Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Debut

Debut turned 20 years old yesterday!

Here's a birthday write up, courtesy of Stereogum.

I hardly ever listen to this album, but always enjoy newer, live interpretations.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Just listening to this today. I was just thinking how years later I appreciate it more and more.

Every year I listen to this album a few times. The last time, I was singing along to it while drunk in a jacuzzi with a friend. For some reason, it's the Bjork album I listen to the most. Maybe it's because on my mp3 player I have Play Dead and Oops! worked into the tracklist, and Violently Happy is (imo) the ultimate Bjork song.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    It's one of my favourites still, and it's one of her albums that I love to listen to from beginning to end in its entirety. I always say that it's my ultimate happy pill album - if you're down it's hard not to end up all smiley by "There's More To Life Than This" and then dancing around your room when "Big Time Sensuality" comes on.

I bought Debut when it came out and the record is my childhood/early teenage years Listened to it compulsively and actually became interested in pop music because of it. Somebody once described it as dance music arranged for a jazz band and I can kind of see what they mean, but for me it's about growing up and I can get properly emotional if I think of all the times it's seen me through. Happiest Birthday, Debut

Let's have a Debut listening party: http://unforumzed.com/showthread.php...y-11pm-UK-time

Because, all of the joys, that's why. All of them.

So, my Bjork knowledge really started with Homogenic, and even though I know individual songs from Debut and Post, I've never really listened to them as complete records. I have not been super-enthralled by any of her post-Homogenic releases (certain songs notwithstanding), and I'm apparently one of the few who doesn't care all that much for Vulnicura. So, in my isolation, and in an attempt to figure out just what it is about Bjork I like when her recent stuff has left me cold, I decided I'd go back and properly listen to Debut and Post. I put on Debut today while grading and it's SUCH a good record! It's like, I know why she's a big deal, but I'm imagining listening to this record when it first came out. No wonder people went apeshit for her.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Debut is properly amazing - like this marriage between jazz and dance pop. It's one the happiest records I listen to.

Its Post for me. That album is positively M.a.g.n.e.t.i.c.

Human Behavior and Big Time Sensuality were the only ones I knew from this album for the longest time. I thought they were cool, and Human Behavior was one of the first songs I downloaded on Napster (!!!LOL!!!) but they never made me want to seek out more. I think Crying, Come To Me and One Day probably would've sold me though. This is not the most timeless Bjork album, but to think about what it sounded like in the context of its time -- indeed, I should've gone apeshit for Bjork a long time ago. I don't know why I avoided her for so long... I think it was seeing her influence on some of my favorite bands of the 2000's like The Knife and CocoRosie that made me cave.

Some of the record has properly weird moments, like Aeroplane with its random jazz brass breaks. Because why not. When you look at some of the stuff on this record, you can see the roots of some of the musical exploration in later records. The love of the harp shows up here, and comes back in Vespertine. The love of really dense clashy harmonies in brass instruments is there on Anchor Song, and they're not too far removed from some of the dense harmonies she explored in vocals on Medulla and on the string parts on Vulnicura and the organ parts on Biophilia. She's always had a love for these dense clashy harmonies. Look at the instrumentation of Venus As A Boy, it's delightfully bonkers yet not a world away from the instrumentation on Vespertine (obviously there are differences...)

And Come To Me is basically beats and strings with a slow paced vocal melody stretched out over it. Not too far from what she really delved into further with Hyperballad, and then even more on Homogenic. Of course, her slightly idiosyncratic melodies are already in evidence on the album. So, it's a really interesting look in retrospect too, as you can see the beginnings of some of her musical explorations here.
    Last edited by ebby; 01-29-2015 at 01:09 PM.

pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    I don't think it's dated especially well. That house/art-song blend was tackled with way more thought and edge and creativity on Post imo, which still sounds fresh. It might be my least favourite of her main series of albums, actually, but it has "Human Behaviour" and "Venus" and the absurd live renditions with the harpsichord and gamelan ensemble so I keep it around.

I was back at my former university for a conference a few months back and became perplexed at all the Debut art posters I saw in various student residences....until it occured to me....Debut is now a classic cult album among 18 year olds in
    2015, the way Dark Side of the Moon or Hissing of Summer Lawns was when I was undergraduate ages ago

^I definitely loved The Hissing of Summer Lawns back when I was in undergrad.

Aww, I've never seen this live version of "Like Someone In Love" before:

Such a gem of a cover that is a beautiful moment on this album.