Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Least Favorite Tori Concert?

Quote Originally Posted by dreams of owls View Post
    This is mine as well. I loved the setlist up until the solo section, but it was all downhill from there. (I love Northern Lad, of course, but I thought it sounded pretty terrible and remember cringing as she attempted the high notes.) The energy was not there at all. Knowing now that she was recording MWG while here, I can understand why she seemed distracted, but she REALLY seemed distracted. You could almost see her going through a list of things she needed to do in her head. I've never seen her so not into performance. It was uncomfortable, disappointing, and I wanted to leave after Leather. Also the incredibly dragged out Leather and That Guy almost put me to sleep, and then to follow them up with Cars & Guitars, cha-chas and ass grabbing/rim polishing included, was painful.

Does that bring some memories back? ... She is her motherfucker

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Oh lord. I almost blocked out that embarrassing "rant" during an already terrible song.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    That Wallingford Cars and Guitars is shockingly nasal. Crazy is a beautiful song, but in that performance it sounds like she's genuinely playing it as she's drifting off to sleep.

And I don't know what to say about the Strong Black Vine rants except they're terrible and it's embarrassing when people start cheering when she says "motherfucker."

^^ You know, these people remind me of being an eleven or twelve year old kid. These moments when somebody mentioned the words "dick" or "pussy" and everybody giggled. So dumb!
    Last edited by samko; 11-16-2011 at 11:04 PM.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Holy shit @ those Wallingford videos. Cars and Guitars was like watching a train spill off a bridge into a river (I just couldn't look away!), and Crazy made me feel like I was going into a coma. I mean, I feel bad about whatever happened to her that day, but still, yikes.

these days just seem to crush me
    Quote Originally Posted by samko View Post
    Does that bring some memories back? ... She is her motherfucker

i didn't watch the video but my memory is enough. we got strong back vine with police me right after in the encore. i should have just fucking left.

that was for sure the lowest point of the concert.
    Last edited by Jessy; 11-17-2011 at 02:19 AM.

The Drama Queen of Pretentiousness! Ms. Shart O'Nay's Avatar
    Oh, sorry '05, here comes another strike. DC: my first Tori concert, and of course built up so much because all I'd heard was OMG BEST LIVE SHOW EVER!!!!! I was in the nosebleeds, alone, and thrilled beyond belief.

Then the concert happened. Let's just say thank goodness Virginia Beach 05 also happened, or I probably would have never given live-Tori another chance (and so would have missed out on some incredible 07 shows). I have to say, though, that Boston 09 wasn't a particularly stellar show for me, either. There were certainly moments that were great (I actually must admit that I LOVED having her come at as Santa for the encores--not to mention, it meant we got She's Your Cocaine and Raspberry Swirl, two songs I was convinced I'd never hear live), but generally, her heart just didn't seem in it, even though the motions themselves were fine.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Funny that this woman was voted the among the five best living live-acts by the RS.
    To be fair, that was in 2003. And although I don't go to a fuckload of concerts, the Tori Amos shows I saw from 1998-2003 were among the very best live 'alternative pop/rock' musical performances I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    To be fair, that was in 2003. And although I don't go to a fuckload of concerts, the Tori Amos shows I saw from 1998-2003 were among the very best live 'alternative pop/rock' musical performances I've ever seen.
    I know. But wasn't it funny how things changed two years later?
    For me, 2009 is even worse than 2005. The outfits, the voice and so many shitty songs more in her repertoire...Oh, and she still hasn't played SBV this tour. I have this sneaking suspicion that she saves it for the US tour
    Last edited by samko; 11-17-2011 at 12:41 AM.

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    I was at the 2005 Wallingford show, too, and would consider it the worst Tori show that I have been to, as it was the only one where I found myself drifting off a few times and getting antsy, yet I still don't think of it as the horror that others do, and there were a few good performances. Maybe I have a higher pain threshold than you guys, lol!
    Suck it, Shawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Agreed. And the shows I saw in 2007 were also quite good, if not flawed because of wigs etc.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I know. But wasn't it funny how things changed two years later?
    For me, 2009 is even worse than 2005. The outfits, the voice and so many shitty songs more in her repertoire...Oh, and she still hasn't played SBV this tour. I think she saves it for the US tour
    The 2 concerts I saw in 2005 were pretty good and the one I attended in 2007 was all right. (I thankfully passed on the 2009 tour.) But, in comparison, the last what I would term "great" Tori performance I saw was in 2003. So yeah, it's funny how things change, but it's also a bit sad.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Wallingford 2005. A horror of epic proportions. I have talked about this show at length. Marci and I both have PTSD about it and refer to it as the "Wallingford Disaster". It was the only Tori show I have ever left feeling like there was not one good performance. Worst? I had been upgraded to the front row through a contest thingie, and Tori was regularly making at least brief eye contact with me, so I had to actively disguise my horror.

Regulars who were there say that something had happened to upset her and she was having a crap day. This was fairly obvious. She sang the whole set at the slowest tempo you can imagine, and her vocals were so nasal it was like she had replaced her vocal chords with a kazoo. The setlist included "Mary" and "Cars and guitars", which is just not good. She was so not into it and looked like she was having as much fun as she'd have at the dentist. Then, at the end, she played "Toast" and quite literally burst into tears. She had to look away and riff on the piano for a minute and I could see her face very clearly and she was crying. I felt really bad for her in that moment, but christ alive. I wanted to shoot myself. Horrid.

Here is an example of the horror. HORROR.

EVEN WORSE? I didn't get tix for the Jones Beach show the following night and she quite literally played my dream setlist. I am not ashamed to admit that I pretty much cried when I saw it.
    I think there was actually a groan of despair from an audience member at 1:00 in the C&G video. Just after the beatboxing started.

You are what you wear. Corey Haim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    Looking back at my reviews of the shows, it would have to definitely be the 8/8/2005 Atlanta show at Chastain! It flooded that day, and when I was trying to find my seat, I stepped in a huge puddle and soaked my socks and shoes, and then I had to sit down in a wet mess.
    yeah, i was completely miserable at that show. i think the most important thing on my mind during that entire show was getting into a dry environment and taking off my shoes and socks and then passing out.

other than that, i don't really have any *horrible* experiences at a tori show. i think i was lucky in that the only show i caught on the ADP tour was the DC one, and the setlist was pretty good (i enjoyed mary jane) and her voice didn't sound *too* flat. the '07 nashville show was pretty good too, even with the stupid isabel LIFT YOUR LAMP prop. i was happy to hear voodoo, glory of the '80s and even...the power of orange knickers.
    It basically comes down to that word: love. I guess that's what it's all about.

^ She played Mary Jane at an ADP show? Or did you mean to say AATS? Or are you referring to having enjoyed the ganj before the show?
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.