Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Tori songs are just better in studio than live?

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar

What Tori songs are just better in studio than live?

Tori is a fucking awesome live performer, and reworks and revitalises her catalogue in her live shows. Fact.

But, there are some songs that she just doesn't do justice to live.

I'm gonna be contentious and say that I much prefer the recorded versions of A Sorta Fairytale to any of the live versions. By far. Those backing vocals do add a lot more than you'd think, as do those little acoustic guitar flourishes, and the sparseness of the arrangement on the record in the verses makes the choruses even stronger as a result. Even Jon's bass is better on the record than in any of the live versions where he's trying to be the bass parts and the guitar parts too.

I dunno. I just way prefer it on record than any of the live versions I've heard.

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    Contentious? I find that to be the case, as well.
    As for your original question, I'll have to think about it.
    It might be a bit contentious for me to say I Can't See New York. I fucking love the studio version, but her doing it solo is a snoozefest for me.

Spark, of course.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    My first reaction - Take Me With You. I've not heard a single live version that comes close to the studio take IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah. View Post
    Spark, of course.
    Oh god yes.

And I really dislike that drawn-out live version of The Waitress. I just don't like it. It becomes such a fucking dirge live instead of the wry, tongue-in-cheek grungy album version.

Carbon. The recorded version is one of my favorite songs of her entire catalog. She got the whole thing perfect. I love the unique piano intro, with the bass and little drum hits that sort of punctuate everything. I love the way Matt's drum work accentuates the rolling piano line and unusual meter shifts. I love the way the acoustic guitar adds some Western flavor and mystery to the entire mix. And I've never - not even once - heard a live version that I've liked. At all.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

these days just seem to crush me
    Siren

the '01 versions are awesome though (i still prefer studio). and the live band versions just seem too slow and not as intense as they should be.

also want to add father lucifer - wayy better in the studio! i find the live versions quite boring to be honest.
    Last edited by Jessy; 11-22-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    Siren
    Absolutely agree! The studio version is another one of my favorites. It has that inimitable, post-Pele-pre-Choirgirl, rushed-in-the-studio-for-a-film-soundtrack-but-still-a-random-moment-of-genius thing going on. But I feel like when she started performing it live, she tried to change the whole character of the song in some way. I can't really explain it.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Definitely agree with Carbon. I'd also say Concertina. I love that song on the record, however it usually comes off flat and missing something in live forms.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    The ones that absolutely leap out are definitely Spark and A Sorta Fairytale - the former loses its dramatic impact, and the latter ends up sounding a bit sludgy with frequently sub-par vocals. I think the only live ASF I've flat-out loved was the one for Swedish TV in 2002

I do however disagree about Siren - I've never liked the studio version much.

One thing I would say is that her songs that are very much studio creations shine live when she radically remodels them. Hence things like Spark and ASF suffer from trying to recreate them, whereas something like '99 solo Juarez is absolutely extraordinary because of how markedly different the approach is. There are some exceptions but I can't think of them right now

Some of the solo Father Lucifer's are really stellar - that's one song she's managed to make really work so well live, despite how awe-inspiring it is on record. But live it can become something else entirely, and has so much life to it live.

Ha! I completely disagree with Siren and Father Lucifer, although I think the latter manages to be perfect in really any incarnation. But yeah, no, I loathe the studio version of Siren; it just sounds, so.... rushed? Unfinished? The vocal take is kinda messy too.

For me, Professional Widow. I think it sounds great live, but nothing will ever touch how great the studio take is.

I'll also echo the I Can't See New York sentiments, although I quite like the solo versions. The band version she did in 02-03 puts me to sleep, though.

I like Minneapolis 1998's Spark; I think I appreciated how she didn't try on the Plugged Tour to recreate the bridge and instead restructured it and sang it in a lower voice. I don't like how she insistently in every performance tries to hit the high notes in "you were the bomb" though; that to me only worked on the studio take.

Concertina, Spark, and ASF are the songs that came to immediate thought. There's just something about the energy to them she can't quite recapture live. Which, as you said, is rare for Tori. I think they're also really really well produced, and there's something that doesn't translate live.
    Sound is the blood between me and you

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I've also not been a huge Raspberry Swirl live fan but I'm not a bootleg expert by any means so maybe there are amazing ones out there I've missed. Also not a huge fan of solo Bouncing off Clouds.