Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Earthquakes

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Well, I hope Rhino would do it with minimum involvement from T and her people (except, of course, full length songs we've never heard before ).

I am glad for the official things we get, but it seems that they can't get anything 100% right any more and I don't think its just us being whiny or picky. Rhino might worry about THE MUSIC rather than cameras, seeds, stickers, charms, posters, dolls, concepts, rock gardens, wigs, etc.

I don't want to hear a re-issue of LE the way that 2010 Tori would make it now.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Listening to LE on the bus this morning made me feel very nostalgic.

A boyfriend of mine recommended Tori to me, particularly LE, as SATY was one of his favourite songs. I guess he saw the space inside me that needed music like that.

Immediately I was drawn to Precious, Silent, Winter ... but as I get older I see more of me in Crucify and Little Earthquakes. "Give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" is possibly my favourite part on the whole record. Except for Mother, which is and always has been my favourite song. She gets it.

I always think of music being one of the best friends you'll ever have in your life. And like many real life friends, they come and go through different phases. Many of Tori's records are like that ... sometimes its Pink, or SW or Pele. But LE is a connection to a young me, so naive and innocent and terribly alone in the world that I cherish. I think its timeless, and its the kind of record I will pass on to my nieces when their time is right, and hope they get as much from it as I do.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Well, I hope Rhino would do it with minimum involvement from T and her people (except, of course, full length songs we've never heard before ).

I am glad for the official things we get, but it seems that they can't get anything 100% right any more and I don't think its just us being whiny or picky. Rhino might worry about THE MUSIC rather than cameras, seeds, stickers, charms, posters, dolls, concepts, rock gardens, wigs, etc.

I don't want to hear a re-issue of LE the way that 2010 Tori would make it now.
    I disagree. The A Piano Little Earthquakes CD IS the Little Earthquakes album for me now. I think they did a wonderful job of remastering and cleaning up the tracks. I think it is perfect.

(but if she ends up going a Tales of a Librarian route, then we have reason to be worried)

Her comments about Spark in A Piano suggests that she herself wasn't happy with all of the TOAL output. I mean, even the way she talked about Cruel and i i e e e suggests that remixing just gave listeners a chance to hear the songs in a different light, as opposed to creating more definitive recordings. I adore the LE remaster, although I think for all intents and purposes, it makes more sense for them to release a standard 12 track remaster with the b-sides and single mixes on a second disc.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by JHV View Post
    I think if Tori doesn't do something big for LE's 20th anniversary, it'll be one of the dumbest decisions of her career. It would give her a nice round of positive press that would reintroduce her/the album to a new audience, give all of us fans something to be uniformly positive about (assuming she does it right and includes unreleased stuff/demos and remastered b-sides), and be a good victory lap for her to celebrate 20 years of success, something most artists don't achieve. My dream re-release would also include the LE VHS and all the videos on a bonus DVD, and have a couple shows in London, NY, LA, etc. at intimate venues where Tori did the whole album and the b-sides/covers from the era. (Maybe we'd finally get Banana King live again!)

If she's smart, she'll reissue LE at the start of 2012, get some good buzz from that, and then put out her newest "piano-centric" album later in the year to build on that and maybe get back some of her reputation with critics/music snobs.
    omg. I just got a fangirl boner even reading that.

"Spark" was my first exposure to Tori and I was immediately captivated. Craving more, I purchased TOAL to get a better overview of her "greatest hits." The power and honesty of "Silent All These Years" and "Winter" from TOAL subsequently influenced me to next seek out more from LE. I can honestly say that besides FTCH, LE is my second favorite album of all time. I essentially worked backwards in the Tori catalog, but I return to her LE beginnings time and time again. What a wonderful, heartfelt production! I believe in this one collection, you can hear all of her multifaceted talent.

My favorite from the album, this song always stops me dead in my tracks. I can't help but to be lost in thought when I hear "Mother"

Mother is amazing.

Ok I just heard the STUDIO version of Take To The Sky...fucking love it! This definitely seems like the song she would write after YKTR lyric and production-wise. :P I love the chorus so hard. The Sessions at West 54th (I think that's what it's called) version might still be better...I can't decide.

I think Little Earthquakes definitely has the best B-Sides. I love them all. Including Humpty Dumpty...what do you guys think that song is about? I'm pretty sure it's about a gold digger but who knows.

Little Earthquakes was the first album I really loved. One of my favourites

"What it takes to be QUEEN!"

Humpty Dumpty is one of my very all time favorites. I think at the time I thought most of the B-Sides were far better than anything on the album.

I think about it now, and really, I think it really is about Tori losing touch with the album form (not the other way around as she has been claiming)-forgetting to use an editor's ear- that has mucked up several releases. Even Little Earthquakes could have been five different albums. It also would have lost heaps of its potency if she had jammed all the songs on there, as would have the b-sides. She picked A storyline for the album and followed it through. Some of the b-sides augmented that storyline, some augmented each other's story lines, some stood alone and everything had space to breathe.

spring summer fall winter endlesswant's Avatar
    i remember being in the ninth grade when "Little Earthquakes" was released. I remember seeing "Crucify" on MTV and it spoke to me so much!!!! I bought the cd and it changed my life. Like peeling away an onion layer after layer it revealed so much to me ...about myself. "Let them bleed, let them wash away" Those lyrics still give me chills.

Did you ever go clear? Alejandro's Avatar
    It seems a whole world away from where we are now. Just seems a bit odd to remember that she was once just as much of a singles artist as an album artist. I remember the fun of tracking down the SATY/MAAG singles for the b-sides you just couldn't get anywhere else.

^ It was always so exhilarating to find something new, especially in those pre-internet days when you didn't even KNOW what was out there as you were looking. There was no list of singles to track down, the whole experience was a treasure hunt.

For me, in the early nineties, the Bjork/Polly/Tori love was pretty equal and they were all releasing potent b-side laden singles. The treasure hunts were abundant.

Did you ever go clear? Alejandro's Avatar
    Exactly!! I picked up a lot of pretty rare items from all three back in the early 90s. I was a sucker for Polly's 7" singles and used to skip college the first day of release to make sure I got a copy.
    I remember being really disappointed that I couldn't find C'mon Billy on 7" only to find out years later that it was only released on 2 CD singles and 12"

Same with Tori's 12" singles. I assumed that because I had China & MAAG on 12" that Winter and Crucify were available on 12" and kept an eye open for ages lol.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairn View Post
    ^ It was always so exhilarating to find something new, especially in those pre-internet days when you didn't even KNOW what was out there as you were looking. There was no list of singles to track down, the whole experience was a treasure hunt.

For me, in the early nineties, the Bjork/Polly/Tori love was pretty equal and they were all releasing potent b-side laden singles. The treasure hunts were abundant.
    I really wish I had been the age I am now in the early/mid nineties... or even old enough to take notice of the music at the time. Sadly, I wasn't alive yet when LE was released.

Bless.

It can be just as much fun now, if not a bit more work. Go to record shows when you get a chance. Support any indie record store that still exists and tell them what you're looking for, they'll track it down.

It's sad to know though, that's it's all nostalgic value now and music releases as collectible for their own intrinsic value is an idea whose time has passed.