Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Least Favorite Tori Concert?

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Oh, that Cleveland venue is Tower City Amphitheater, although while it was still open it was referred to as Tower Shitty Amphitheater. It's basically the worst venue ever constructed. I mean, it was a tent built over a parking lot.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

For me, the worst was Royce Hall, Los Angeles, 2005. It was the only time I've ever heard YA live, and what a complete letdown it was: the "climax" was croaky, the high note was avoided altogether. Add an eleven minute Beekeeper on top of that, and I was a very disappointed EWF.

Listening to the boot again, though, I suppose it wasn't that bad; at least I didn't get C&G or Hootchie Woman. And although I remember being really irritated by the nasal quality of her voice at the show, at least it was on-key nasal voice.

Every show after that one has made up for that one, though, including 3 during the ADP tour, so the bad taste is outta my mouth now.

Cleveland 2005. There was so many memorable events that happened before, during, and after the show that I don't regret suffering through it. But the show itself was what nightmares are made of. During the show you could see a freight boat floating behind the stage and I'm pretty sure that it was coming to claim our souls. And the stage was like eight feet off the ground which made my pit tickets a waste. I do recall a really amazing Liquid Diamonds from that show though.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Nottingham 2005 was my third on the TBK tour, I enjoyed London1 and Manchester but this had the lowest energy I've ever seen from her on stage; an embarrassing row with venue security ("GET OUT, COCK SUCKERRR!!!!!" was possibly tongue in cheek, but still, no, Tori. No.); and at the M+G seeing an un-met local woman choke back tears while an EWF in front of her filled Tori in at length on all the OMG amazing things they'd done since speaking to Tori the week before. Lots of other people got seen but that image sticks in my head. I didn't feel as much connection to the piano playing, which I'm sure is because of the Midi-madness, and it had the most empty seats I've ever seen at a Tori show, which must've made it harder for her. There was still plenty to enjoy, but afterwards I looked back on it thinking an era had ended for me. I couldn't imagine wanting to do multiple shows again. (But then the ADP tour!)

Sheffield 1996 was an odd one. I was still finding much of Pele impenetrable, and I suppose I wanted to be seduced. My only DDI show, second night of the tour, and Tori barely spoke to us - compared to a story before every other song in 94 - which I found completely weird. The bassline from a nearby nightclub accompanied her throughout, especially noticeable on Me and a Gun, and she didn't seem to be on good terms with the harpsichord that night. Tori did tell a cute story about still suffering the after effects of too much celebration at the first night party, but it left me thinking "didn't realise I was booking for the B-show ". Needless to say, I kick myself now for letting that put me off travelling to any other UK shows on that tour. If I remember my oldtime boots right, as with the main Choirgirl tour, DDI only really scaled its ultimate heights once it got to the States.

These two are only remarkable because I've loved every other Tori show (I'm a '2 or 3 per tour' habit guy) I've been lucky enough to get to.

I have a general question (sorry, I didn#t want to open a new thread and didn't know where else to post that one...)
    I've seen that in 1996 during the DDI tour, Tori did two shows a day in one city. What was the exact reason for that? Was that common at that time? And when did the two shows begin and end? I am just asking since I imagine that this must be extremely exhausting for an artist no?

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDoggy View Post
    I have a general question (sorry, I didn#t want to open a new thread and didn't know where else to post that one...)
    I've seen that in 1996 during the DDI tour, Tori did two shows a day in one city. What was the exact reason for that? Was that common at that time? And when did the two shows begin and end? I am just asking since I imagine that this must be extremely exhausting for an artist no?
    I imagine it was mainly due to shows selling out and wanting to add more without having to throw off the whole tour schedule. It also allows Tori to have a day off while still adding more instead of having a run where she does a show every night of the week. Some artists will do two shows a night (I know Laura Marling just did two shows a night in Philly and NYC), but it isn't a very common practice. I believe the last time Tori did it was during the 2001 tour in San Diego.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by promo78 View Post
    But the show itself was what nightmares are made of. During the show you could see a freight boat floating behind the stage and I'm pretty sure that it was coming to claim our souls.

ahahhaaha
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

The Metropole show in Amsterdam 2010. What a car crash. Predictable set, poor vocals and the first 3 songs had to be repeated as it was a radio broadcast and she'd fucked them up. After the main set, the front section all just sat down without stage rushing. I remember looking behind me at some fellow fans I knew and just cringing. Even more awkwardly, the fans from the back tried to stage rush and filled the aisle whilst everyone on the floor just sat and clapped politely. It was such a disappointment after the earlier summer shows were so outstanding.

That was the only Tori show that's left me disappointed. I only saw Manchester in 05 and it was a solid show, if not a little sluggish during the first half. But not an outright bad show.
    ~just an underwater thing~

On Scarlet's Walk, Portland OR.
    I just thought it was a snoozefest. Very boring. The music sounded lazy.

I've seen some pretty good shows, but Austin TX 2014 left me with a migraine. Beautiful moments with a pretty weird first half, great covers set into the second half and then a really, really unfortunate set of encore performances plus piercingly loud beats from CFG and Swirl. The bootleg is much better than the actual show was for me.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    For me it would be a tie between Rome 2009 and Rome 2014. They weren't really BAD shows... in 2009 she played a lot of Choirgirl and I got my first Spark, but it was 2009 and I left the venue with a strange feeling of being bored or underwhelmed.
    2014 had the same issues, on paper it sounds great but there was something missing, like energy or presence of mind, I don't know. She played my PTM request, though, which was beautiful. Maybe it was just that I was too far from the stage, but in 2011 I was sitting about the same seats and I enjoyed the show so much anyway. Maybe it was the backing tracks or the lack of some more energetic song that left me a bit bored.

So far I've seen her 1 time in Florence 2007, 3 times in Rome 2009, 2011 and 2014, 1 time in London 2012 and 1 time in Milan this year. Best shows were surely 2011/12/17
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun