Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medulla

Medulla

1. Pleasure Is All Mine
    2. Show Me Forgiveness
    3. Where Is the Line
    4. Vökuró
    5. Öll Birtan
    6. Who Is It (Carry My Joy on the Left, Carry My Pain on the Right)
    7. Submarine
    8. Desired Constellation
    9. Oceania
    10. Sonnets/Unrealities XI
    11. Ancestors
    12. Mouth's Cradle
    13. Miðvikudags
    14. Triumph of a Heart

The album that got me into her!

I adore Medulla.

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    Probably among my least listened to Bjork albums.

I love the music video for Triumph of a Heart!

My favorite song is probably "Where is the Line" but I also loved Oceania during the Olympics Ceremony.

This was a tough album to get into, but it has such strong melodies and they kind of forced themselves into my brain. It's the type of album that I grew to really appreciate and enjoy, even the crazy songs like "Ancestors." "Pleasure is All Mine" is such a romantic song. I don't know if it's supposed to be, but it's kind of sexy, I think!

"Oceania" is an awesome song and has an great video. "Where Is the Line," "Who Is It," "Mouth's Cradle," and "Triumph of a Heart"...all really great songs.

I was very disappointed in Medulla when it arrived- it seemed like Bjork was making fun of herself almost, maybe as a counterbalance to all earnestness of her preceding two or three albums. Then when she superglued bells onto 'Who is it?' immediately it was released, it looked like the whole 'no instrument' concept had failed to convince even her...so what was the point of Medulla?

Well, it took until 2011, but I finally embraced the songs for what they were- Bjork's first singalong album. Let me explain that I've always considered B's music as being something listenrd to rather than imitated. On Medulla, I think she was writing her most accessible and hummable tunes yet and I loved the Triumph video. Right now, I'm almost discovering and loving Medulla for tge first time because I can take it on its own merits rather than scowl at it for not being Vespertine or Homogenic.

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    Probably among my least listened to Bjork albums.
    Same, I felt and still feel that its too cerebral, academic, and bloodless, I wish she would have gone further in an electronic direction from Vespertine and had found a way to utilize classical instruments in a more dynamic, interesting way.

One of my very favorite records by anyone. Cerebral, yes, but I feel that gives the album more blood. Hell, it even resonates with the name of the record.

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    This is my favourite album by her! What she aimed to accomplish and still achieved with this one is bloody brilliant! Also Triumph of the Heart (mew mew mew mew)!

Holy shit.
    This is even better than the original version. How can that guy play the piano THAT WAY!?

From what I remember it was two people or two pianos playing it at the same time.

I always assumed it was programmed/sampled...or at least the really crazy, fast bits with lots of notes in rapid succession.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I think this may be the most technically difficult album ever made.
    We are not talking about a bunch of players sitting around having a jam session with guitars, drums and pianos. Or a singer being handed a bunch of tracks and popping an album out in 2 weeks. I mean, this was like making a quilt from pieces scattered about all over the planet.

Watching the documentary, I think I would have gotten to a point where I would have stressed to such an extreme.. pulling my hair out.. but she was so calm and so sure that she would create an album completely made with nothing but voice. And how she found the programs that could manipulate those sounds into baselines, etc., and make something pleasant to the ear.
    I mean, she didn't have to do all this. But the challenge. It's commendable.
    "Where is the Line" is my angry anti-Bush Jr. song.
    "Triumph of a Heart" is my favorite video ever taking the spot away from Sade's "By Your Side."
    And of course.. The pleasure is all mine.. always
    But will you find me if Neil makes me a tree? - Tori.
    Heck yea I will, grrrl. You go be that tree, henny!

At the time I was quite disappointed that I didn't get my big rough electronic album. The preceding tour had these amazing electronic arrangements (Army of Me, Storm, Where Is The Line, An Echo or a Stain, etc.) and I expected she was moving into this direction for Medulla. Boy, was I wrong!

^YES!!!! Totally agree, I wanted something big and bold and aggro

I do like the album version of Where is the Line?, but the early version she performed on the Greatest Hits tour was AMAZING.