Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you seeing? What have you seen? (Theater Edition)

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Well you know it is a bad sign when you walk up to the box office to pick up your ticket and you say, "Is this will call pickup?" and they say "Are you Chris?"

Yeah, so it was basically my husband and I and 3 other people in the audience. There were more people on stage than in the audience. Awkward!

The production itself was okay. It was interesting to see it done by an all male cast. I was a little annoyed at the false advertising: "Music by Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, Bjork..." Which basically meant Peter Gabriel's cover of "Heroes" used in the play and a Bjork song. The dancing was a little odd.

But in the end I was glad I saw it. It was an interesting experience. The guy who played Cleopatra was fabulous.

I am going to see La Cage Aux Folles on Sunday! I also am getting tickets to see Play Dead off broadway, which I've heard wonderful things about.

Anybody planning to see Book of Mormon? I'm curious about it.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

I haven't really been posting on these forums in a while but have seen some cool things these last few months (Pee Wee!). I had to post about this one, though:

I have a friend who works in theater and was able to get us in to see Spiderman: Turn off the Dark for free yesterday. Generally speaking, I like to see the bright spots in things and not absolutely trash something, but ...

This is a total and complete DOG. Holy shit, what a mess! It was sold out and it seemed like some people enjoyed it, but it was confusing, sloppy, had some dodgy singing, lousy songs, and didn't provide the incredible spectacle to justify the hype (or all the accidents they've been having). They've extended previews numerous times because, frankly, they must know they have a turkey. They try to weave in Greek myth and a Greek chorus of nerdy teens commenting on the action, to disastrous effect. The reviews on this are going to be savage.

To give you an idea: there's a song about a Greek goddess with a spider body trying on high heels before descending to Earth (or something?), and then, when someone asks her where she comes from, she makes a joke about "coming from trying out eight pairs of shoes in the astral plane." No, I am not making this up. Yes, it is that bad.

What surprised me was how poorly and confusingly plotted it was, and how even some of the costumes looked like something you would see at a promotional event at a toy store. This is Julie Taymor, and they spent a bazillion dollars on it ... that's pretty inexcusable. The Green Goblin is one of the villains and has a series of corny jokes that no one in the audience laughed at. In one scene, he sings a brief, lounge-style comedy number. Again, I am not making this up.

My friend compared it to the sort of show you would see running in an amusement park, only worse. I wouldn't go that far, but it really is pretty wretched. The bright spots: the sets are amazing, there is some cool aerial stuff, and of course the army of guys they have working as Spiderman have amazing bodies. But if any of you have seen Cirque du Soleil live or even just clips on TV, you've seen this sort of thing before, only a million times better. The novel aspect of this, I guess, is that you get to see Spiderman swinging around a theater in Broadway. To anyone that would be paying, that is certainly not worth $100 a ticket (for the cheaper seats, I think).

Saw La Cage Aux Folles yesterday. It was wonderful. I have to say I was really really impressed with Kelsey Grammer. I thought I was going to have some issue with him playing the lead and thinking of Fraiser! He was truly wonderful. And his counterpart was equally talented. I was also really happy at how they played up their genuine love for each other. Great stuff.

I got tickets to see "Arcadia"! So excited!

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    To give you an idea: there's a song about a Greek goddess with a spider body trying on high heels before descending to Earth (or something?), and then, when someone asks her where she comes from, she makes a joke about "coming from trying out eight pairs of shoes in the astral plane."
    Suddenly the letters L I G H T P R I N C E S S are flashing in red neon at the front of my brain, for some reason.

Must be my sin-esthasia.

Finally saw La bohme at the Met this past week. It's simply perfect and the sets and performers are superb.

Saw The Importance of Being Earnest. Brian Bedford is exquisite as Lady Bracknell. He completely vanishes into the role. To think that this man was the voice of one of my major childhood crushes - Disney's Robin Hood.

I'm looking forward to April. I'm seeing Anything Goes with Sutton Foster and Joel Grey and the New York Philharmonic concert production of Company with NPH and LuPone.

^
    I saw a production of La Boheme years ago at the Met and it was so wonderful too I think I want to go see another opera sometime soon.

I'm going to see Play Dead today:

Also just got tickets to see Book of Mormon in April and I plan on getting tickets to see the Off Broadway version of RENT in August.

Still looking for any news on the potential Broadway Hedwig production and the possible revivals of Streetcar and Sweet Bird of Youth.

Just got back from Play Dead. OMG. If you like creepy/scary this is the show for you! I don't really want to give anything away, and it is a little hard to explain. Part ghost story, part magic show. It was so good. I am embarrassed to say that I was clutching my husband's arm the entire play. I can't believe how scared I got! Such a great scary time. Todd Robbins does a fantastic job. He makes an excellent ghost storyteller. Probably not for the faint of heart. Go see it.

Good to hear! I was wondering about that one. I feel like "scary" is so hard to do in theater and it's nice to see when it does happen.

I wanna see Play Dead so bad! Fingers crossed I get a chance to!
    When they're calling
    From the edge

Saw Arcadia last night. Very good, all around except that I couldn't hear Septimus. (Poor projection and enunciation.) I don't know if it was just today, or if that's his thing.

(I'm recovering from the flu or something, or I'd be more enthusiastic, I'm sure. I think I'd like to see it again when I'm in a more receptive state.)

Just picked up tickets for:

about

^ Shirley Manson recorded a song from the show to benefit Amnesty International - it's available on iTunes.

Thanks Lathan. I actually picked it up the other day. Sure is easier buying music when the proceeds go to Amnesty.