Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 LastLast

Thread: Make a contentious musical statement!

the juniper tree is mine Octopussy's Avatar
    I just don't like her style I guess, cuz I found both of those songs brassy and annoying. Punk-emo-showtune-cabaret is not a hybrid that should exist anywhere in nature.

Yeah, to each his own I guess. I don’t love everything she does but those 2 songs, The Point of it All and really all of Theater is Evil are really solidly written songs. Bunch of others too.

I think John Williams is the most overrated film score composer ever. (Apart from his music for Jaws, which was relatively low-key, moody and nuanced.) I never really noticed that I disliked him until I saw the first Harry Potter movie and was bitterly disappointed by the turgid, urgent score. I think the Star Wars theme isn't that different from his commissioned work for NBC News and Sports presentations: I call it "Fanfare for the Self-Absorbed Baby Boomer." Just a simplistic melody with a cacophonous, pretentious flourish of horns.

^Oh I loathe John Williams scores. I always think how much more powerful the ending of Saving Private Ryan would have been if it had had no score. The blaring horns over images of the American flag blowing in the wind makes me want to leave the room.

Williams is the past. The future is people like Jonny Greenwood and Mica Levi. There was also Jóhann Jóhannsson but, tragically, he suddenly died last week.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 06-10-2018 at 12:26 PM.

I think John Williams’ music for the most part is memorable and even bold in some ways. He doesn’t always mine the depths but he’s a composer who frequently writes music that really fits with the theme of the films they’re meant for. I love Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Jurassic Park especially. But his music for Star Wars and Harry Potter are also great in their own right.

I don't understand Johann Johansson's music at all. It sounds like a fridge buzzing for one hour.

Also, can someone explain to me why Mac De Marco is famous? His songs are like the bad music my mom listened in the 80s. I don't get it.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Co-signed on Mac deMarco. I could barely get through one of his albums on Spotify.

I'd also like to add Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile to that list. The single off their album together made me turn to my roommate and go "this is the worst kind of music I've ever heard".

I listened to Courtney Barnett once and it was more than enough. She had the appeal of a toilet on the fritz -- will it ever stop flushing? Should I get the plunger? Am I gonna have to put my hand in there? MAJOR anxiety trigger.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 02-14-2018 at 09:38 PM.

I love Courtney, but I haven’t heard the duo album yet.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

I just listened... it's better than her first album. I can at least tune out the lyrics and singing this time.

I actually like Kurt Vile, but I haven’t been able to get into Courtney.

Aw man I love the new Courtney song. Lyrics and all.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I have tried. I really have. But I cannot stand Joanna Newsom's voice and it completely puts me off trying to get through the music. I know she is the unf darling but for me it doesn't work. Also, I'm not part of the OMA elite group so there's that.