Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Little Earthquakes

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabih View Post
    While preparing for the End of Era playlist, I listened to some live versions of Mother. This has always been a favorite of mine and then lately I forgot about it. But after playing that intensively last week, I can really see this as my favorite from LE. It is overshadowed by the more popular tracks but it truly is a gem.
    Mother has been my favourite Tori song for many, many years. I keep thinking I'll end up loving something else more (Space Dog tried to take her spot a little while ago) or grow out of it or something, but that just hasn't happened. It so perfectly captures who I am, I can't let go of it.

When I saw a lot of requests for it in the End of Era playlist, I was so stoked. Then, the version you chose was one of the best I've ever heard. It made me very, very happy.

Mother is the song that made me think "this is the most beautiful music I have ever heard". It's my LE favorite and is pretty much tied with PTDO as my favorite Tori song.

Mother is one of those songs where the piano speaks just as loudly as the lyrics. Every note played means something, as if it's a language. I truly miss those kinds of songs from her.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    She played Mother (which I had unbelievably almost forgotten up to that point!) at the Portland UG show. It was a beautiful, masterful performance, not the least because (as I wrote on the Portland show page):

There was a group of woman dressing in vibrant costumes and dancing, and apparently the security guards were harassing them during Mother. Tori stopped mid song, and said "Hey Mister, it's okay, let them dance! It's beautiful!" (Prob not verbatim) then jumped right back into Mother and really highlighted the "dancing girls" lyrics and sang to them directly. It was very sweet and the whole audience (self included) went wild.

Love love love how she made Mother and Little Earthquakes (the title track) so new and so powerful on tour this year.

And just thinking back, that whole Portland show was just effing great. What a lovely memory.

Having LE in my life for so many years, I can say for sure Mother and Little Earthquakes are my lifetime faves from this album.

Little Earthquakes was released 25 years ago today!

25 years.... while I love reading Tori and the songs, I can't help but reflect on the person who loved these songs...

http://www.salon.com/2017/02/25/beca...ars-ago-today/
    Amos is generally kind to her younger self throughout this journey of self-discovery, however. On “Winter,” she employs fairy tale-esque imagery and several benevolent narrators to function as her conscience. “Sleeping beauty trips me with a frown/ I hear a voice: ‘You must learn to stand up for yourself/ Cause I can’t always be around,'” she says, while the chorus is simple and devastating: “He says, ‘When you gonna make up your mind?/ When you gonna love you as much as I do?'” Implying that self-esteem is a choice — that someone doesn’t have to wallow in self-loathing or past indiscretions — is powerful and freeing.
    Gosh the me that loved these songs was SO YOUNG. But I'm happy I had such messages of self empowerment wrapped in such beautiful piano melodies.
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebelle View Post

Nah...it can't be...

LOVE,

SB

25 years of Precious Things!

This song (and this version) is just ageless!

I wish she wrote a song like Precious Things again. I mean that kind of piano song with raw, complex and anxious rhythm and amazing solo bridge.
    Last edited by datura1452; 02-27-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by datura1452 View Post
    I wish she wrote a song like Precious Things again. I mean that kind of piano song with raw, complex and anxious rythm and amazing solo bridge.
    I feel like Siren, Hotel and to an extent Baron's of Suburbia all kind of sit within the Precious Things sensibility - but I don't think any quite reach the same heights. The song really captures the emotional desperation and angst of my teenage years.

I think Carbon reaches those heights, though she's singing about it from a different perspective, and obviously plenty of stuff before it. Definitely Siren and Hotel, iieee, Sneeze, Marianne.
    Last edited by MikeEP; 02-27-2017 at 01:20 AM.

I think Siren probably comes closest to having that sense of momentum and urgency.

25 years...
    Daaaaamn. Way to make a brother feel his age. I didn't discover Tori until UtP when I saw the video for "God" on 120 Minutes [Now I'm really dating myself, referencing a time when MTV played videos!] but LE is still my favorite album of hers, and apparently over 20 years later, my love for it still hasn't faded. I was just listening to "Happy Phantom" the other day in my car, singing at the top of my lungs.

Woah, that means that Gold Dust was released 5 years ago, right around the time I became a fan. So it's my 5-year fandom anniversary!
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

I haven't really shared this story with too many people and I've never even told Tori herself when I met her but Little Earthquakes quite literally saved my life about 20/21 years ago. It's taken me a lot of courage to say this here to be honest.
    I'm gonna heal myself from your religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
    I haven't really shared this story with too many people and I've never even told Tori herself when I met her but Little Earthquakes quite literally saved my life about 20/21 years ago. It's taken me a lot of courage to say this here to be honest.
    Thank you for being brave enough to tell us on here.

Under The Pink did the same for me.
    They say you were something in those formative years...