Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Medulla

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    I agree with your assessment; I think the reviews and press surrounding Medulla seemed to make it out to be more avant-garde than it is a lot of the time - some of her most accessible pop melodies can be found on it, imo. But I also actually think Biophilia is a brilliant example of Björk balancing the experimental side ("Dark Matter," "Hollow") with a more accessible melodic approach ("Crystalline," "Cosmogony," "Virus"). Biophilia seems to have more detractors than Medulla does, but I love both.

Totally agreed. Some of both albums is quite challenging, but they're both very well rounded albums, and probably my two favourite Björk albums at this stage.

There are some completely dance-pop songs on Medúlla, and slightly less straight forward ones on Biophilia, and each album is an exploration of timbre and sees Björk challenging herself in how she writes songs.

Stellar work, for sure.

I adore this album, Volta and Medúlla have just consumed my soul lately. The Piano/Vocal version of Ancestors is just beautiful.
    I normally split the album in two -

The Songs:

Pleasure Is All Mine
    Where Is The Line
    Vökuró
    Who Is It
    Submarine
    Desired Constellation
    Oceania
    Sonnets/Unrealities XI
    Ancestors
    Mouth's Cradle
    Triumph Of The Heart

The Interludes:

Show Me Forgiveness
    Öll Birtan
    Miðvikudags
    Komið

I have grown to love this so much.

Does anyone know where I can get the Medulla remixes? I have a few, but would love to have them all, as they were all very unique and different from the album versions. I looked on iTunes but don't see anything on there. Anywhere else?
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

You can get the CD singles on Amazon's marketprice or eBay for reasonably cheap prices. I've done that before many times to collect past Bjork remixes and B-sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreen View Post
    I adore this album, Volta and Medúlla have just consumed my soul lately. The Piano/Vocal version of Ancestors is just beautiful.
    I normally split the album in two -

The Songs:

Pleasure Is All Mine
    Where Is The Line
    Vökuró
    Who Is It
    Submarine
    Desired Constellation
    Oceania
    Sonnets/Unrealities XI
    Ancestors
    Mouth's Cradle
    Triumph Of The Heart

The Interludes:

Show Me Forgiveness
    Öll Birtan
    Miðvikudags
    Komið

I have grown to love this so much.
    Loving Volta as well lately. Very underrated!

Quote Originally Posted by Baltic View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get the Medulla remixes? I have a few, but would love to have them all, as they were all very unique and different from the album versions. I looked on iTunes but don't see anything on there. Anywhere else?
    You might have to buy the CD & DVD singles. I bought a couple of them used and they were pretty cheap. Or you could just download illegally. :P

Here's what I have:

Oceania (Olympic Version) - compilation track
    Oceania (ft. Kelis)
    Oceania (Piano & Vocal)
    Who Is It (Radio Edit)
    Who Is It (Bell Choir Mix)
    Who Is It (Dattasette Mix)
    Who Is It (Fruit Machine Mix)
    Who Is It (Choir Mix)
    Who Is It (Shooting Stars & Asteroids Mix)
    Who Is It (Vitalic Mix)
    Triumph of a Heart (Radio Edit)
    Triumph of a Heart (Audition Mix)
    Where is the Line (Matmos Rubberband Mix)
    Where is the Line (Soft Pink Truth Glow Stick Museum Mix)
    Where is the Line (Fantomas Mix)
    Vokuro (VV Mix)
    Desired Constellation (Choir Mix)
    Desired Constellation (Ben Frost's School Of Emotional Engineering Mix)
    Mouth's Cradle (Cortejo Affro Ile Aiye Mix)
    Mouth's Cradle Mouth (Recomposed by Ensemble)

Then there's live versions from the Volta tour, some radio sessions, and that Atta Radir show which I'd kill to have in high quality.

The DVD audio tracks, I've noticed, are not mastered... or something. It's not just a bad rip, I have the Who Is It DVD and they're really like that.

You are what you wear. Corey Haim's Avatar
    i have been quite obsessed with this album recently...in fact, i would say that for the first time i am really appreciating every single track. only took 9 years!
    It basically comes down to that word: love. I guess that's what it's all about.

This actually shaped up to be my favorite Björk record after Post.It was a hard journey but a rewarding one.Desired Constellation,Vokuro,Pleasure is all Mine and Who Is It are among my favorites.
    the draught was the very worst

WHY did it take me 10 years to love this album? Honestly, WHY?!?!? I got it for Xmas back in 2005 and listened to it a few times, then put it away. I was very disappointed as I'd been in love with all her other albums. (Especially Post, Homogenic, and Vespertine) It was too harsh, raw, stark. I don't know. I just don't think I was ready for it. Maybe I needed to spend some time with Kate Bush's early music first.

These past 2 weeks it's been playing non stop in my car and I'm just floored by it. Mother Oceania & Where Is the Line are my very favorites but I also adore Submarine, Sonnets, and Triumph of a Heart as well. I just...HOW did I not love it all that time ago? I even posted a thread on @forums back in the day about my disappointment. Even then I blamed myself for not getting it rather than thinking it was Bjork's fault.

The one song I absolutely CANNOT get into is Ancestors. I just can't. It makes me feel uncomfortable. I guess it's supposed to, though.

Gah! I forgot about Who Is It!! I adore that one, as well. It's such a stellar album.

Quote Originally Posted by madworld View Post
    I was very disappointed as I'd been in love with all her other albums. (Especially Post, Homogenic, and Vespertine)
    That's how I felt at the time too and pretty much still that way. It didn't have that instant likability that her other albums had.

Damion, you definitely shouldn't give up on it. I really never imagined loving it the way I do now!