Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Biophilia

dvd? why do you think so?

well, we know that the mif concerts were recorded...and this thunderbolt video is from that. Also, i swear there was a lot of talk before the release about bjork releasing a documentary/ live dvd like she did with medulla.

Found this in the 4um but cant find a source, but pretty sure its going to happen at some point:

a 90-minute documentary on the biophilia project is currently being filmed by pulse films. this exploration of björk’s creative process as she puts together the different elements of the project will show her at work in the rehearsals for the live show and in the studio working on the album, along with observational footage, interviews, and demonstrations. the climax of the film will be the unveiling of her project at the manchester international festival. the documentary will be broadcast later in the biophilia campaign

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I would love a Biophilia concert DVD as that gig was epic nerdy win.

Still loving this record. I think it's in my top three favourites of her albums at the moment. We'll see how it develops over a longer time, but I'm loving the melodies on this record quite a lot.

I've been spending some more time with Biophilia and it's slowly but surely growing on me. I still adore "Hollow" and "Sacrifice" more than all of the other tracks. And today I discovered that I really love the lyrics to "Solstice"!
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

Here's a great talk from the Science Gallery last month from Scott Snibbe, who was one of the main app designers, showcasing the apps, and explaining the ideas behind it all:

I'm listening to one of the MIF shows right now and i'm really liking how awesome Graduale Nobili sound, especially on Hidden Place...man I wish they'd been with her in 2001.

I was at Manchester and recognised on first listen there that the Biophilia songs were a huge treat. Easily one of her very best albums for me and it looks like she's near-perfected the live arrangements and musicians as well. One tiny complaint- the Manual Edition shouldn't have been so limited that only few people even knew about it. Given that her record deals and income from touring look to be not so lucrative these days, it seems to me that B is looking at licensing her music, corporate sponsorship or maximising sales revenue from merchandise/special editions in order to raise capital for future projects....what's the lesser of three evils?

^Ya well its seems that Biophilia is a hard project to make money on, who know how much the apps may have sold in revenue, I still wish she could have promoted the actual album more.

^ Totally. It just riles me that fans or non-fans who hadn't been visiting B's site missed out on a chance at the Manual- we can guess at the demand from the $600+ fetched on eBay for single copies = Bjork, fans, Biophilia miss out, resellers prosper. Same with CD singles, Crystalline etc blahblah. Seems like B needs a new Financial Advisor.

Quote Originally Posted by dAmION View Post
    I still wish she could have promoted the actual album more.
    That's the thing - you're busy separating it down into individual components, when Björk sees the whole thing as one big project. It's not an album. It's not a live show. It's not an exercise in new forms of music education. It's not a suite of interactive music apps.

It is all of those things. That is what Biophilia is - it's not an album, it's something much bigger than that. And she's promoted the hell out of this giant, expansive, groundbreaking project.

If Björk fans didn't get to buy a manual, then maybe they didn't want one, or just weren't big enough fans to be up to date on her work and checking out her site when the project started being talked about at the start of the year.

She's been promoting this entire project pretty much all year and pretty consistently.

And Björk doesn't miss out when people re-sell copies of the Manual edition or whatever - she's already sold that copy and made her money on it. The fact that it resells at such a price is because of how limited it was. If it wasn't such a limited edition, she wouldn't have been able to charge that much in the first place.

And non-fans abaddog? Why should they be rewarded with access to a special edition over people who are fans and have been interested and engaged with this ongoing project? I don't understand your logic at all.

@ebby - I can see definitely some of what your saying, But I think there were more promotional channels she could have used (JOOLS HOLLAND JOOLS HOLLAND JOOLS HOLLAND) just to let more of the RECORD BUYING public have some more awareness of what she is doing. I mean teenage girls aren't going to be bumpin' 'Hollow' down the 405 anytime soon, but I would have liked to see more TV promo. If the whole project was promoted equally, then why did so many of the interviews start with, worlds first "App" album? I mean its natural that the novelty of the electronic platform was given more weight but in the month running up to the album release she just seemed to go into hiding other than Bestival. I think the leak and the pushed back release date didn't help things either, mind you.

