Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Medulla

^My favorite version of the song!

it's even more frustrating since we never got any official recording from that tour.

I think she performed Where Is the Line a handful of times during that tour. I remember one being a little better in quality than the others, but I can't remember at which gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Homogenik View Post
    it's even more frustrating since we never got any official recording from that tour.
    There's a radio broadcast of the Berlin show. But that version of WITL is not her best performance, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepySweet View Post
    I think she performed Where Is the Line a handful of times during that tour. I remember one being a little better in quality than the others, but I can't remember at which gig.
    She performed it on virtually all of the European shows, but couldn't perform it on the US dates because Leila Arab wasn't allowed into the US. That's partially why the US got other treats, like Scatterheart, Show Me Forgiveness and Mouth's Cradle.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    This is my second favorite album, but it took me a LONG time to get into.
    I did not listen to any leaks, or any live versions of any of the songs...not even Oceania which, IIRC, was performed/lip-synched some time before the album was released, right?
    I got the album the day it came out. I came home, listened to it, and Shelved The Album for about ... a year and a half? I bought it on DVA because I was reading it was hard to find and found it in my city...but didn't listen to it until much later.

When I got Surrounded, I decided to finally give it another go. I still felt the album made me very uneasy and had to skip almost every track the first few times.
    Then, one day, it just sunk. I was completely blown away by the 5.1 mix of it (which I still prefer a thousand times over the crappy-sounding 2-channel CD). I was trapped by this album. I tried to imagine every voice being an actual instrument, and I appreciated what a great artist she truly is. I couldn't believe my ears! It made me smile for months after that...and so it became my second favorite. (Sorry. Long, boring post. Should probably go to bed now).

PS. I wish I had gotten into this album the moment it came out and hunted down those gorgeous-looking singles!
    Last edited by Stone; 11-02-2011 at 05:49 AM.

This has been kind of a distressing listen to for me. I keep thinking the voices are coming from somewhere inside my house, or worse, inside my head. WORST HEADPHONES ALBUM EVER.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 12-31-2011 at 02:24 AM.

Who Is It is in my top 5 Bjork songs now. I can't decide which version I like the most, album or Bell Choir.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 02-16-2012 at 12:32 AM.

This is the last Bjork album I really dug. At first it felt like a relative disappointment, but it definitely had staying power for me. I came back to it a lot, and my appreciation of it just deepened. I love most of it, and I actually even kind of like the much-maligned "Ancestors." It works within the context of the record. I think "Pleasure Is All Mine" is a genius opener and is my favorite tune on the album.

I haven't connected with her two subsequent records, but the stretch from Post through Medulla is just one triumph after another after another.

Argh! I'm totally obsessed! I think I've listened to Who Is It at least once a day for the past 2 months.

I bought the Who Is It DVD for the two remixes which are great, but they sound really compressed. At first I thought it was the rip that I had, but it is the DVD itself. Anyone know if those mixes were released elsewhere, like on CD?

/audiophile

pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    I think this is the perfect Björk album. Some of her strongest songwriting and most memorable melodies ever are here (Who Is It, Oceania, Pleasure is All Mine, Triumph of Our Heart), the production is fantastic and the collaborations are just dreamy (Robert Wyatt! Rahzel!). I love how personal and intimate and Icelandic and Björkish it is, and how it feels like a summation of all her work prior. I also love how it balances both experimentalism and accessibility - Who Is It and Ancestors on the same album? - and cohesion and variety - it's not scattershot like Debut or homogenic like Homogenic, there are a ton of different genres and structures and forms being played with but all is united under the distinctive a cappella umbrella.

It's the only Björk album where I don't skip any tracks.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I agree with your assessment; I think the reviews and press surrounding Medulla seemed to make it out to be more avant-garde than it is a lot of the time - some of her most accessible pop melodies can be found on it, imo. But I also actually think Biophilia is a brilliant example of Björk balancing the experimental side ("Dark Matter," "Hollow") with a more accessible melodic approach ("Crystalline," "Cosmogony," "Virus"). Biophilia seems to have more detractors than Medulla does, but I love both.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I think this is the perfect Björk album. Some of her strongest songwriting and most memorable melodies ever are here (Who Is It, Oceania, Pleasure is All Mine, Triumph of Our Heart), the production is fantastic and the collaborations are just dreamy (Robert Wyatt! Rahzel!). I love how personal and intimate and Icelandic and Björkish it is, and how it feels like a summation of all her work prior. I also love how it balances both experimentalism and accessibility - Who Is It and Ancestors on the same album? - and cohesion and variety - it's not scattershot like Debut or homogenic like Homogenic, there are a ton of different genres and structures and forms being played with but all is united under the distinctive a cappella umbrella.

It's the only Björk album where I don't skip any tracks.
    I agree 100%. To me, Medúlla is the definitive highlight of Björk's 21st century output, and one of the best albums of her career overall. As you said, it's quite musically adventurous despite its strict concept. It manages to merge some of the strongest melodies she's ever put to a record with more atmospheric and evocative pieces. It's a pleasure to listen to.

Medúlla still continues to blow my mind. Every song stands on its own with the ability to connect with one another to create a set so dreamy and mysterious. I gained a greater appreciation for this album after watching the making-of documentary and seeing how the songs were constructed. Fascinating stuff.

I recognize the album's brilliance, but I still find most of it hard to listen to. It's just not something that I enjoy, and I'm okay with that.