Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Make a contentious musical statement!

Make a contentious musical statement!

I know we had one of these threads at @forumz, but I couldn't find one here!

Lana del Rey? Her voice is interesting, but "born to die" is a terrible song! The video is extremely obnoxious.
    Last edited by entropy; 12-24-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Lana Del Boring Throwback Who Makes Music For Adverts. "Let's go get hiiigh!" Let's go fuck yourself.

I'm also having a tough time warming up to """""""""tUnE"""""""""-yArDs and EMA. They're not terrible (just close), but they are boring. And why is she named after the Education Maintenance Allowance?

Florence and the Machine?

No.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Whappo View Post
    Lana Del Boring Throwback Who Makes Music For Adverts. "Let's go get hiiigh!" Let's go fuck yourself.

I'm also having a tough time warming up to """""""""tUnE"""""""""-yArDs and EMA. They're not terrible (just close), but they are boring. And why is she named after the Education Maintenance Allowance?
    I agree about the Tuneyards and EMA. I ordered that Tuneyards CD because I kept hearing so much about it, and I wanted to throw it out the window of the car by about the fourth song. And I don't get the fuss about EMA. I bought the album and thought it was OK, nothing new or exciting, but then I saw her open for CSS and MEN, and it was just hideously boring. She was standing up there spilling out some stream of consciousness lyrics that were so transparently supposed to be raw and confessional, or whatever, and she just sounded like an asshole.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

[ validated ]
    Lana Del Boring. lulz.

Tyler, The Creator: MTV's Best New Artist! I think that's contentious enough.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I've already made plain my feelings that Florence and Laura Marling can be filed in the "Boring and/or Bollocks" category.

I haven't heard EMA but Andrew that is absolutely the first thing I thought of when I saw the name.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
    I agree about the Tuneyards and EMA. I ordered that Tuneyards CD because I kept hearing so much about it, and I wanted to throw it out the window of the car by about the fourth song. And I don't get the fuss about EMA. I bought the album and thought it was OK, nothing new or exciting, but then I saw her open for CSS and MEN, and it was just hideously boring. She was standing up there spilling out some stream of consciousness lyrics that were so transparently supposed to be raw and confessional, or whatever, and she just sounded like an asshole.
    It was California that made her boring!! Don't hate her! J/K She stinks.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 12-24-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post

No.
    What I don't get is how Florence is the new Stevie Nicks or Kate Bush. I don't even mean in the terms of quality, but stylistically too. I don't feel like there's any kind of mystique with her. Any critics who say the new album is "dark" are probably listening to nothing but Top 40 trash.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post

No.
    Ugh. I know. Someone on FB said she was the new Siouxsie. I literally gasped.
    Bon Iver? Snoozefest.
    Last edited by Stone; 12-24-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Ugh. I know.
    Bon Iver? Snoozefest.
    I could never sleep with B playing. It's really fucking irritating musux. I agree with most of the other comments, but I'm not happy with the state of popular indie music, so...There is a middle ground between diy and mainstream that really feels mediocre. I think that with more digital production there is more emphasis on production tricks (smooth, too) rather than soul. It's dentist and elevator indie. I find it cute that the diy response is cassettes and the mainstream answer was Adele.

Yes, ema iver and fleet-yards need to take a weeknd elsewhere for a bit.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    All of this tUnE-yArDs hate is killing me. I fell in love with that girl this year. She's so inventive and don't-give-a-fuck.

^ It's good for you and that's most important. I can't imagine being asked to defend Lemuria or Thinking Plague, and I wouldn't. They work for me. It is great to have space to be a whiney fuck, though.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    ^Yeah, it is. And it's great to have a place to be an arrogant prick.

I once attended a lecture on the relationship of the phallus to big music collections. Some of the guys at work think that if you listen to anything other than pop, country, or hip hop, then you think you are better than others. Operas inspired riots and rock and roll has been blamed for moral decay by pro and con sides. Music is weird.

I saw tune-Yards upon up for Goldfrapp @ the Hollywood Bowl last year and it was one the most original things i've seen..kind of a Hillbilly Bjork.