Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Least Favorite Tori Concert?

these days just seem to crush me

Least Favorite Tori Concert?

so, what has been your least favorite concert you attended and why?

here are the worst ones i've seen

Chicago 2009 - i've never been more disappointed in a show. maybe because chicago shows are hyped to be great, but this one was not. on paper it looks great and she performed a lot of songs that i wanted to hear (that guy, pandora's aquarium, marys of the sea, northern lad) but she was not into the performance AT ALL . i recently listened to the boot, perhaps thinking that maybe it was just me because i remember not feeling well and was particularly annoyed that day. but nope, the boot makes the show sound even worse than my memory of the experience.

Milwaukee 2009 - when Maybe California is considered a highlight of the show, you know there's something wrong.

Milwaukee 2007 - i think i had high expectations for this show too and they came crashing down. the first few songs were great and full of energy (even though we had clyde) but it quickly went downhill. couple that lack of energy with a "tori" segment that was a generic OSW tour setlist and a ten minute long winter that was played instead of toast, i was not happy.

It'd either have to be the Atlanta show in 2003 (at Chastain) or 2005 (at Chastain). Clearly, Chastain Amphitheater just really sucks ass, and I hate when Tori performs there. The sets were fine, and her performances were just fine, but the atmosphere is just not what it should be for a Tori show. People talking and kicking around beer bottles during Doughnut song, just really ruin the experience. I did see her in 2009 (at Chastain), and the show was better than usual. Probably because I was in the very front section away from the casual listener people.

Looking back at my reviews of the shows, it would have to definitely be the 8/8/2005 Atlanta show at Chastain! It flooded that day, and when I was trying to find my seat, I stepped in a huge puddle and soaked my socks and shoes, and then I had to sit down in a wet mess.

Original Sinsuality
    Crucify
    Sugar
    Father Lucifer
    Cloud On My Tongue
    Barons Of Suburbia
    Playboy Mommy

Georgia On My Mind (Written by Stuart Gorrell)
    Drive (R.E.M. cover)<<This was the highlight of the show for me!

Cars and Guitars
    Spark
    Northern Lad
    Siren
    The Beekeeper

1st Encore
    Happy Phantom
    Your Cloud

2nd Encore
    Sweet The Sting
    Cooling

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Jessy whaaat? Milwaukee was the best out of the 5 shows I saw in 2009, and while that might be a backhanded compliment (the tour being what it was) I really sincerely feel it was a great show. The set was solid: Hotel, Juarez, CALS, LE, Virginia, Bliss, Strange, Flavor, Martha.. even her black/white outfit wasn't a complete eyesore like most of the other shows. But you're definitely entitled to your own opinion!

Cleveland 2005 would have to be my least favorite show, the only truly memorable parts being the experience of the torrential rainy day itself.

I was at that Milwaukee show, and I absolutely loved it! To each his own.

these days just seem to crush me
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Jessy whaaat? Milwaukee was the best out of the 5 shows I saw in 2009, and while that might be a backhanded compliment (the tour being what it was) I really sincerely feel it was a great show. The set was solid: Hotel, Juarez, CALS, LE, Virginia, Bliss, Strange, Flavor, Martha.. even her black/white outfit wasn't a complete eyesore like most of the other shows. But you're definitely entitled to your own opinion!
    milwaukee was a TON better than chicago, performance-wise. but i really didn't think the show was all that memorable, which it is why it's one of my least-favorites. i didn't think it was awful or anything, and i remember really loving PTDO that night.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Milwaukee 2007 was indeed disappointing and low energy, especially the neverending Winter replacing Toast as you said. But out of all the shows I've seen, the first Boston 2005 show was the absolute worst. Sweet the Sting, Cars and Guitars (the debut, oh BOY), Jamaica Inn, Pisces / China combo, Leather, Ribbons Undone. Los Angeles 2007 was also not that great. The doll sets were awesome, but the main set was blah. Not bad, just blah. A bit of an underwhelming end to what I thought was an excellent tour.

Wallingford 2005. A horror of epic proportions. I have talked about this show at length. Marci and I both have PTSD about it and refer to it as the "Wallingford Disaster". It was the only Tori show I have ever left feeling like there was not one good performance. Worst? I had been upgraded to the front row through a contest thingie, and Tori was regularly making at least brief eye contact with me, so I had to actively disguise my horror.