She even mentioned herself in an interview that every journalist will approach an article from the angle that seems most interesting, and which is more interesting to read about? Another album release from Björk? or Björk attempts to redefine music releasing by creating an "App album"? I think we all know which route most journalists went down when putting together their articles about Björk. She didn't write any of those articles, nor did she ask any of the questions she was answering.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    And Björk doesn't miss out when people re-sell copies of the Manual edition or whatever - she's already sold that copy and made her money on it. The fact that it resells at such a price is because of how limited it was. If it wasn't such a limited edition, she wouldn't have been able to charge that much in the first place.

And non-fans abaddog? Why should they be rewarded with access to a special edition over people who are fans and have been interested and engaged with this ongoing project? I don't understand your logic at all.
    I suppose my point is that, when people will spend so much on eBay editions, there's clearly a market over and above those who got in and nabbed a copy from Bjork.com. By 'fans' I meant to distinguish from 'those who enjoy Bjork's music but don't hang on release dates or visit her website frequently'. Or even those people who come to Bjork for first time through Biophilia. It seems to me that the 'made-to-order' approach and this utter disregard for possibility of new fans = pretty nearsighted marketing and lack of business faith in project. The idea of fans being 'rewarded' with something they have actually paid for? Don't understand that, Ebby

Last time I checked, artists need food and winter coats like the rest of us, so money is the issue no matter how artful any project. Going back to an earlier point, I'd rather B profit from a sound business strategy than have recourse to auctioning her back catalogue off for advertising use, charging daft ticket prices....or simply scaling down her future touring and promotion to an extent that only 'the Chosen' get a chance to see/hear her.

^Before the recent interview where she talked about possibly "selling a house" to finance a future project, I had assumed that she had quite a few million in the bank at least, maybe she was joking but I thought she was tapping a much greater financial reservoir for each album, rather than just using the funds from one to make the next. At any rate, it seems making a buck isn't Bjork's objective with Biophilia although she could have just shifted focus, imo to give certain revenue streams more exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by abaddog View Post
    I suppose my point is that, when people will spend so much on eBay editions, there's clearly a market over and above those who got in and nabbed a copy from Bjork.com. By 'fans' I meant to distinguish from 'those who enjoy Bjork's music but don't hang on release dates or visit her website frequently'. Or even those people who come to Bjork for first time through Biophilia. It seems to me that the 'made-to-order' approach and this utter disregard for possibility of new fans = pretty nearsighted marketing and lack of business faith in project. The idea of fans being 'rewarded' with something they have actually paid for? Don't understand that, Ebby

Last time I checked, artists need food and winter coats like the rest of us, so money is the issue no matter how artful any project. Going back to an earlier point, I'd rather B profit from a sound business strategy than have recourse to auctioning her back catalogue off for advertising use, charging daft ticket prices....or simply scaling down her future touring and promotion to an extent that only 'the Chosen' get a chance to see/hear her.
    It's not about "the chosen". She announced it on her site and there was already a lot of buzz about the upcoming gigs. Those who were interested bought the stuff she had on sale. Those who became interested later had the opportunity to get the app suite or the record. I don't see the problem with how she has promoted this project when she's managed to have journalists, fans and non-fans talking about it for the best part of a year.

The other versions - regular and special editions, and the app suite - are still available for anyone to buy. The manual and the crazy-price edition was obviously intended for her hardcore fans who are the ones who do hang on to release dates and the like. I don't see a problem there.

Did you miss out? Is this why you're worrying this point of yours to the bone? I'm sorry if you did - I didn't get any of the special editions as I couldn't afford them. That's all well and good. I still have the music part of project to enjoy, and I got to the live gig, and it's not as if the live disc was all that difficult to find online.