Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beth Orton thread!

Icon15 The Beth Orton thread!

I couldn't find a thread for Beth Orton, so here it is!

I remember riding in the car with my best friend when we were seniors in high school, and he put on "Trailer Park." There was something so thoroughly satisfying about her voice...and that's the only way I could describe it. It's the same reaction that I got from listening to Neko Case years later...it's as if their voices actually cause my brain to release a greater amount of dopamine than others'.

I do think that the quality in her albums has declined over time. Trailer Park is her best, followed by Central Reservation, then Daybreaker, and so forth. But I do think her two-CD retrospective is pretty damn perfect.

I wonder why she hasn't released anything in so many years. What could she be up to??
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

"Feel to Believe" is probably one of the best, most emotionally gut wrenching song I've ever heard in my life.

ANTI- Records is releasing her new album. Hopefully in 2012

Oh good!!

Yeah she's been recording this month in Portland I believe. I was reading an article the other day about how she really wanted to build up a collection of songs she was happy with. However, I'm a little wary... she seemed to imply that critics who thought Comfort Of Strangers was sleepy would have a field day with this one. I was really hoping she'd go back in the other direction a bit - never really connected with CoS.

Edit: Here's the article and the quote:

If critics thought her previous album was a stripped-back affair, she says of her latest release: "Wait 'til they hear this one."
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226198265136
    Last edited by Nick; 12-06-2011 at 07:02 PM.

My only real problem with Comfort of Strangers is that it's so damn QUIET! I always have to turn up the volume several notches when one of the song shuffles on. I hate that.

I do like Paris Train and Mount Washington. Comfort of Strangers was just trifling. Glad to hear she has a new one coming out.

I'd love something more lush - even when downbeat - like Central Reservation. Stolen Car is just pretty much a perfect song, btw.

Totally! I have mixed feelings about the video. I always expected something more...I dunno. Road trippy? Like, her driving a car down Route 66, sort of like The Cardigans' "My Favourite Game." I like what they did with moving the microphone around in this video, though, I just think it could have worked better with a song with less specific lyrics.

I love Comfort of Strangers. I've played it as background music at dinner parties and my company loved the album's atmosphere. Yeah, the tone and mood are quiet and understated. Maybe I'm reaching, but one does have to be a bit quiet and understated to be able to find comfort in people they don't know. Most strangers aren't that approachable.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I have never been huge into Beth Orton, but I did see her live a few years back (early 2006) and she was just brilliant and quite surprising. My favourite song is Paris Train, it is so evocative to me. Then when I went to Paris and caught the Eurostar to London I made sure I had Paris Train on my ipod and the mood, the sound, everything so perfectly fit what was passing by outside my window. And I get to relive that moment everytime I listen to it, so it is very special to me.

I see she is touring again down this way in January, but unfortunately isn't coming to NZ. Otherwise I'd be there in a heartbeat since I enjoyed her other show so much.

I'm not a big fan of hers, but I love the song Blood Red River. It's one of my favourite sad songs.
    Black Diamond finally confessed

The remix of the title song "Central Reservation" is the most amazing song to drive to on a beautiful summer day. My husband and I did that quite a bit. Gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Pines, Ma View Post
    The remix of the title song "Central Reservation" is the most amazing song to drive to on a beautiful summer day. My husband and I did that quite a bit. Gorgeous.
    Do you mean the "Then Again" version or the more housey remix? I like both of them, but the "Then Again" version was my anthem for a couple of years.

I listened to her first three albums this evening while winding down from the weekend. It was just perfection, really. I hadn't listened to them in full in quite a while, and now I am anxious to get Trailer Park on vinyl, as it's truly an amazing record start to finish.

Wish she would play with the electronic-acoustic sound again, but I'd definitely love to hear a new album from her.