Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy my kids presents!

Angry Buy my kids presents!

My jaw is on the floor over the audacity of this e-mail from a distant "friend."

So why has this time of year worn on me like a callous?? Am I the only one who believes that the commercialization of Xmas has become blasphemy? There is a holiday created the day after Thanksgiving called ”Black Friday”!!!! Black for Death?? Black for the violence some humans exude on others if they, in fact, took the last ‘must-have’ toy from the shelf?? Seriously, stores are now opening Thanksgiving night in order to accommodate for the frenzy of shoppers. Has this season really turned into this? People are willing to stand in line at Wal-Mart or the box store of their choice in order to save on certain items?? Do these people know that in order to save that money, YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY?!?!?!? Here’s my advice – you save all of your money by not wasting any money. I believe we are all past the idea of ’it’s the thought that counts’ crap and are more focused on what so & so bought me and why did this person buy me this when I spent all this money on them?? It is all crap. I’m broke this season and I have no idea what I am going to do for my kids. The funny thing is, one of the children won’t even realize what time of year it is or even care. However, the other one is at that age where it will get noticed if she didn’t get anything “special” this year. I’m not asking for a hand out, but this year would be exceptional if everyone just pitched in a helped someone in need.

* There are children out there who barely have food to eat every day, let alone a gift at holiday time. If I'm going to help out a family in need, I'm going to pick out a name from the angel tree and buy a gift through that program.

* "Commercialization" becomes a problem when you can't buy what you want- I've never heard him complain about the commercialization of holidays when he's buying expensive tech toys for himself or insanely overpriced toys for his kids.

* No one held a gun to his head and made him have two children. I'm not in the mood to subsidize his life choices.

Or am I misreading this insanely awful e-mail? It looks to me like he's asking for a handout but he's asking in such a roundabout way... I don't need to be prompted to help out people in need, thank you very much, I do so when I can as it is.

Yeah, seems like he wants a handout but doesn't want to ask directly, hence prefacing his request with a rant about the OMGCRASSCOMMERCIALIZTIONOFCHRISTMAS but also mentioning his own kid who will definitely notice if he/she doesn't get anything special this year. Bizarre. If you're going to beg, at least own it.

It's especially frustrating given that this is basically his only communication in months, aside from an e-mail to my sister asking her to stalk his soon-to-be ex wife over facebook (she declined).

If he wants gifts, I agree that it makes more sense to just own up to it right away rather than layer it in with a rant so it's difficult to tell what he's up to. I wonder if he's hedged enough so if someone does respond by saying a version of what I said above, he can respond angrily and let the person know that he was only suggesting giving to people in general, not his kids.

But should a person respond and say "oh, gosh, ____, how can I help?" the response may well be different.

He sounds like a real winner.

I suggest donating to an actual charity and then sending him a note to let him know that his message prompted it. If he's fishing for presents for his kids, then he's going about it the wrong way. And this part:

* "Commercialization" becomes a problem when you can't buy what you want- I've never heard him complain about the commercialization of holidays when he's buying expensive tech toys for himself or insanely overpriced toys for his kids.
    Makes him look like a bigger asshat. And also, having done the local Toys for Tots in the past (distributing donated gifts and all) you quickly realize that gifts are nice, but warm clothes, shoes, food and housing are far more important. Giving a Barbie doll, in midwinter to a young girl with holes in her shoes and no coat, makes you aware of that.

Yup, that's why he's a distant friend. My sister remained more in touch with him over the years, but he's creeped me out so much that I stopped having anything to do with him quite a while ago. I was sad to hear about his divorce because they announced it mere months after his wife gave birth to their second child, but he's obnoxious in general. My sister's baffled as to why he'd do something so "out of character." Uh, not out of character. We're talking about a guy who kvetched about a lack of "cool" wedding gifts and later about a lack of expensive baby gifts (we sent a measly BEAR! WHAT JERKS!).

Quote Originally Posted by SMMY View Post
    Makes him look like a bigger asshat. And also, having done the local Toys for Tots in the past (distributing donated gifts and all) you quickly realize that gifts are nice, but warm clothes, shoes, food and housing are far more important. Giving a Barbie doll, in midwinter to a young girl with holes in her shoes and no coat, makes you aware of that.
    Precisely. When I give to charities, I do like to buy toys but my family and I layer it in with coats, gloves, clothes, etc. Having a warm coat to wear to school really DOES matter more to these kids than having a Bratz playset.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Mickey Wrangle View Post
    Yup, that's why he's a distant friend. My sister remained more in touch with him over the years, but he's creeped me out so much that I stopped having anything to do with him quite a while ago. I was sad to hear about his divorce because they announced it mere months after his wife gave birth to their second child, but he's obnoxious in general. My sister's baffled as to why he'd do something so "out of character." Uh, not out of character. We're talking about a guy who kvetched about a lack of "cool" wedding gifts and later about a lack of expensive baby gifts (we sent a measly BEAR! WHAT JERKS!).
    Oh, well then fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMMY View Post
    Giving a Barbie doll, in midwinter to a young girl with holes in her shoes and no coat, makes you aware of that.
    in scanning quickly, i thought this said "give him midwinter graces" and my first thought was--that'll show the crass fuck.

indeed its completely rude, crass and reads like tiffany/tori karmagate. i dont think id even respond. vile.

Quote Originally Posted by fox in socks View Post
    in scanning quickly, i thought this said "give him midwinter graces" and my first thought was--that'll show the crass fuck.

indeed its completely rude, crass and reads like tiffany/tori karmagate. i dont think id even respond. vile.
    Midwinter Graces would be worse than coal in your stockings.

Precisely. When I give to charities, I do like to buy toys but my family and I layer it in with coats, gloves, clothes, etc. Having a warm coat to wear to school really DOES matter more to these kids than having a Bratz playset.
    Honestly, it's the best thing to donate. I know it's emotionally satisfying to donate to toys for tots and the like, but if you're going to donate for the holidays, donate to a local food bank or warm clothes, blankets, shoes and the like first. A Bratz playset won't keep a child warm or feed them.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    buy him a goat
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

or a beast ghost

We're talking about a guy who kvetched about a lack of "cool" wedding gifts and later about a lack of expensive baby gifts
    Oh, ugh, argh, blergh. Fuck him. I can't stand people who feel entitled to make every occasion a personal gift grab.

"Do these people know that in order to save that money, YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY?!?!?!? Here’s my advice – you save all of your money by not wasting any money."

Has he ever considered a career as a financial analyst? Because he would totally rock the shit out of that. I agree with what everyone else is saying here.

Or buy them one of those pieces of toast people sell on ebay with designs burned into them. Now THAT is a conversation piece.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    I would have been hard pressed to resist the urge to write back explaining the actual meaning of the term "Black Friday" and pointing out that no, it isn't a fucking holiday, it's just a day when people shop like assholes. And if he has such an issue with it, he's free to participate in Plaid Friday.

The entire email seemed to make little to no sense, or at the very least contradicted itself. "I hate that Xmas is so commercial! My kid needs a special present! WAAAAAAAH!" What is that hoping to accomplish?
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.