Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Biophilia

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Did you miss out? Is this why you're worrying this point of yours to the bone? I'm sorry if you did - I didn't get any of the special editions as I couldn't afford them. That's all well and good. I still have the music part of project to enjoy, and I got to the live gig, and it's not as if the live disc was all that difficult to find online.
    Sure, I downloaded live disc, so did you, so did countless others and presumably that's still not a potential revenue loss for B, right? I'm making more than one point and I can't make them any clearer so probably best to agree to disagree before the snark escalates.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    Virus has become one of my favorite Björk songs.

Something about "Virus" sounds too, artificially sweet, to me..

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BettahDevil View Post
    Virus has become one of my favorite Björk songs.
    Virus and Moon have crept in and get stuck in my head during the day.

I still think Cosmogony has the most stately, gorgeous melody, and I love that she was asking fans to contribute a verse and the one she liked the most she was going to use in a live gig.

Now that I have had some time to truly digest Biophilia, I have to admit that I am actually somewhat surprised by just how KIND a lot of the reviews have been. Of course, let's not set a negative tone here: I absolutely love Biophilia, and it is far and away my favorite album of 2011 after Bon Iver's Bon Iver. But I feel like it was the kind of music that was made for me to love in that it is slower, thoughtful, dark in spots, full of reflection and introspection. I don't need any bombastic "jams" on an album to fall utterly in love with it. Yet looking at Biophilia from an objective eye, I am surprised just how many reviewers have been very positive. My good friend Nathan, who loves Bjork's older material but also leans more toward pop music in his preferences, finds Biophilia to be impenetrable and more of a performance art piece, and whenever an everyday listener fails to identify an album as actually being music, then skrrrrrt, Houston, there might be a problem. I look at fluff publications like Entertainment Weekly and see that they gave the album an A, and it kind of blows my mind, though I am of course thrilled for Bjork! That her wailing over the instrumentation of the plinkety plinkety plink of her Look-what-I-made-Ma! abdomen zithers touched the same reviewer who had to review Teenage Dream really interests me. Still, I do notice a disconnect between reviewers and the people in my life. I don't really have any friends who love Biophilia to any degree. Someone I know who isn't familiar with Bjork other than her staples described the album as Bjork's take on Appalachian folk songs, and I can kind of see it. It's like Alan Lomax went scouring for musicians and instead of finding Muddy Waters, he found a dark-haired forest nymph gyrating on a saw harp and singing 'bout crystals.

I'm starting to come around to Biophilia, ironically after having revisited a good majority of her back catalogue for the first time in years (seeing as I think this project is a pretty big departure). I still think it's fairly inaccessible, but it's such a compelling record, especially instrumentally. There are so many interesting things going on and I find myself warming up to a lot of songs. Even Crystalline, which remains high and away my least favorite track on the record, is growing on me. Thunderbolt, Dark Matter, Mutual Core, and Virus though. Oh man. They're so good.

haha and my wish has been granted!! if only it could have happenned before the album release!

http://www.bjorkspain.net/2011/11/11...jools-holland/

yay!!! i can't wait!!!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Great news!

Biophilia's Iceland residency has now finished, but they incorporated a couple more songs into the set in the last week - "Who Is It" and "Venus As A Boy."

Also, here's "Vertebrae By Vertebrae" from October 22

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I love how she's managing to promote this record for such a long time. I feel like she's been promoting it for 9 months at this stage, and there's still more coming.

Definitely more successful than a blanket slew of articles and tv shows for a big first week sale, then a trail off while you tour and hope the tour makes the sales pick up in each city you play in.

This is such a better campaign - there's always something new being added into the mix whether a new city residency, a lyrics competition, music videos, limited edition album presales, app album articles, innovator awards, festivals, guest editing Dazed magazine, and now bringing a sample of the live show to tv.

Talk about a consistent, and persistent, promotional campaign. I'm loving it. I don't feel like I'm being overwhelmed with articles and interviews all saying the same thing at the same time and asking the same questions and getting the same answers. This is much more interesting.

My vinyl copy arrived today, at last! The packaging is really beautiful. The sticker says it comes with a free mp3 download, but whatever it is that allows that didn't come with the two discs. =P

UPDATE: Nevermind, I found the coupon. lol
    Last edited by FreshMownGrass; 11-11-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Here's a great talk from the Science Gallery last month from Scott Snibbe, who was one of the main app designers, showcasing the apps, and explaining the ideas behind it all:

this was SO great to watch, thank you!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Listened to Biophilia today with fresh ears after a break of about three weeks, and I continue to think it's brilliant and up there with her best. Some nice things going on in the mix too that I heard with headphones.

I finally got around to getting a copy of the Manual Edition, but have yet to listen to the live portion. I look forward to hearing Thunderbolt Live!

http://bjork.com/#/ask

Some new questions and answers are up on bjork.com! The one I thought was interesting...someone asked if she'd release a b-sides album (quentcomp, perhaps? ) and she said she'd be afraid of being accused of "milking it."
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.