Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Earthquakes

The first two Tori songs I ever heard were Caught a Light Sneeze and Silent All These Years, which I believe was being played to promote RAINN. I heard Tori on modern rock live (I loved that radio show so much) in about 96 and went out and got Little Earthquakes first, though UTP and BfP were both also out.

I'm not sure if I've ever loved an album as much as I loved this one when I was 15-16. It was pretty much my default album, I think, from about 15 to 17, though Boys for Pele and Live Through This definitely took some time away from it after I bought them. To this day, I can name the entire tracklisting by heart.

Crucify was definitely an eye-opener for me, as was Precious Things, the much maligned-Leather, and Mother. These all spoke to things that I was struggling with--living in a religiously conservative area and trying to work out my discomfort with it, a troubling relationship with my mother, a sense of not being attractive/cool/interesting, etc. I also had a terrible crush on a boy at my school and Tear in Your Hand was my personal theme song for everything he was missing.

I feel a little sad that I don't have the relationship now to this album that I did then. I still listen to it occasionally, and I like it, but I don't feel the excitement an relevancy anymore, which is strange to me because Tori was just a little younger than I am now when she made this album. I try to avoid listening to it, even, because the missing feelings are sometimes too disappointing.
    I miss, I miss,/how you'd sigh yourself to sleep
    When I raked the springtime /across your sheets

This was my first album I bought only a few years ago. It is not my favourite but it will always hold a special place.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    It's November 22nd UK time. You know what this means?

19 years since Tori's TV debut, performing "Silent All These Years" on Jonathan Ross's show. I believe it was also a BBC Radio 1 Single of the Week.

I listened to LE again tonight, and was reminded of just how great it really is. Some of the songs have gotten exceedingly tired live, but the recorded versions are still great. Silent All These Years in particular hit me quite hard, especially the bridge, which is just majestically beautiful.

What does everyone think about the re-ordered/added to tracklist for A Piano? I think you can definitely make a case that Flying Dutchman and Take To The Sky belong on the album, but Upside Down and especially Sweet Dreams needed to be b-sides. I do like how it opens with Leather and "look I'm standing naked before you..." but Happy Phantom/MAAG/Flying Dutchman is bad sequencing.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHV View Post
    I listened to LE again tonight, and was reminded of just how great it really is. Some of the songs have gotten exceedingly tired live, but the recorded versions are still great. Silent All These Years in particular hit me quite hard, especially the bridge, which is just majestically beautiful.

What does everyone think about the re-ordered/added to tracklist for A Piano? I think you can definitely make a case that Flying Dutchman and Take To The Sky belong on the album, but Upside Down and especially Sweet Dreams needed to be b-sides. I do like how it opens with Leather and "look I'm standing naked before you..." but Happy Phantom/MAAG/Flying Dutchman is bad sequencing.
    Tired is a good way to put how most of the LE songs feel now. It's not even her performances, as SATY from Boston, for example, was very moving. I think we've all just heard them all so many times that you don't get enthused for most of them on a setlist, even if it's good while your there at the show or later on a bootleg. Girl is an exception since despite being played a lot in 09, it's still relatively rare. And we've gotten Happy Phantom so little lately too.

I wouldn't change LE. It's not just that I'm a purist, but I think it was damn near perfect so why mess with it? I love Dutchman, but it doesn't fit the tone. Neither do Take to the Sky and Sweet Dreams. Upside Down would make the most sense of the 4, but I wouldn't put it there. There is something about them that just says b-side to me.

Take Me With You, however, I could imagine being on LE very easily.

I think it's an incredible album with some of her very best songwriting but you're right, we have nearly 20 years of live versions of these songs and Tori's been playing them regularly for two decades. It's inevitable and natural that they would lose some "sheen" but like JHV says, the recorded versions remain superb.

As for changing the track lists, I think she got the songs included right. "Flying Dutchman" and "Upside Down" would have been nice but it's not a huge deal that they're not there.

It's also a rare instance where I'm glad she was forced to bow to record company pressure. If Atlantic had accepted the original version in 1990, there would be no "Girl," "Precious Things," "Tear In Your Hand," "Little Earthquakes," or "Me and a Gun," and the album would have included "Mary," "Sweet Dreams," "Song for Eric," and "Take to the Sky" instead (plus the unreleased "Learn to Fly.") Sure, she may well have saved them for UTP but then what would that record have been like?

