Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound issues

Sound issues

My sincerest apologies if creating a new thread for this was inappropriate, but I didn't see a thread that seemed to address the issue that my computer is having.

I haven't been able to listen to anything on my laptop PC, except for on iTunes. Music plays just fine through iTunes, but whenever I try to play YouTube vids, Flash vids, etc...no sound.

It makes me feel sad feelings!
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

Sounds like a bad driver.

Oh, and....this is funny and weird, but the sound that Google Talk makes when I receive an IM just made an actual sound for the first time since I've had this problem.

Okay, bad driver. I can accept that! I just wish I could figure out which one.

What make is your computer?

Dell XPS. It originally ran Windows XP Media Center edition but when I broke it a couple months ago, I took it to the shop and they reinstalled it with XP Professional.

ETA: And a funny thing about that: When I got the computer home from the shop, I noticed that the little sticker that said what OS it was running had been scratched off. Ummm...like I wouldn't notice?

I know that with Dells usually they come with driver discs for you to load onto your computer. Maybe you could pull those out and run them again? Or maybe find a driver from the Dell website?

Ah yeah, I have the disc. I'll try that. Thanks!

Sure!

I had an issue with my HP laptop where when I hooked it up with the HDMI cable to play a video from it onto my flatscreen tv, it wouldn't play the sound from the tv. I'm sure it was probably a driver issue. That laptop has now pretty much died and I have a new one, and now the sound plays from the tv, so I'm happy.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Heh, I used to work for Dell.

I strongly recommend you to go to their website, enter your Service Tag and download the audio driver from there. They are usually up to date.

If reinstalling the driver doesn't fix it, then it might be a case of bad settings. What change did you make prior to having this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post

I strongly recommend you to go to their website, enter your Service Tag and download the audio driver from there. They are usually up to date.

If reinstalling the driver doesn't fix it, then it might be a case of bad settings. What change did you make prior to having this problem?
    This.

If you need help installing the driver, PM me and I'll try to walk you through it.

This might sound crazy, but some sound card drivers have volume settings for various applications on your computer. Maybe the one for web/Flash videos got muted, while others were left alone? I first noticed this on my computer when Winamp was playing files very quietly. The actual Winamp volume controls on the program itself were all the way up, and my master computer volume in my Sound preferences was at 100%... then I went into the advanced properties for my sound card and found a separate tab for Winamp's volume -- it was at like 40%.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Me too! I was a field service engineer for a couple of years.

Nothing to add to the good advice given so far.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This might sound crazy, but some sound card drivers have volume settings for various applications on your computer. Maybe the one for web/Flash videos got muted, while others were left alone? I first noticed this on my computer when Winamp was playing files very quietly. The actual Winamp volume controls on the program itself were all the way up, and my master computer volume in my Sound preferences was at 100%... then I went into the advanced properties for my sound card and found a separate tab for Winamp's volume -- it was at like 40%.
    This is especially true in Windows 7. For some reason, though, my WinAmp volume keeps going down on its own all the time. Maybe, smallbluething, look at the mixer settings and see that it's correctly set? (See attachment).

Volume.gif

Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post
    Me too! I was a field service engineer for a couple of years.
    They were gon' hire me to be a field service engineer as well, but they decided to give me an L2 position instead (which worked much better because I kind of hate driving in this city :P). Dell as a company.

Heh. Now I'm the one with the sound issues.

My computer is usually hooked to a much bigger sound system through a regular 3.5"-RCA cable and that's worked wonderfully for more years than I care to recall (the cable is fine, btw).
    I have a chair that is all made of plastic and whenever you get up and touch someone else, it'll give them a small electroshock. Well, I noticed the cable was next to one of the chair's metal legs and whenever I sat down or stood up, the stereo would make a funny noise. I thought it was so funny, I did it a few more times. The next thing I know, there is no sound at all. All settings are correct; I reinstall the driver, and still nothing. I don't have a sound card, but use the onboard sound component.

I removed the BIOS battery (for some reason I thought that would work), tried system restore, etc., but none of that worked. Next step would be to re-install the OS, but am pretty sure that's not going to fix it. Before I buy a PCI card, does anyone have any advice?

Funny thing: the first thing I noticed when there was no sound is that the computer no longer detected the 3.5" cable plugged-in, but changed the audio output automatically to SPDIF (which it doesn't actually have).

A friend who found out about my audio issues just gave me this little gem yesterday:

I am completely blown away. The betterment of the audio output, especially with added effects is simply pristine. I in fact thought my system was sort of worn out by now, because the quality I was getting with the onboard sound was "just OK".

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    When I move my mouse on my laptop, any video's audio I am watching makes a wurrly sound/distorts?
    It started two nights ago when I watched Amanda Palmer's uploaded video from Patreon's offices. It started exactly when I clicked play on that video and now it is doing it to all my videos.
    HALP!!!
    I have McAffe. And when I look online/google for solutions it is only giving me answers for recording and editing audio/video.. and I'm having issues just watching and hearing it.
    Gone. When hope is almost gone, you know that's the time we must stand strong --
    Every girl in every band- Every cosmic cowboy in the land -to the Earth will you show mercy?