Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Bah humbug!

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    I don't think anyone's going to completely change their extended family's worldview over a holiday dinner, but I can understand wanting to encourage people to respond when their relatives make blatantly racist comments, since silence can feel like tacit approval. Folks definitely need to watch out for their own mental health and safety though. It's certainly not easy to decide what battles are worth our time
    100%. All the snotty shit I read doesn't take into account mental health and safety. Or maybe that some of us have tried for our whole lives. It makes the problem on *us* for somehow not converting our family members instead of on the racist shitbags themselves. It'd be great if all of us on the right side of things could convince the wrong people this weekend, but it is always framed as our fault when it doesn't happen.

I was convinced a long time ago, that I don't have the ability to change anyone's mind about anything. Especially in person. Online, I can take my time, do some research, and then present an argument that's based on factual evidence, and when that is dismissed, I'm done. I can "leave the room" but nobody sees me go. I would think, that if I had to deal with that kind of bullshit from family members, I simply wouldn't deal with them anymore, but I understand it's not that simple.

Due to factors outside of my control, I'm home alone today, my daughter is off with her mom, I picked up my SO at the airport (from Dubai! She's resting.) and will be having Thanksgiving tomorrow with members her family. One of them socially inept, but tolerable. It's nice being here alone, the streets are quiet, I'm nursing a minor cold, having a glass of wine or two and resting. Yay!

And I'm wishing you a good, or at least a decent holiday, without obligations or conflict. I also wish we could have a glass of wine together, online drinking could be a great thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    100%. All the snotty shit I read doesn't take into account mental health and safety. Or maybe that some of us have tried for our whole lives. It makes the problem on *us* for somehow not converting our family members instead of on the racist shitbags themselves. It'd be great if all of us on the right side of things could convince the wrong people this weekend, but it is always framed as our fault when it doesn't happen.
    I read your first post on this yesterday! I couldn't agree more.
    1. When I am with my family, I have to focus on keeping my own oxygen mask on, so to speak.
    2. The bolded part reeks of some weird fundamentalist christian bullshit I heard growing up. If I don't try and save somebody than their blood is literally on my hands when I am in heaven. So yeah, that's fucked up!
    3. Around a Thanksgiving dinner would be the worst time to try to talk with somebody. Having a non-conformational one on one would be the way to go and even then you aren't going to change somebody's mind unless they are opened minded and if they were opened minded they would be a racist bung hole.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I have a new hero.