I also want to hear "Learn to Fly" and "Berlin Wall," which remain unreleased.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    It's also a rare instance where I'm glad she was forced to bow to record company pressure. If Atlantic had accepted the original version in 1990, there would be no "Girl," "Precious Things," "Tear In Your Hand," "Little Earthquakes," or "Me and a Gun," and the album would have included "Mary," "Sweet Dreams," "Song for Eric," and "Take to the Sky" instead (plus the unreleased "Learn to Fly.") Sure, she may well have saved them for UTP but then what would that record have been like?

I also want to hear "Learn to Fly" and "Berlin Wall," which remain unreleased.
    Yeah, Little Earthquakes is one album where the label's demands on her actually helped a lot. I can't imagine the album without Precious Things and Me and a Gun especially, they're such seminal definitive songs for Tori, and I think without MAAG, Tori wouldn't've gotten anywhere near the amount of attention/following she did. Those 5 songs would've probably ended up as b-sides, since Tori wasn't saving anything for UTP (she's mentioned before how she probably should've saved Here in My Head for UTP because she wrote it later than the rest of LE, but she put it out as a b-side.)

I would also love to hear Learn to Fly and Berlin Wall, I'm hoping they'll be included on a big 20th anniversary edition of LE. It's odd that they weren't included on A Piano though, I wonder if that means the master tapes were lost/damaged like a few of the other songs from that time.

I hope the tapes survive. They found "Take Me With You." Either they didn't find them, or they found them but decided to hold them over for a future LE re-release. I remember her manager speaking about plans to re-release the catalogue in the coming years (that was in 2005). A Piano came out the next year, so maybe that was what happened with that, but still I think LE particularly would warrant an anniversary reissue on its own - the 20th anniversary in 2012 seems a good time.

I hope the tapes survive. They found "Take Me With You." Either they didn't find them, or they found them but decided to hold them over for a future LE re-release. I remember her manager speaking about plans to re-release the catalogue in the coming years (that was in 2005). A Piano came out the next year, so maybe that was what happened with that, but still I think LE particularly would warrant an anniversary reissue on its own - the 20th anniversary in 2012 seems a good time.
    I think if Tori doesn't do something big for LE's 20th anniversary, it'll be one of the dumbest decisions of her career. It would give her a nice round of positive press that would reintroduce her/the album to a new audience, give all of us fans something to be uniformly positive about (assuming she does it right and includes unreleased stuff/demos and remastered b-sides), and be a good victory lap for her to celebrate 20 years of success, something most artists don't achieve. My dream re-release would also include the LE VHS and all the videos on a bonus DVD, and have a couple shows in London, NY, LA, etc. at intimate venues where Tori did the whole album and the b-sides/covers from the era. (Maybe we'd finally get Banana King live again!)

If she's smart, she'll reissue LE at the start of 2012, get some good buzz from that, and then put out her newest "piano-centric" album later in the year to build on that and maybe get back some of her reputation with critics/music snobs.

red dots make me cum.
    ^This sounds wonderful!

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    That does sound great, but I think it's going to get ignored. If it gets put on hold till the 25th anniversary so she can do the musical, well, I think we'll all cope. But I fear it won't happen, or we'll just get the LE disk of A Piano released on its own or with the LE TOAL tracks

She could finally release Learn to Fly and Berlin Wall!

I was dying to see those and Motormaids on A Piano.
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

I think we should petition Tori for a re-release.

It's November 22nd UK time. You know what this means?

19 years since Tori's TV debut, performing "Silent All These Years" on Jonathan Ross's show. I believe it was also a BBC Radio 1 Single of the Week.

She actually kinda sounded nervous at the beginning, it wasn't bad she just sounded different from the usual Tori of that era. Well..I think...I don't know. lol. By the end she rocked it. That was the perfect song for her first television appearance, out of her whole catalogue (lyric-wise).

Also fuck yeah let's petition for a LE re-release. Tori might not be confident enough to do it though...

Well don't Rhino have the rights to her Atlantic catalogue? Yes I just found the article from Billboard in 2005 - "negotiation of a shift of Amos' catalogue within the Warner Bros. family from Atlantic to Rhino, which in the coming years should unleash a wave of deluxe reissues," using Elvis Costello's reissues as a model.

The first thing that came out from that deal was A Piano. I'm sure it's not out of the question for the individual albums to be reissued over the years. Depending on what goes on in 2012 from the point of view of a new studio album, then a 20th anniversary LE would be nice. She might be taken up with The Light Princess, so it might make a nice side project.