Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homogenic

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    ^With all the singles/EPs she's released (especially in the 90s), there almost is.

I've heard so many alternate takes on her tracks I sometimes forget which is the original.

Yeah but I don't mean club mixes or that digital hardcore crap, just something subtle like Immature and Cover Me (cave version.) I mostly hate the remixes from this album (Alec Empire, ugh)

Post and Homogenic are quite the one-two punch. This album is also just insanely good. The first four tracks taken together can probably trump almost any record's opening suite of songs that I can think of. I think it really shut up detractors that thought her act was a shtick, or that she was some sort of cutesy elf. The level of musicianship here is pretty astonishing. I hate the word "epic," but it really is the best word to describe a song like "Bachelorette."

I don't quite love everything on it, I have to admit. "All Neon Like" and "Immature" in particular don't do much for me, and I definitely think the second half is weaker than the first. That said, "Pluto" and "All Is Full of Love" are incredible. I do prefer the Plaid Mix of "All Is Full of Love" to the album version, but it's still a gorgeous album closer.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I find it so hard to listen to one track on this album without just sitting through the whole thing. It's really one of the most well-sequenced records out there. I'd describe it as a 'page-turner', if that made any sense.

Has anyone heard the early version of "5 Years"? It was performed live during the Post tour (where, I'm not sure), and I wonder if a demo exists. No disrespect to the studio version (gotta love the strings!), but the mechanical noises were a nice touch.

^And there was accordian on the Post-era versions.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    There are about 3 demos of 5 Years out there. This is the most obvious one, then there's the one you mentioned, and then there's one that is almost like the album version, but with less strings. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Stone; 06-25-2012 at 04:15 AM.

I remember downloading a Homogenic demo tape awhile back (it contained the track So Broken), but the version of 5 Years was pretty much like the studio one except with less strings. I was just wondering if there was a better-sounding version that followed the same lines as her live performance from the Post tour. Thanks for the download, Stone!

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    You and I might have the same recording of that since, as far as I know, a regular magnetic tape is the sole source of it (for us mortals, I mean).
    Last edited by Stone; 06-25-2012 at 08:54 PM.

That wasn't really a true demo tape, more like a work-in-progress/pre-master tape since most of the versions were pretty much the same. I've never seen any real Bjork solo demos but then again I haven't been around as a fan for that long.

You're right about the demos, Jim. I guess demo isn't the proper term to describe the other pre-Homogenic recordings. I too haven't found anything vastly different from the studio versions. I was told via another message board of a possible Vespertine demo, but then later found out that it was pretty much another pre-master like the one for Homogenic.

One work-in-progress from Homogenic that I love is Jacko, an instrumental of Alarm Call. I always thought the working title was a nod to Michael Jackson.

And about that download, Stone: first of all, thanks! When I started to play it, I immediately thought that it must have been a rip from the South Bank Show when Björk was in the recording studio. Have you seen it? I noticed the song had one or two questionable cuts, because I think the clips of her performing in-studio were broken up to slip in a little interview talk. A fan probably pieced it together and fiddled with the volume controls. It was still a treat to hear how that particular song evolved before it was officially released!

Quote Originally Posted by SleepySweet View Post
    I was told via another message board of a possible Vespertine demo, but then later found out that it was pretty much another pre-master like the one for Homogenic.

One work-in-progress from Homogenic that I love is Jacko, an instrumental of Alarm Call. I always thought the working title was a nod to Michael Jackson.

I've heard the Vespertine demos, they're interesting...lots of interesting synth sounds.

It's been quite a long time since I've listened to Homogenic in its entirety, but I did a couple days ago while having to stand on the bus for the length of the album. It's such a gorgeous album! There are a lot of neat sounds happening that are hardly noticeable unless listened for. I'm not sure how I came at the conclusion, but the album reminded me of a documentation of a dream (or Alice in Wonderland scenario).

It starts with an awake world, with Hunter being almost literal, but, as Bjork often mentions, she hears music in nature, and composes songs on walks, so Hunter is a representation of that, of the hunting of sounds, it goes deeper into Joga, and then with Unravel, she goes to sleep, tired after the day's end. I interpreted the song Unravel as the unraveling of the night. She sings to the day "while you are away, my heart comes undone...so when you come back, we'll have to make new love" and that happens in All is Full of Love (which I'll get to soon). Then in Bachelorette, the moment where we hear that dramatic music begin, is the "Alice" moment, where she falls into the hole, or in this case, into the dream. In All Neon Like she is rescued by something, deep inside the cave she falls into. "I weave for you this marvelous web," and "they will assist us," alludes to this. Then, a couple songs later, in Alarm Call, Bjork sings that "today has never happened," after being woken up by the alarm. It's still night time and she looks out the window and sees Pluto and sings about a new day beginning, the explosion of the planet, but she's still half awake, half asleep ("I'll wake up tomorrow brand new, a little bit tired,") and then, she does actually wake up, with All is Full of Love. The song itself has a very icy, sort of early morning sound to it. It's like a little prayer or meditation for the new day about to begin.

So, this is all. I know some of this is a bit of a stretch, but I quite like my interpretation of it, and it makes it interesting to visualize as the songs play. It certainly gives it a fresh perspective.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

Found some extra lyrics to Jóga:

Still on the topic of Homogenic, I was so excited to find a better live recording of her 1995 performance of 5 Years! It was known as "I Dare You" at the time.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Unsolicited thought from spyk_'s brain at 1am:

Isn't the transition from 5 Years into Immature just the best? I've listened to it about 500 times and each time it is still so satisfying.