Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you seeing? What have you seen? (Theater Edition)

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Just saw Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson last night. Fucking hilarious. I don't think I laughed that hard in awhile. I was actually a little (pleasantly) surprised at how vulgar the show was. I had several old people around me get up and leave in disgust. The whole show was hysterical but the storyteller character and John Quincy Adams really cracked me up. I highly recommend this show. I was also surprised how they threw in a bunch of really current political references - like about Christine O'Donnell. The show has been getting really great reviews. I hope it stays for awhile. I'd like to see it again.

populism, yea yea...

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    I haven't been to the theatre for ages, must do something about that. The last thing I saw was Waiting For Godot with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    The whole show was hysterical but the storyteller character and John Quincy Adams really cracked me up.
    John Quincy Adams was hilarious! Glad you liked the show. (And I love Kristine Nielsen always.)

I got to see "La Bete" this week. The show was great. It was a verse play (from the 1970's, but takes place in the 1600's) about high art vs popular art. Joanna Lumley plays a princess who orders her court theater troupe, lead by David Hyde Pierce, to take in a common street performer, Mark Rylance, against their will. Conflict and hilarity ensues.

Great performances all around (and a thrill to see Patsy in person!) and a cool set. VERY wordy, though it's performed well and the verse (which is sometimes a distraction to me) worked well.

Just saw Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson last night. Fucking hilarious. I don't think I laughed that hard in awhile. I was actually a little (pleasantly) surprised at how vulgar the show was. I had several old people around me get up and leave in disgust. The whole show was hysterical but the storyteller character and John Quincy Adams really cracked me up. I highly recommend this show. I was also surprised how they threw in a bunch of really current political references - like about Christine O'Donnell. The show has been getting really great reviews. I hope it stays for awhile. I'd like to see it again.

populism, yea yea...
    A friend of mine is an understudy in that show! I really need to get tickets soon.

I saw a preview of "Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown" last night. I was excited because it's a fun movie and the cast looks great - De'Adre Aziza, Laura Benanti, Danny Burstein, Patti LuPone, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Mary Beth Peil and Sherie Rene Scott.

Laura Benanti was hilarious as Candela and had what was probably the best number. The scenic design was a lot of fun - very 80's with a lot of moving projections.

But it didn't all come together, unfortunately. It was too slow for a farcical show. The physical scenery took too long to move. It seemed too busy with so much moving around. A lot of the songs were forgettable. The performances were good, but the pace didn't let it build to anything. It wasn't terrible, but I don't see the critics embracing it. I don't imagine it will make it too far into the new year.

"Driving Miss Daisy" Vanessa Redgrave. James Earl Jones. Perfection.

Very funny and very touching. They were both great. This was my first time seeing James Earl Jones and he was absolutely amazing. Really top notch.

I bought tickets to see Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson in December! I'm seeing it the day after Peaches Christ Superstar, so it'll be a nice, rock-theatery weekend.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

I saw the first part of "Angels In America" yesterday. (Off-broadway at Signature.) Excellent production. I had never seen Zachery Quinto in anything before. He and the rest of the cast were really top-notch. It had a great set and slick, smooth staging. Funny and heartbreaking. Everything worked. An all-around solid production. Can't wait to see part two tomorrow!

*ETA* Saw part two last night. Wow. An amazing 7 hours (!) of show. Great, great, great.

Also saw "A Free Man of Color" the other day. A big, sprawling tale of 1800's New Orleans centered on one free man of color (Jeffrey Wright). Some great performances. A little chaotic at times, but funny and enjoyable. (I don't know if it was all the "sex" or the "language" but a couple dozen older folks left at intermission. I don't think a show can last long without the older crowd.)

Pee-wee! I saw "The Pee-wee Herman Show" last night! It was a blast. 90-minutes of hilarity. A lot for the nostalgia of it - the original Miss Yvonne, Jambi and Mailman Mike are still with the show.

And then...

Quote Originally Posted by Lathan View Post
    Pee-wee! I saw "The Pee-wee Herman Show" last night! It was a blast. 90-minutes of hilarity. A lot for the nostalgia of it - the original Miss Yvonne, Jambi and Mailman Mike are still with the show.
    That sounds like good fun, I miss those characters!

Pee-Wee was on the Wendy Williams show a few weeks back, the two of them in such close proximity was almost too much, particularly during the staring contest! He really fed off of the studio audiences positive reaction (it was clear he seemed slightly relieved and humbled to be well received). I didn't recall Pee-Wee being quite so full of energy and zest even back in the day, it made me smile.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I just got tickets for this next Saturday. Tickets were cheap and it seems like it could be a cool idea:

Also I'm really sad about Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson closing. =(

Quote Originally Posted by Lathan View Post
    I saw the first part of "Angels In America" yesterday. (Off-broadway at Signature.) Excellent production. I had never seen Zachery Quinto in anything before. He and the rest of the cast were really top-notch. It had a great set and slick, smooth staging. Funny and heartbreaking. Everything worked. An all-around solid production. Can't wait to see part two tomorrow!

*ETA* Saw part two last night. Wow. An amazing 7 hours (!) of show. Great, great, great.
    I saw Part II only. I enjoyed the production for the most part, however, I thought Zoe Kazan was terribly terribly miscast as Harper and it was distracting for me.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    The touring production of Alan Bennett's The Habit of Art

Really fascinating, I knew embarrasingly little about WH Auden or Benjamin Britten, and the play (within a play, the staging of which provides some good comedy moments) isn't really setting out to teach their biographies but to look at shifting attitudes to sexuality and the acceptability of its fringes, via Auden's use of rent boys, and Britten's (apparently unacted upon) attraction to young boys.

Bennett's status as a "national treasure" means he gets hugely taken for granted.

[boost]

Woot woot new Stratford Shakespeares presale alert!! [scrambles for front row - "the spitting zone" ]

Patrick Stewart will make a great Shylock but I'm even more excited to see Jonathan Slinger doing MacBeth, he was fantastic throughout the Histories season (in an incredibly strong troupe doing all the plays) a while back. I'd honestly call him the best actor on the British stage today. TV work has been limited to guest roles in detective dramas etc but there's no way I can imagine him not rising to national fame soon.

Macbeth

Jonathan Slinger returns to the RSC following his acclaimed performances as Richard II and Richard III as part of the award winning Histories Ensemble.
    Jonathan will be playing the title role in RSC Artistic Director Michael Boyd's new production of Macbeth - which will also be the first new production on the Royal Shakespeare Theatre stage.

The Merchant of Venice

Patrick Stewart will play Shylock in Rupert Goold's new production of The Merchant of Venice in the Royal Shakespeare Theatre.
    Patrick last appeared with the RSC in 2008's sell out production of Hamlet alongside David Tennant and has also previously worked with director Rupert Goold in Chichester Festival Theatre's critically acclaimed production of Macbeth, which was recently screened on BBC4 and the RSC's 2006 production of The Tempest.

P.s.

I just got tickets for this next Saturday.
    How did it go?