Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Bah humbug!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post

This is the only way me and my husband can give Christmas the time of day: We have a fake tree that we "plant" outside every year in honor of our cat Goblin, who died seven years ago. She loved the tree so much that we feel obligated to put one up every year to honor her rebellious, Christmas-loving spirit, which is so unlike our own. Over the years, we've added trinkets and decorations from many of our friends and relatives who have long since shuffled off this mortal coil. So it's become The Tree of Absent Friends. As hard-hearted as we are, it honestly makes us well up every time we look at it.
    This is beautiful and amazing. It's the best thing I have ever heard about Christmas in a long time!

Hey, if the cat liked it, how bad can it be? We're thinking maybe she was a better human being than we are. Looking at Christmas from a cat's eye view is the only way we can deal with it.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I think I've said this before but I used to LOVE Christmas - trimming the tree, buying gifts, wrapping presents, playing Christmas carols, filling stockings. The whole nine yards basically.

This is what Christmas used to look like in my home:

But since my mother passed away in 2015 we pretty much stopped celebrating. No tree, no decorations, not much in the way of gifts. SHE was the heart of the house and without her nothing is quite the same anymore. My father and I are going out for dinner on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. And I bought him his favorite cologne and cookies. At least we have one another.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    This is the first Christmas in recent years where I am not sad and/or sick. I am doing absolutely nothing but setting up my new apartment about 1,500 miles away from where I used to live. It is glorious. Apparently the secret to enjoying the holidays is acting like they don't exist and doing shit that you want to do in a brand new place.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    White christmases are nice if you don't have to shovel on christmas day... and have a time limit before hordes of assholes descend upon your house. And thundersnow makes it harder to shovel, as in you can't so you don't get hit by lightning. In December.

Fuck 2017.

Also? Fuck every one of my snowblower neighbors for watching me do it all by hand, especially when you stop at the property line. Fuck you today especially. And double fuck you to the asshole watching me do it by hand and then dumping his pile in the middle of the sidewalk. I'm the one who keeps calling the cops on you and will continue to do so until you get your cracker ass out to the country where it belongs and not in a densely packed urban setting.

My husband and I both have the flu! Yay! We have a 13 year old on the spectrum who cannot take care of herself! It's been hell around here the last few days.

Fuck electronic devices that don't work the way they used to. Fuck Apple for continuing to make their devices as unusable as possible and as inconvenient as possible. No, there's no reason why I'd like to add a photo to my device by just a drag and drop in iTunes. Please make me jump through iCloud. Fuck iCloud for not working. Fuck Microsoft for doing whatever it is it does to make iCloud not work. Stop blaming my firewall when I disable it and it still doesn't work.

And fuck people who take a beautiful piece of beef and cook it past medium. A roast should not be gray. Just because we have one precious princess who faints at the sight of pink meat doesn't mean everyone else has to eat what amounts to beef jerky.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Also? Fuck every one of my snowblower neighbors for watching me do it all by hand, especially when you stop at the property line. Fuck you today especially. And double fuck you to the asshole watching me do it by hand and then dumping his pile in the middle of the sidewalk. I'm the one who keeps calling the cops on you and will continue to do so until you get your cracker ass out to the country where it belongs and not in a densely packed urban setting.
    My neighbor does our driveway with her snowblower - that feeling of wet snow in your boots while your nose is dripping and your hands are fucking freezing is terrible. Shitty neighbors are the worst. I am so sorry love.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    My neighbor does our driveway with her snowblower - that feeling of wet snow in your boots while your nose is dripping and your hands are fucking freezing is terrible. Shitty neighbors are the worst. I am so sorry love.
    It wasn't that much snow. It drifted so some parts had barely a coating, some had a few inches. It was just there was such a tiny window between when it stopped snowing and when guests were arriving. My hands do hurt a lot and are like misshapen into claws. I was perfectly warm and dry, just angry and annoyed. I have one hair that is too long to gather with the rest of my mane, but too short to stay out of my way, so it's been getting in my eyes and mouth all day and I can't "find" it when I'm wearing my mittens.

My neighbors are garbage people. They park across the sidewalk, park at the fire hydrant, give their kids rides on their ATV up and down our street. Hey, that's fine if you're on a country back road, not in a city. I call them the screamers because all they do is yell at each other. I don't know the adults' names. Just the kids from all the yelling.

I'm also super grinchy to begin with. It wasn't my worst Christmas (that was probably the year I threw up all day, sorry to all of you who are sick this year), but it just was more stressful than it should have been. The storm was supposed to miss us and even up till last night there was a strong chance of being just rain. And it's going to be buttass cold all week, so it won't melt away like the last couple storms. Thursday or Friday is supposed to be a high of 10F. I haven't exercised in days and it really does a number on my head. Plus I am 90% cookies at this point because our real food sucked.

Bob Mueller needs to investigate the crime against our Roast Beast.

And Kari, double sorry to you.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    This December I got an infected gouge in my cornea, then the flu, and I’ve been battling a nasty depressive spell and trying to understand why the person I was falling in love with just up and ghosted me after months of constant texts. And my therapist is leaving so I have to start over with someone new and it just feels like way too much work.

What a miserable December. My drink tracker is a joke. My birthday came and went and now I’m a year older and still no one loves my bipolar alcoholic ass and I’m still chronically broke and sad and too chickenshit to tell my parents that I’m as much of a mess as their other kid. I’m crying silently in the back of a Lyft and the driver is politely not saying anything.

Merry fucking Christmas.

Edit: on the upside, listening to the “all alone, all alone, all alone! /DROP” in Charli XCX’s “Backseat” right now was pretty good emotional synergy.
    Last edited by Perky Compson; 12-26-2017 at 03:18 AM.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Last Christmas was barely 3 months after my mom died and I tried to kill myself and had no support system. This year had to be better. My good friends really showed up this year and made sure I did not feel alone, even though I physically was. I'm very grateful to have them in my life, and that I was honest and told them how I needed support last year and didn't get it from them. They listened. It was still a shitty, shitty day that I just wanted to sleep through, but I didn't want or try to kill myself, so it was a win overall. My bar is low.

to everyone who had an awful day.

^I no longer take any surgery lightly even the so called routine ones. My mom nearly died* due to complications following hernia surgery four years ago.

I'm sorry Kari. When it rains, it pours!

*This happened around Thanksgiving 2013.
    Last edited by entropy; 12-26-2017 at 11:34 PM.

I'm so so sorry that everyone is having such a shit time this holiday season. It's just about impossible to sit down and think quietly about this kinda stuff when everyone around you is beating themselves to death with that happy, phony Christmas stick. Please try to hang in there.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Sending big to everyone who is hurting right now. For whatever it's worth, I have a listening ear for anybody who wants to DM to vent.