Regulars who were there say that something had happened to upset her and she was having a crap day. This was fairly obvious. She sang the whole set at the slowest tempo you can imagine, and her vocals were so nasal it was like she had replaced her vocal chords with a kazoo. The setlist included "Mary" and "Cars and guitars", which is just not good. She was so not into it and looked like she was having as much fun as she'd have at the dentist. Then, at the end, she played "Toast" and quite literally burst into tears. She had to look away and riff on the piano for a minute and I could see her face very clearly and she was crying. I felt really bad for her in that moment, but christ alive. I wanted to shoot myself. Horrid.

Here is an example of the horror. HORROR.

EVEN WORSE? I didn't get tix for the Jones Beach show the following night and she quite literally played my dream setlist. I am not ashamed to admit that I pretty much cried when I saw it.

Kari, that Wallingford '05 show was the first show that came to my mind when I saw this thread. It was just OFF in a bunch of weird ways.

Portland '05 and Portland '07 were also terrible shows, IMO. At the former she did Daisy Dead Petals in the encore, which was awesome. But the rest of the show was just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Also, there was some Cleveland show where it was Tash's birthday I think? Was it 2005? It was at the WORST venue, like under an overpass by a ravine or something. the setlist was dreadful. yikes.
    Last edited by uskidsknow; 11-16-2011 at 08:44 PM.
    Sound is the blood between me and you

Quote Originally Posted by uskidsknow View Post
    Kari, that Wallingford '05 show was the first show that came to my mind when I saw this thread. It was just OFF in a bunch of weird ways.
    I was just reading some of the reviews in the Dent archive and people were like "Tori never sounded better!" and "It was exciting!". The fuck it was!

'05 tour was bipolar like that. Some shows were AMAZEBALLS (San Diego, Saratoga Springs), but the ones that were on the opposite end of the spectrum were bordering on being insufferable.
    Sound is the blood between me and you

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar
    I am very glad to say, that I never attented a Tori Amos concert that I did not like.
    That said, maybe Munich 2007 is my least favorite. The setlist was ok, but the crowd was just ASLEEP! During the encore, there was only one man standing up, and even he sat down after 30 seconds. I don't know if this is common in Munich, but there was no chemistry at all, it was bizarre. I felt very uncomfortable, sitting in the front row and being gazed at, cause I dared to scream woo-hoo after a song.

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uskidsknow View Post
    '05 tour was bipolar like that. Some shows were AMAZEBALLS (San Diego, Saratoga Springs), but the ones that were on the opposite end of the spectrum were bordering on being insufferable.
    Yes! I was at the show in Frankfurt and that was so great. Berlin was amazing, too. It had an unbelievably good version of muhammad my friend.

But FUCK, that cars and guitars from Wallingford is bad! Kari, I can just imagine your frozen grin, sitting in that front row!

Wow, that Wallington show is just, ewww ...I don't even know what I would have done while getting such a shitty performance. Lucky that I didn't attend any shows during the TBK-era. Funny that this woman was voted the among the five best living live-acts by the RS. Hard to believe after watching these videos

I think so far we can collectively say that 2005 was her worst tour.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    Chicago 2009 - i've never been more disappointed in a show. maybe because chicago shows are hyped to be great, but this one was not. on paper it looks great and she performed a lot of songs that i wanted to hear (that guy, pandora's aquarium, marys of the sea, northern lad) but she was not into the performance AT ALL . i recently listened to the boot, perhaps thinking that maybe it was just me because i remember not feeling well and was particularly annoyed that day. but nope, the boot makes the show sound even worse than my memory of the experience.
    This is mine as well. I loved the setlist up until the solo section, but it was all downhill from there. (I love Northern Lad, of course, but I thought it sounded pretty terrible and remember cringing as she attempted the high notes.) The energy was not there at all. Knowing now that she was recording MWG while here, I can understand why she seemed distracted, but she REALLY seemed distracted. You could almost see her going through a list of things she needed to do in her head. I've never seen her so not into performance. It was uncomfortable, disappointing, and I wanted to leave after Leather. Also the incredibly dragged out Leather and That Guy almost put me to sleep, and then to follow them up with Cars & Guitars, cha-chas and ass grabbing/rim polishing included, was painful.