Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: What are you seeing? What have you seen? (Theater Edition)

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Yeah, the one that started in London in the pie shop that transferred to NY. It was wonderful how small and intimate it was. Everything was just lit by candles. I really loved it. It was also my first time seeing a production of Sweeney Todd (I've wanted to see one for so long!).

ETA-
    I should also mention I saw a fantastic benefit reading of the Tales of the City Musical as well. Not mind-blowing stuff, but just so much fun!
    Last edited by .chris; 12-17-2017 at 01:13 PM.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    Yeah, the one that started in London in the pie shop that transferred to NY. It was wonderful how small and intimate it was. Everything was just lit by candles. I really loved it. It was also my first time seeing a production of Sweeney Todd (I've wanted to see one for so long!).
    Oh I wish I'd seen that, it sounds wonderful. How have you managed not to see a production of Sweeney until now? I'm glad you've rectified that.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I saw Hamilton on Saturday. It's obviously very good, I don't think many people (apart from certain journalists from The Daily Mail) would dispute that. It has so much energy behind it, and the plot moves on at lightening speed. I was quite disappointed that the female characters, especially Angelica Schuyler, pretty much vanished from the show after they were introduced, and I found the final image of the show a bit silly, but I think you'd be pressed not to be completely swept up in it from the start. It'll probably run for a million years and win all the awards and that's great because at least it isn't another fucking Disney Theatrical musical. I've never been in a theatre with people so excited to see a play - except maybe for Cursed Child, which as a pre-existing brand is quite different - that was almost like a rock concert. There was a girl sat behind me dressed in an 18th century gown. People really, really, like this show.

But let's talk about shows that *I* like from this year. This list will be tilted towards the things I saw most recently because they're fresher in my mind, and I don't have time to write loads about each one, but I've just looked through my 2017 diary and picked out productions that really stick out;

Twelfth Night at the Olivier Theatre, National

The Ferryman by Jez Butterworth at the Royal Court

Life of Galileo by Brecht at the Young Vic

An Octoroon by Branden Jacobs-Jenkins at the Orange Tree

Barber Shop Chronicles by Inua Ellams at the Dorfman Theatre, National

Hir by Taylor Mac at the Bush Theatre

Nassim by Nassim Soleimanpour at the Bush

Road by Jim Cartwright at the Royal Court

Follies at the Olivier Theatre, National

The March on Russia by David Storey at the Orange Tree

Albion by Mike Bartlett at the Almeida

Bad Roads by Natal'ya Vorozhbit at the Royal Court

The Suppliant Women by Aeschylus (version by David Greig) at the Young Vic

The Jungle by Joe Murphy & Joe Robertson at the Young Vic

I just got tickets to see Hamilton in NY. AHHHH!!! It has been such a long wait. I'm so excited!!!

I'm also going to see Hello Dolly and the Boys in the Band!
    Last edited by .chris; 06-11-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Ugh, I saw Shen Yun in Seattle last night, only to learn it's religious propaganda from a homophobic bunch of sky friend lovers. Apart from that, the dancing and gymnastics were pretty spectacular, but got a bit repetitive, the extremely prevalent backgrounds had a distinctly cheap feel, and the MCs speaking between each routine broke any hope of a spell. Very disappointing experience. Fuck Shen Yun.

I got a chance to see the Boys in the Band on Saturday. It was fantastic. I've got to say- I've seen Jim Parsons on stage twice now (before this in A Normal Heart) and he is such a force on stage. I'm not really a fan of the Big Bang Theory, so it has been so refreshing to see him really dig into rich roles. That said, all of the cast was pretty great. They all have their moment to shine. I was also particularly impressed by Robin de Jesus. His portrayal of Emory was heartbreaking. It took me a little while to warm up to Zachary Quinto's interpretation of his character, but I got there.

All in all, I walked away very impressed. And also happened to run into Cheyenne Jackson after the show!

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Apropos of nothing @.chris, I hate BBT. Awful, wretched show. Glad you enjoyed Boys.