Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: What are you seeing? What have you seen? (Theater Edition)

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    It looks like I got a reasonably priced ticket for the London run of Hamilton in December without actually having to get off my arse and do anything because someone happened to have a spare.

I also got myself a two-show day ticket for the National's Angels in America in May, with Andrew Garfield, Nathan Lane and Denise Gough (who isn't that famous yet but trust me is pretty much the most ferocious stage actress and will be an amazing Harper). This play means so much to me and I'm already anticipating what it will be like. It's being broadcast in cinemas too and I may go again and see it there.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    AHHHH I am so jeaaalous! Hamilton AND Angels! What a treat!

Do the the NT Live cinema showings tend to be brought to the States as well? I'd totally go see Angels In America at the movie theater.

Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    Denise Gough (who isn't that famous yet but trust me is pretty much the most ferocious stage actress and will be an amazing Harper)..
    She voices Yennifer in the Witcher vidjae gaem series, and one of the best voiced characters in the franchise. (The lead is awful, which ruins everything.)

Sorry I am nerdy.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    AHHHH I am so jeaaalous! Hamilton AND Angels! What a treat!
    I know right? Pretty much everyone I know has this week been talking about getting tickets for either one or both of these shows, which shows you the sort of bubble I live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    Do the the NT Live cinema showings tend to be brought to the States as well? I'd totally go see Angels In America at the movie theater.
    Yes they do! I don't think there's usually that many screenings in the US and it depends on the show but I'm pretty sure they'll do something for a play like Angels. They put all the listings on here.

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    She voices Yennifer in the Witcher vidjae gaem series, and one of the best voiced characters in the franchise. (The lead is awful, which ruins everything.)

Sorry I am nerdy.

I have no idea what that is but that sounds interesting! Do not apologise for your nerdiness. She is a terrific actress. She worked solidly for years, mostly in theatre (and obviously video games, which is where the ££ are nowadays) and was just considering quitting acting because she wasn't making any money when she was cast as in the lead in People, Places and Things at the National. That had to have been one of the best stage performances I've ever seen. I'm so looking forward to seeing her in a play as good as AiA.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I'm trying to decide whether to get tickets to the immersive NYC production of Sweeney Todd or Sunday in the Park with George w/ Jake Gyllenhaal.

ETA- i just bought tickets to both. i couldn't help myself.
    Last edited by .chris; 02-07-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    I just got back from a business trip to NYC. I decided to rush some shows while I was there.

I saw Cats, which had been a guilty pleasure of mine since a kid. Unfortunately, the new production of it has none of the fun creepiness and whimsy that the older versions of the show had. It seems to have been modified and geared towards a family audience. Not great, would not recommend.

I was lucky enough to get a great rush seat to the return of Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard. I've always been on the fence about this show. The book loses all of the campiness of the film version in favor of a more direct approach at the storytelling. The production featured a 40 piece onstage orchestra, in lieu of a giant floating house. It was well worth the trade-off. Glenn Close was in fine form, and very energetic for a woman of her age. Her voice sounded much better live than the growly cast recording 20 years ago. It was delightful.

My last night in town, I got a front row seat to Sally Field/Joe Mantello The Glass Menagerie. For being a huge theatre buff and Williams fan, for some reason I've never seen a live production of this. This one was very interesting. It was staged in a huge black box with very minimal props. All of the actors were fantastic, and there were a few dramatic and surprising pieces of stagecraft in the second half of the play, which I found really enjoyable. I'm a sucker for dramatic and surprising stagecraft. There's been a lot said about the choice of casting a young woman in a wheelchair to play Laura, and the focus on her being (lovingly but awkwardly) carried around the stage, and how it relates to the story on paper. I didn't really have an opinion on it either way, but I think it was a little weird considering the text of the play and how most of the young woman's disability is meant to be in her mind as it fuels her anxiety.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the performance, and Sally Field can do no wrong in my mind.

I just got tickets to a one night only performance of Tales of the City the Musical in NY! Justin Bond will be in it as Mrs.Madrigal! Armistead Maupin himself will be in it as well. SO THRILLED FOR THIS.

my log has something to tell you NightHunter's Avatar
    I saw the Sydney National Theatre's production of The Present on Broadway featuring Cate Blanchett and an all Aussie cast. The story of the Checkov play it was based on, nearly lost to the ages, is nearly as captivating as the show itself. I had a fifth row seat. Totally spoiled. A great, great show whose source material is still relevant and accurate despite being written in the 19th century.
    when she twinkles

First look at Bette Midler in "Hello, Dolly!" on Broadway! Previews begin tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    I just got tickets to a one night only performance of Tales of the City the Musical in NY! Justin Bond will be in it as Mrs.Madrigal! Armistead Maupin himself will be in it as well. SO THRILLED FOR THIS.
    This was so much fun. I got a little teary when Armistead Maupin opened it and got a very long standing ovation.

Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    This was so much fun. I got a little teary when Armistead Maupin opened it and got a very long standing ovation.
    How was the music? It was done by Jake Shears of Scissor Sisters, correct?
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I was pleasantly surprised with music. I love the Scissor Sisters, but I wasn't sure how Jake would do musical theatre. I was really into a majority of the songs. Some of them had a fun disco/scissor sisters flavor to them and others were more standard pop/broadway. The cast had some amazing singers.

I heard a story about this on NPR just now and thought it was pretty fun-

I just saw Sunday in the Park with George with Jake Gyllenhaal. Very well done. And Jake is pretty amazing in the role. What a great voice!