early 90's dance of all the tracks on the record.

There was a great mix of Big Time Sensuality that used to get played all the time in the gay club here which was pretty wonderful, but very 90's dance too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It's a fun record, but for all its production and big beats, it still feels timid.
    I think timidity is what she was going for on Debut, hence the title and the shy look she presented on the album cover. It was a record of a young Icelandic girl, exploring the big city and starting to make a name for herself. Of course, that doesn't mean you have to enjoy it as such!
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

I didn't really recognize Like Someone in Love but figured it must be a standard. It's good that she mostly avoids covers now (although I have to admit, It's Oh So Quiet is fun.)

I like some of the Big Time Sensuality mixes, but I actually prefer the album version to everything I've heard. I really liked the Plaid mix for awhile, which is apparently the version she always plays live. But then I noticed it used a new vocal take AND the original vocal in parts, which is weird - the new vocal on that track is highly inferior, why not just use the old one the whole way through? The Fluke mix is ok, but too polished, and missing the verse/chorus dynamic of the original.

My favorite Big Time Sensuality is the studio version too; I know it's dated as hell, but I'd love if she'd bust out that one live sometime. The Plaid mix is okay; and of course the Fluke Mix is fine too, but nothing captures the song like the studio version does.

I totally hadn't heard this version of "One Day" before - it's not that far removed from the version she's doing on the Biophilia tour with the hang:

She really did do some very interesting live versions of the songs. Here's "Come to Me" with double bass and flute leading mostly..

this is one of my new favorites:

Yes, I'm just youtubing live stuff from 1994 now. That flautist is a bit of a ride, and plays sop sax (?) too:

This version of Crying is wonderful! And followed by Violently Happy reworked interestingly live:

And "Venus As A Boy" is gorgeous live in this incarnation!

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I've had a crush on that flute player ever since the first time I watched Vessel....so hot.

I really love all of the different ways she has translated Debut material live.

There's enough good-quality Debut live material out there, but I would have loved to hear a studio treatment of the way the band handled those songs on tour and on Unplugged.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    this is one of my new favorites:

i remember chasing copy of Japanese edition of Debut specifically for 'Atlantic' after seeing it live.....the studio version is somewhat great but this live version is much better.

Debut is a funny album for me because I was introduced to it at a young age and listened to it for hours every day, thought I'd milked all the goodness out. And then maybe 4 years later I moved from a very isolated place to a huge city and began to re-understand Debut, almost recreating Bjork's wonder/shock/disgust/ecstasy combo reaction when she moved to London for the first time from Reykjavik. Iremember thinking 'Crying' was a perfect headphones song for negotiating crazy subways every morning and enduring a shitty-but-manic-andleading-somewhere lifestyle in the city. So it's a huge nostalgia album for me

studio version of Atlantic = meh. The live reggae version is going to my beach song this summer.