Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Come 2 Cover The Lovers: Unforumzed Drift

Last night I went to Running Up That Hill: A Celebration of Kate Bush featuring a range of artists from Scotland and the north of England. It was a great night - some really impressive arrangements and performances, with surprising selections from the back catalogue. All the musicians took turns providing backing vocals and accompaniment to each other.

There are a few videos on Youtube but unfortunately several of the highlights haven't surfaced yet (including a lovely rendition of This Woman's Work by Sarah Hayes of Admiral Fallow, Kathryn Joseph's terrific takes on Moments of Pleasure and Sunset, a fab version of Rubberband Girl from Field Music and Kathryn Williams doing Wow, And Dream of Sheep and Cloudbusting).

Karine Polwart:
    King of the Mountain (just a clip which doesn't do it justice but this was amazing)

Breathing (with a new spoken word section which actually works really well)

Roddy Hart:
    Army Dreamers

Hounds of Love (he got the audience to shout "It's in the trees! It's coming!")

Emma Pollock (who curated the night):
    Suspended in Gaffa

Love and Anger

James Graham (The Twilight Sad):
    Running Up That Hill

James Graham and Kathryn Joseph:

Don't Give Up

Field Music:
    Babooshka

All We Ever Look For

Rachel Sermanni:

Never Be Mine

Rachel Sermanni leading the full ensemble:

Wuthering Heights (the encore)

Wow. I wish they could take that show on the road.

(DJ) Markus Schulz - Running up that Hill

So, this happened at the last Daylight Music of the season.

Bit cloudy - Deeper Understanding (Kate Bush cover)
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

This is not technically a cover. It's a short film called Mítt Rúm, and even though the director doesn't say anything on the description of the video, it's basically Deeper Understanding made into a movie.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by her every cry View Post
    After having performed Bertie live a few times, classical singer Anne Sofie von Otter has now covered Pi:
    https://soundcloud.com/naiveclassiqu...things/s-m2vD2
    Just catching up with this now - it's actually a very lovely version arranged just for strings and her beautiful mezzo-soprano voice

Gorgeous.

I never really liked that song until just now!

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Thank you for bumping that Anne Sofie von Otter post ebby. That cover is beautiful; I listened to it about 6 times in a row last night. I also love her version of Cover Me on that same album. It's so eerie and haunting. The original suggests someone going on a dreamy trip through the clouds, this version is more like a nighttime journey through a creepy wood. For both covers the string arrangements really show up how the harmony in the music relates to the melody line, and you can hear what marvellous compositions they are, as if we didn't know that already.

I'm getting into the Nico Muhly song too. Do you know if he wrote that for her? I saw his new opera version of Marnie at the ENO recently and it had some beautiful moments.

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-01-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    I'm getting into the Nico Muhly song too. Do you know if he wrote that for her? I saw his new opera version of Marnie at the ENO recently and it had some beautiful moments.
    It was! It was a commission from the LA Phil with Anne Sofie von Otter and Yo Yo Ma:

From here: https://www.laphil.com/philpedia/mus...ion-nico-muhly
    So Many Things is a sort of through-composed cantata, two shorter lyrics framing a longer poem. Though in style and form the texts are little like most of the poetry that Brahms set, the subjects of love and loneliness, mortality and memory in them resonate harmoniously with his songs, including many on this program.

In commissioning new works for this Brahms Project, Emanuel Ax and his collaborators Anne Sofie von Otter and Yo-Yo Ma asked composers to consider the notes F, A, and F of Brahms’ motto “Frei aber froh” (free but happy), as used by Brahms in the opening of his Third Symphony.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    I never really liked that song until just now!
    It's such a beautiful cover isn't it? The string section really give it something special - I prefer this arrangement, and now I want a Kate version with a string quartet!

Sorry if this was already posted; I don't make it to the Kate forum that often. Video below of the lovely Jennie Abrahamson doing lovely things. There's a whole concert I need to check out with Jennie and Malin Dahlström (Niki & The Dove) covering Kate with an orchestra streaming for free at https://www.gso.se/en/gsoplay/video/kate-bush/

Last edited by Nick; 06-04-2018 at 10:44 PM.

^ Jennie is playing at a festival I'm going to next week. I've got her marked down as a "must see".

Came here to post this:

Just Ana Silvera covering Oh England, My Lionheart!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."