Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you seeing? What have you seen? (Theater Edition)

What are you seeing? What have you seen? (Theater Edition)

So Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch are replacing Catherine and Angela in A Little Night Music in July. Anybody going? I'd love to see the show again with the new lineup, though I did think Catherine and Angela were spectacular.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar

Thumbs up

Elaine Stritch is fantastic, I've never seen her live but the ...At Liberty DVD is a masterclass in how to do a one-person-show.

Me and B are driving up to Salford this evening to see fantastic comedy double act Maggie Fox & Sue Riding's "best of" show of their 20 odd years doing comedy shows as Lip Service Theatre.

Their "Withering Looks" and "Move Over Moriarty" are two of the funniest parodies I've ever seen and am looking forward to seeing other bits from their back catalogue, from before I found out about them.

Total TV-fail that they have only graced the small screen in occasional bit part work so far.

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    I'm thinking about making a trip to NYC this fall to see Peters/Stritch in A Little Night Music and the limited run of Pee Wee's Playhouse

-Jacob.

Recently I saw the "tour" edition of Wicked in Dallas, TX. It was awesome! I will never look at The Wizard of Oz in the same way.

Why couldn't they have been on the cast album? Well, I don't mind Legendary Angela but CZJ is just atrocious.

I saw "Thank You For Being A Friend" last night. It's a drag parody of "The Golden Girls", wherein Lance Bass moves in next door and his all-male sex parties keep the girls up. They challenge each other to a talent show-down. Something ensues.

The positive:
    1. The guy playing Dorothea was very good.
    2. Some of the costumes were accurate/funny.

. . .

3. They remembered to set it in Miami.

I saw "Whistle Down the Wind" recently, it was ok but not fantastic. The guy playing The Man was hot though

Foo
    xx

I see that "Next Fall" is closing in a few weeks. Anyone else see it?

I very much enjoyed the show. I don't feel like it covered any new ground, but it covered the ground in an amusing way. Well designed, well directed, and a group of good, mostly unknown actors.

It's about a gay couple - one is religious and one is an athiest - and the ups and downs of that situation.

I saw the 25th anniversary revival of "Nunsense" at the Cherry Lane Theater over the weekend. It was good. (Not great though. It lacked energy or something.)

The Sister Mary Amnesia was outstanding. I couldn't stop watching her.

Unfortunately the Sister Mary Hubert didn't have a powerful voice and her "Holier Than Thou" number didn't rock like it could have/should have.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathan View Post
    I see that "Next Fall" is closing in a few weeks. Anyone else see it?

I very much enjoyed the show. I don't feel like it covered any new ground, but it covered the ground in an amusing way. Well designed, well directed, and a group of good, mostly unknown actors.

It's about a gay couple - one is religious and one is an athiest - and the ups and downs of that situation.
    I fell in love with this show. I saw it a couple weeks before they announced its closing. Such a great cast.

I just got back from a performance of Tommy done in an old carousel house on the beach in Asbury Park. Very talented cast. Loved it. They really did a lot and got creative with the lack of space.

This is a pic of the carousel house:

Same theatre company did a production of HAIR in the round there last year, which was equally fantastic.

I got to "The Addams Family" last night. It didn't do too well with the reviewers or the Tony committee. I don't know too many people who saw it. With that in mind, I went in with moderate expectations. Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed the show. A lot.

I thought that the performances were really funny. (I'm glad I got to see the "names".) Yes, some of them didn't have a whole lot to do, but what they had was fun.

The staging/scenery/costumes/puppetry and all that were very well done. Top notch, I think.

The songs were fun. Nothing mind-blowing, but they moved the story forward, showcased the performers and had some laughs.

Overall, I thought it was a fun experience. I will say though, that I probably wouldn't see it again, and in that sense, it's not a "great" show to me. But, it was good and I enjoyed watching it.

I saw "Promises, Promises" last night. I really enjoyed it. I loved the 60's vibe (everything looked great), the songs were fun and the cast was very good. Ms. Chenoweth was out, grrrr, but her understudy, from where I was sitting, could have been her. She did a great impression. Sean Hayes and Katie Finneran were both great. SO funny, the both of them. It got a little darker than I expected, too. Good show.

I saw "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson" last night. It was a whole lot of fun. It's a tongue-in-cheek rock musical about the life of the 7th president. It started as a "Les Freres Corbusier" production some time ago and I have really enjoyed their works ("Boozy: The Life, Death, and Subsequent Vilification of Le Corbusier, and, More Importantly, Robert Moses" being one of my all time favorite shows). Really worth a look if you get the chance. The usually fancy and dignified theater as you walk in is smokey and filled with holiday lights, presidental portraits and a dead horse hanging upside down above the audience. The show is hilarous. The songs are fun and emo. A good show overall.

I also got to see "Brief Encounter" and "Mrs. Warren's Profession" in the last few weeks, both of which were good.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    ^
    ooh, i was just about ready to get tickets to that today! glad you liked it. i'm excited to see it.

seen the last 5 productions at the old vic in london - and I would only really mention "Design for Living" as worth the outing - saw "Birdsong" at the Comedy Theatre the other day - Ben Barnes gave a very nice performance but unfortunately I think Sebastian Faulks made a mistake when he said yes to the stage-adaptation - cause it just didn't work.